ASTRO: M26 Another lost file

Old February 2nd 08, 06:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M26 Another lost file

It was really lost as I had it under NGC 26! I'd even processed it
though I did it in my early color days and it looks a lot better now
that I know a bit more about color processing than I did back then.
This one has been lost since the fall of 2006! I've found 2 more lost M
objects filed as NGC objects. I haven't looked to see if they are
usable or not yet. Before I got into digital imaging I'd see posts of
folks who found lost files on their hard drive. I couldn't understand
how it could happen. Anyway I now am a victim though I still don't know
how I managed it.

It does get a bit lost in the Scutum Star Cloud.

It's a bit thin on Lum data with only 10 minutes. I don't remember why
I took so little. It may have run into my Meridian Tree and I just
never picked it up on the other side. Still for stars only it does
work. I only had the 14" a few weeks when I took this. Back then I was
using Meade's electric focuser, it vignetted the corners and couldn't
support the weight of the camera and sagged causing rotten star images
on one side of the image. I reduced the size and cropped cropped off
the worst of the stars putting the cluster off center. I could have
cropped the other side too I suppose but its stars weren't so bad so
left them in.

14" LX200R @ f/10, LRGB=2x5' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M26L2X5RGB2X5R.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	1660
Old February 4th 08, 10:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Looks great Rick! I love images with LOTS of stars

Rick Johnson wrote:
[...]

N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old February 5th 08, 03:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Hey Rick, how about getting a few more stars the next time you take
M-26.......

Beautiful picture!

George N

Old February 5th 08, 03:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

One other point I thought of when looking at this image:

Some folks think open clusters are less interesting than other objects. All
I can say is that they need to observe them thru a 6" F/12 Astro-Physics
refractor under a dark sky!

George N

Old February 5th 08, 05:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

George Normandin wrote:
"Rick Johnson" wrote

Hey Rick, how about getting a few more stars the next time you take
M-26.......

Beautiful picture!

George N

I'll see what I can do. That only went to about 20th magnitude, I can
hit 22 with longer subs on a really dark night. Maybe not that low in
the sky however. I'll see if I can "prove" Olbers wrong and turn the
frame white.

Rick

Old February 5th 08, 05:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

George Normandin wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote

One other point I thought of when looking at this image:

Some folks think open clusters are less interesting than other objects. All
I can say is that they need to observe them thru a 6" F/12 Astro-Physics
refractor under a dark sky!

George N

My 6" f12 spherical Newtonian is an excellent open cluster scope even
with its tiny 0.5" secondary. Sort of a poor mans A-P refractor.

Rick

Old February 5th 08, 06:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Beautiful picture Rick. When one looks at the "background" stars it seems
like it can't get more crowded, but M26 is still obvious.

Stefan