The "Closest-Ever Mars" Hysteria-Hype

Old August 24th 03, 04:52 PM
James Oberg

Default The "Closest-Ever Mars" Hysteria-Hype

Thanks, Michael, a number of people have shared the same impression -- it
makes me much less cynical.

"Michael Davis" wrote in message
news.com...
James Oberg wrote:
Is anybody else fed up with the "closest to Earth since Neanderthals"
hype about Mars? Is this supposed to get the public panicked or
freaked out, and make them all astronomy buffs -- until they
ACTUALLY go to a telescope, see the image -- nice but
not "as big as the MOON" in the viewer -- and feel conned.

Every astronomy club in the country (including the one I belong
to) has seized on this close Mars opposition as a way to bring in
new members. The hype brings in masses of people to public
observing events held by the clubs and at least a few of those
people always join up.

We held the first of four public Mars observing sessions Friday
night. I would estimate that 500 people showed up (not bad for a
cloudy night). People waited in line for up to an hour for the
chance to climb the ladder in our observatory and see Mars through
our 16 inch telescope (clouds permitting). Club members also set
up about a dozen other telescopes on the grounds around the
observatory to serve the huge crowd. Several were equipped with
video cameras and monitors to show Mars to large groups all at once.

While I will be the first to admit that Mars, even under the most
favorable observing conditions, is not a spectacular object, or as
interesting to look at as Jupiter or Saturn, it is still well
worth a look. I did not hear anyone complain about feeling conned
as they descended the ladder. Many people were amazingly impressed
by the view. They asked questions and chatted at length with us
about all sorts of astronomical topics both while waiting in line
and also after they got their peek at Mars. Most people seemed to
be having a good time.

You have to remember that the vast majority of people on this
planet have never seen Mars, or even looked through a large
telescope. This was a unique event for them. They did not know
that what they were seeing was a poor object in comparison to a
real showpiece like Saturn. They were not jaded by years of
viewing impressive objects through high-quality telescopes, and so
did not feel conned. They were just thrilled to be seeing another
world. Mundane Martian details like the bright white polar cap and
dark smudgy markings on the surface absolutely elated them. It was
only the long-time astronomers who were not overly impressed with
the view.

Who profits by this whipped-up frenzy?

The people selling cheap telescopes of course. Also astronomy
clubs and societies. But I think a lot of ordinary people will
profit too if this event stirs a life-long interest in astronomy
in them.

Favorite over-hype claims would also be appreciated.

Look to the astrology community for that sort of nonsense. They've
been using this close opposition of Mars to predict (and postdict)
all sorts of idiocy.

I'm thinking of writing a curmudgeonly commentary for a media client.

Be careful. Don't scare away people from a chance to get an
introduction to astronomy. It might be helpful if you steered them
away from buying cheap, useless telescopes for the event, or
pointed out that they won't get "Hubble quality" views of Mars
through a telescope, and that the wild claims of astrologers
should be ignored, but don't poo-poo the whole thing. With the sad
state of science education in this country these days, this is a
great chance for people to learn something about astronomy.

--
The Evil Michael Davis(tm)
http://mdavis19.tripod.com

"There's a sucker born every minute" - David Hannum (often
erroneously attributed to P. T. Barnum)

Old August 24th 03, 07:59 PM
Ugly Bob

"James Oberg" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks, Michael, a number of people have shared the same impression -- it
makes me much less cynical.

snip

Oh damn! I was _so_ looking forward to a "curmudgeonly
commentary."

-Ugly Bob