80mm binoc scope in Orion

Old April 2nd 04, 04:11 AM
Dave & Janelle

Default 80mm binoc scope in Orion

Hi all:

I'm casting a wandering eye toward the 80mm binoc scope in the Orion
catalog. Does anyone out there own one? Any experiences to share?

---
Dave Boll
http://www.daveboll.com/

Old April 2nd 04, 05:05 AM
Al

I don't know anything about the Orion, but a few days ago a frequent poster
left this link for a new line of binoculars. 50, 60, 80 and 100mm at a
super price and all equipped with a flick on and off nebula filter.
www.apogeeinc.com I couldn't resist, so I ordered a pair. Check it out.

Al

Old April 2nd 04, 02:50 PM
Jon Isaacs

I don't know anything about the Orion,

I think that must be the 80mm Vixen scope that uses standard 1.25 inch, goes on
a serious mount and is pretty much two matched scope side by side.

50, 60, 80 and 100mm at a
super price and all equipped with a flick on and off nebula filter.
www.apogeeinc.com I couldn't resist, so I ordered a pair.

I guess you're the Guinea Pig, let us know how they work out.

Jon

Old April 2nd 04, 05:27 PM
Daniel A. Mitchell

I think the original poster was referring to the Vixen 80mm binos? I've
SEEN these, and they LOOKED nice, but I've not tried to use them. Vixen
stuff is generally decent.

I do have the larger Vixen 20X125 mm binos, and I'm totally satisfied
with them, relative to their cost. They are not 'apos', and do exhibit
some color fringing on small bright objects (planets), but are otherwise
excellent. They produce a nice sharp image over a very large portion of
their wide field of view. The only convnetional binos I've seen that do
better are a LOT more expensive.

And there are always the 6" and 10" JMI retro binos. These are STRANGE,
but seem to work well. I go to use them at Astrofest last fall. The 6"
was GREAT, but the prototype for the 10" still had a few bugs
(frame-flex problems). It worked well when you could get the images to
coincide. I see it's now listed as an available item, so supposedly the
problems have been corrected.

Dan Mitchell