FARNBOROUGH: Virgin Galactic takes wraps off LauncherOne

Old July 12th 12, 05:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default FARNBOROUGH: Virgin Galactic takes wraps off LauncherOne

"Sir Richard Branson stole the show
yesterday - swooping in by helicopter
and all but renaming the event the
Farnborough space show with a star-
studded presentation of his Virgin
Galactic SpaceShip2 and a bold plan
to use the system to slash the cost
of launching small satellites."

See:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...herone-374271/
Old July 12th 12, 06:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_5_]

wrote:
"Sir Richard Branson stole the show
yesterday - swooping in by helicopter
and all but renaming the event the
Farnborough space show with a star-
studded presentation of his Virgin
Galactic SpaceShip2 and a bold plan
to use the system to slash the cost
of launching small satellites."

See:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...herone-374271/

he unveiled plans to swap SpaceShip2 for a liquid-fuel two-stage
rocket to launch small satellites by air-drop from 50,000 feet -
quickly and for less than $10 million

I guess there wasn't enough in launching 6 people at a time on a
sub-orbital hop at $200K each? I guess the order of magnitude
difference in price between 6 people going sub-orbital and a satellite
going orbital helps underscore the difference in effort.

rick jones
--
web2.0 n, the dot.com reunion tour...
Old July 12th 12, 07:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

Rick Jones scribbled something on Thursday the 12th:

I guess there wasn't enough in launching 6 people at a time on a
sub-orbital hop at $200K each? I guess the order of magnitude
difference in price between 6 people going sub-orbital and a satellite
going orbital helps underscore the difference in effort.

Even conventional airlines are as dependent on package hauling as they
are on people hauling, and carrying the mail has paid a lot of bills
for various passenger haulers.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old July 12th 12, 11:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones

Snidely wrote:
Rick Jones scribbled something on Thursday the 12th:

I guess there wasn't enough in launching 6 people at a time on a
sub-orbital hop at $200K each? I guess the order of magnitude
difference in price between 6 people going sub-orbital and a
satellite going orbital helps underscore the difference in effort.

Even conventional airlines are as dependent on package hauling as
they are on people hauling, and carrying the mail has paid a lot of
bills for various passenger haulers.

A related story - perhaps their first customer

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07...galactic_deal/

rick jones
- Rick Jones
Old July 13th 12, 10:35 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Anthony Frost

In message
Rick Jones wrote:

I guess there wasn't enough in launching 6 people at a time on a
sub-orbital hop at $200K each? I guess the order of magnitude
difference in price between 6 people going sub-orbital and a satellite
going orbital helps underscore the difference in effort.

Alternatively it shows the difference between flights on a reusable
vehicle and those on one-shots.

Anthony

Old July 13th 12, 05:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Doug Freyburger

Rick Jones wrote:

I guess there wasn't enough in launching 6 people at a time on a
sub-orbital hop at $200K each? I guess the order of magnitude
difference in price between 6 people going sub-orbital and a satellite
going orbital helps underscore the difference in effort.

If you can take 6 people up at financial break even that should mean you
can send a small satellite to orbit and turn a profit. Huge gain in the
state of the art.
Old July 13th 12, 11:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones

Doug Freyburger wrote:
Jeff Findley wrote:
says...
Rick Jones wrote:

I guess there wasn't enough in launching 6 people at a time on
a sub-orbital hop at $200K each? I guess the order of
magnitude difference in price between 6 people going
sub-orbital and a satellite going orbital helps underscore the
difference in effort.

If you can take 6 people up at financial break even that should
mean you can send a small satellite to orbit and turn a profit.
Huge gain in the state of the art.

Please excuse the pun, but the small-sat market is
rather... small. Unless they can bring the price down well below
the competition (like Orbital Sciences Corporation), they won't be
able to grow this market much.

Is OSC down to $200k per launch now? Excellent.

$200K is the price for a human to go sub-orbital, and that probably
presumes there are 5 other paying customers coming along for the
ride. (IIRC the capacity of a SpaceShipTwo is 6 passengers plus crew).
For a satellite launch I believe the expected price from Virgin
Galacit is on the order of $10 Million.

rick jones
--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.