Help Needed

Old September 6th 03, 02:56 AM
scratch azazel

Default Help Needed

Can any astronomy buffs help me out with astronomy questions? Is it
possible for someone in England and South Africa to see an eclipse at
the same time? I say no because the two countries are in different
hemispheres? Am I right.

Thanks in advance

Old September 6th 03, 08:35 AM
Odysseus

Mark C wrote:

"scratch azazel" wrote in message
Can any astronomy buffs help me out with astronomy questions? Is it
possible for someone in England and South Africa to see an eclipse at
the same time? I say no because the two countries are in different
hemispheres? Am I right.

Solar: No

Usually, but not quite always. On the occasions when the path of
totality passes nearly halfway between the two locations, a partial
eclipse will sometimes be visible from both.

Here's a map of the annular solar eclipse scheduled for 3 October 2005:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEplot/SEplot2001/SE2005Oct03A.gif,

which will be visible both from the UK and (just barely) from the
northern part of South Africa; picturing a similar occasion but where
the maximal point is just a little to the south, you can see that
both countries could fall entirely within the moon's penumbra, albeit
not quite at the same time.

On 29 March 2006 there will be a total eclipse, visible as a partial
from Iceland to Angola:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEplot/SEplot2001/SE2006Mar29T.gif;

this 'near miss' would become a 'hit' were its path shifted just a
few degrees to the south-by-southeast.

(An explanation of these maps may be found at

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/OH/SEplotkey.html.)

But what with the eighty-odd-degree difference in latitude I don't
think it's possible for the moon's *umbra* to cross both countries,
so they can't both experience the same total or annular solar eclipse
as such.

Lunar: Yes

Certainly. The longitudes of the two locations aren't far apart, so
they should have similar views of most lunar eclipses.

--
Odysseus
Old September 6th 03, 02:37 PM
Greg Neill

"scratch azazel" wrote in message
Can any astronomy buffs help me out with astronomy questions? Is it
possible for someone in England and South Africa to see an eclipse at
the same time? I say no because the two countries are in different
hemispheres? Am I right.

What kind of eclipse, solar or lunar?

Old September 6th 03, 08:01 PM
Bill Hennessy

An eclipse of the moon can be seen if 1) the moon is above the horizon at
both places. And 2) the diclination of the moon can be seen from both
places. One has to go far North and the other far soulth before the
diclination factor comes into play.

A eclipse of the sun is not seen over a wide area. So in that case thay can
not see the same eclipse.

KSetiSpy question Eric SETI 12 November 23rd 03 05:51 PM
2/3 inch High Performance CCD Needed Naveed ur Rahman CCD Imaging 1 October 2nd 03 06:55 PM
Chinese KT-1 launch failure? Translation needed Gunter Krebs Policy 5 September 25th 03 10:11 PM
OK do you think were solid here no big changes needed? Hallerb Space Shuttle 1 July 4th 03 09:07 AM