Nor Cal Flooding

Old December 31st 05, 11:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Nor Cal Flooding

"Starlord" wrote in message
I could always make you some of my Super Grow Sun Cooked Steer Manure

Tea !

I think I'll *pass* on that one...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.6
Longitude: -112.3

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
Jan Owen wrote:

Bull**** can be a good thing, if used properly.

I think Dennis knows how to use it properly.

Others here on SAA have not learned this yet... Maybe some day...

{;^)

Alas, 'tis true!

Old December 31st 05, 11:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Starlord wrote:
I could always make you some of my Super Grow Sun Cooked Steer Manure Tea !

Umm .. scary :-)
Old December 31st 05, 11:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

G.T.wrote - Well in Small Part

Ah, cool, I grew up in Sylmar but just moved to La Canada. I'm not that
familiar with the area yet, especially the history, so that's a nice
piece of information.

I also grew up (well some would say I never grew up. No Matter) in Sylmar
(1953 - 1967), on Glenoaks Blvd. 1/2 way between Beaver St. and Aztec.
Caught my first Bass in Hansen Dam (which was build for Flood Control
because of a Flood in the late 30's that removed a few dozen Houses) back
befor is was turned into a Gravel Pit.
Remember almost every year after a good rain the Parking Lot and Boat
ramp there were under water - Funny seeing a No Parking sign on a 7' Pole
that only had part of the sign above water.

Crazy Ed

Old January 1st 06, 04:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Boy, do I know a few old names for Hansen Dam. Do you remember when it
had Pop's Willow Lakes there?

There are still plenty of trout in the Big Tujunga Creek, but almost no
one knows where to go.

I've taken my son (now 25) to some of the great spots up there. Does
anyone ever plan star parties up at Chilao Flats? Lots of trees, but
you've gotta figure that the seeing is usually nice.

Sounds like there are a lot of us East Valley people out here.

We moved to Granada Hills when I was between 9th and 10th grade, so I
missed Verdugo. There was an upside; one fellow that was on the high
school track team and in trig with me was Geoff. He's now Dr. Geoff
Marcy at UC Berkeley, one of the first people to publish in the area of
extra solar planets. I was able to track him down and we've emailed a
few times. Never know where any of us will go in life, do we?

Still, my home town will always be Sunland. Anyone remember Harding's
Market, on Foothill Blvd? Wiped out in the 1971 earthquake, but I have
many happy memories of the place.

Happy New Years and Auld Lang to all.

Richard, who got out of the Valley

Old January 1st 06, 12:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I think it's a lot higher than 3000 ft. You're almost at Cloudburst
Summit, which is over 7000. Ever been to Buckhorn Campground there?

Old January 3rd 06, 02:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Almost back to normal at my house, just finished hosing the mud out of the
garage. Hosed off my mirror, while I was at it. Scopes are safe, vehicle
is safe, streets are a real mess. A few homes here have been hit by
falling trees, a few more destroyed by mudslides. Nobody killed or
seriously injured, but I can assure you we'll remember New Year's Eve,
2005.
At least all the activity made the cloudy days go by quickly, now maybe I
can get back to some observing, once the atmosphere settles down a bit.
It's VERY unstable now, almost thunderstormy, if that is a word.

It will be awhile before the downtown businesses are back up to speed.
Neighboring San Anselmo was hit pretty hard too.
The Governator is declaring this county under a state of emergency.

More Later,
Uncle Bob

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 06:50:15 -0800, Uncle Bob wrote:

I am listening to a scanner. The police and fire are overwhelmed.
There is currently 3 feet of water rushing down Park Road in Fairfax,
the street I live on. I have about 6" of water in my garage, and it seems
to be rising--hard to tell.
Marin County, north of San Francisco is treading water. Highway 101, the
busiest state route is closed.
This may be the last dispatch from here for awhile. I hope not, but you
never know. I'm boiling water for drinking, in case the utilities go out.
Mercifully, they've remained on thusfar. At 4am I was awakened by heavy
rain. Looked outside to see the street had literally become a river.
Just managed to get my truck to higher ground (not much higher, but
enough so far.), by wading through thigh deep water.
This is as bad or worse than the flooding we had in 1982, and unless I'm
sadly mistaken, we will be featured on the nightly news in your town.

There are a lot of evacuations going on here. It is literally women and
children first. Elderly. (all this via police scanner).
Troubling thing is, the rain has not abated at all, though there is hope
by this afternoon it may back of to showers.

I certainly hope that 20" Cassegrain was worth all the trouble you caused
here in California.

;-)

Ya gotta have a laugh sometimes in situations like this!

Getting ready to move to Idaho...
Uncle Bob
Fairfax, CA

Old January 3rd 06, 05:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Uncle Bob wrote:

It will be awhile before the downtown businesses are back up to speed.
Neighboring San Anselmo was hit pretty hard too.

Father Guido Sarducci (Don Novello, in real life) is one of the blessed
residents of San Anselmo. If you come across any stylish rosary beads
that appear to have washed downhill, they're probably his.

--
Mark Gingrich San Leandro, California
Old January 3rd 06, 08:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:59:48 -0800, G.T. wrote:

There's also Stony Ridge Observatory up there but I haven't been to
it, I forget who runs it.

It's a private observatory run by the members. See http://stony-ridge.org/

Mike Simmons