Atomic bombs on Japanese cities

Old August 7th 05, 02:28 PM
no_surrender never.net

Default Atomic bombs on Japanese cities

I'll appreciate anyone familiar with nuclear physics answering this
question.

Here is a quote from a newspaper article on the atomic bombing of Nagasaki:
"...delivered 10,000 pounds of Plutonium on the city." Is that figure
correct?

Thanks.

Dennis

Old August 7th 05, 02:59 PM
steve Taylor

no_surrender never.net wrote:
I'll appreciate anyone familiar with nuclear physics answering this
question.

Here is a quote from a newspaper article on the atomic bombing of Nagasaki:
"...delivered 10,000 pounds of Plutonium on the city." Is that figure
correct?

Nope, estimated size of the pit was 9 cm in diameter, and it weighed
6.2Kg - 13.5 pounds-ish. The whole FatMan BOMB weighed around 10,500 pounds

Steve
Old August 9th 05, 12:52 AM
no_surrender never.net

Well, folks, I got another one for you to cluck and chuckle over. A newsman
on one of our local radio stations today reported that the space shuttle
would not be able to land today, but "will hover over us" until tomorrow.

Two examples of science ignorance in the mainstream media in two days; can
hardly wait until tomorrow.

Cordially,

Dennis

"no_surrender never.net" wrote in message
Thanks to all who replied. I think we were once again treated to bad

science
by inept reporters/writers. We get that all the time in amateur astronomy,
my area interest.

Cordially,

Dennis

"Saul Levy" wrote in message
No way! We didn't have that much plutonium until much later.

Saul Levy

Old August 9th 05, 04:04 PM
Jo

In ,
no_surrender never.net typed:
Well, folks, I got another one for you to cluck and chuckle over. A
newsman on one of our local radio stations today reported that the
space shuttle would not be able to land today, but "will hover over
us" until tomorrow.

No, you have it wrong...according to BBC News 24, they came in to land at
"their base" and bad weather caused them to "take a detour" to a different
airport :-)

And as I was typing this:

"Now Discovery is down, engineers will be checking the extent of the damage
caused by the foam."

Some of these presenters are on half a mill per year :-(

Thank goodness for access to NASA TV :-)

Jo

Old August 9th 05, 04:35 PM
Steve Taylor

Jo wrote:

..according to BBC News 24, they came in to land at

................ Some of these presenters are on half a mill per year :-(

....of OUR license money !!

Steve

Old August 10th 05, 05:03 AM
Odysseus

steve Taylor wrote:

no_surrender never.net wrote:

Here is a quote from a newspaper article on the atomic bombing of Nagasaki:
"...delivered 10,000 pounds of Plutonium on the city." Is that figure
correct?

Nope, estimated size of the pit was 9 cm in diameter, and it weighed
6.2Kg - 13.5 pounds-ish. The whole FatMan BOMB weighed around 10,500 pounds

Yes: it included a great deal of high explosive, in a massive
spherical casing to direct the blast energy in a perfectly
symmetrical implosion, so as to crush the plutonium core to critical
density before the whole works disintegrated.

Unlike the "Little Boy" enriched-uranium bomb that struck Hiroshima,
the "Fat Man" design was so complex that it was deemed necessary to
test one before using it, even though at the time there was only
enough plutonium for two bombs (IIRC).

--
Odysseus
Old August 10th 05, 05:19 AM
Raving Loonie

Odysseus wrote:
steve Taylor wrote:

[...]

I shall never forget that utterly straight faced peace activist who
carried the placard ...

' No more Hiroshima '

Old August 10th 05, 01:13 PM
Painius

"Odysseus" wrote...
in message ...

steve Taylor wrote:

[...]

Yes, i read that the US pulled off a ruse with the Japanese.
Our intelligence led them to believe that we had a complete
nuclear arsenal, with several nukes just waiting to be
deployed.

And that's basically how V-J day (and the end of WWII)
came about...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-J_Day

happy days and...
starry starry nights!