Enjoy - Hitler's Flying Saucers

Old January 6th 07, 04:49 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jim Davis

Default Enjoy - Hitler's Flying Saucers

This book is hilarious!! And it's all online at:

http://missilegate.com/rfz/index.htm

Enjoy!

Jim Davis
Old January 6th 07, 08:36 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Jim Davis wrote:

This book is hilarious!! And it's all online at:

http://missilegate.com/rfz/index.htm

That is a fun read, I stumbled on it a few weeks back.
They actually did make a disc-shaped aircraft during the war - this thing:
http://www.luft46.com/misc/sackas6.html
It proved to be completely unflyable.

Pat
Old January 6th 07, 12:19 PM posted to sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_2_]

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

They actually did make a disc-shaped aircraft during the war - this
thing: http://www.luft46.com/misc/sackas6.html
It proved to be completely unflyable.

Even the bad ideas are fascinating.

--Damon

Old January 6th 07, 04:12 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Damon Hill wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

They actually did make a disc-shaped aircraft during the war - this
thing: http://www.luft46.com/misc/sackas6.html
It proved to be completely unflyable.

Even the bad ideas are fascinating.

That's got an very interesting idea incorporated in it; just ahead of
the vertical fin there's a door that allows airflow from the underbelly
to come through the upper surface of the disc-wing and flow over the
vertical fin when it's at high angles of attack.
We actually got our disc-type aircraft idea to work quite well:
http://www.unrealaircraft.com/wings/cv_flapjack.php
http://www.daveswarbirds.com/usplane...t/flapjack.htm

Pat

Old January 6th 07, 05:45 PM posted to sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_2_]

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

We actually got our disc-type aircraft idea to work quite well:
http://www.unrealaircraft.com/wings/cv_flapjack.php
http://www.daveswarbirds.com/usplane...t/flapjack.htm

The V-173 viewed from overhead looks a bit like a sunfish, or
mola mola. Too bad the advanced design never got a real chance
to be tested, but on the ground it looks right awkward having
to tilt way up for prop clearance. A fully jet-only version
would probably been quite a bit different; the props were
probably necessary for take-off lift with airflow over the
wing/body.

--Damon
Old January 6th 07, 07:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Damon Hill wrote:

The V-173 viewed from overhead looks a bit like a sunfish, or
mola mola. Too bad the advanced design never got a real chance
to be tested, but on the ground it looks right awkward having
to tilt way up for prop clearance. A fully jet-only version
would probably been quite a bit different; the props were
probably necessary for take-off lift with airflow over the
wing/body.

I assume that would be the case, although maybe you could stick thrust
vectoring vanes in the jet exhaust.
But I think a lot of its stability was due to the fact it was hanging
under its propellors.
The coolest flying saucers ever were the Avro "Silverbug":
http://www.cufon.org/cufon/Silverbug.pdf
http://www.laesieworks.com/ifo/lib/AVRO-Silverbug.html
And the Couzinet one:
http://www.laesieworks.com/ifo/lib/V....html#couzinet

Pat
Old January 7th 07, 10:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
mike flugennock

Pat Flannery wrote:

Jim Davis wrote:

This book is hilarious!! And it's all online at:

http://missilegate.com/rfz/index.htm

That is a fun read, I stumbled on it a few weeks back.
They actually did make a disc-shaped aircraft during the war - this thing:
http://www.luft46.com/misc/sackas6.html
It proved to be completely unflyable.

Wow, love that view from above/below. Just paint a goddamn bulls-eye on
the thing.

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org
Old January 7th 07, 10:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
mike flugennock

Damon Hill wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote in
:

They actually did make a disc-shaped aircraft during the war - this
thing: http://www.luft46.com/misc/sackas6.html
It proved to be completely unflyable.

Even the bad ideas are fascinating.

You mean, bad, or bad and _weird_?
http://www.luft46.com/bv/bvp111.html

....or, even better:
http://www.luft46.com/mrart/mrvto.html

--

..

Old January 7th 07, 10:16 PM posted to sci.space.history
mike flugennock

Pat Flannery wrote:

Damon Hill wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

They actually did make a disc-shaped aircraft during the war - this
thing: http://www.luft46.com/misc/sackas6.html
It proved to be completely unflyable.

Even the bad ideas are fascinating.

That's got an very interesting idea incorporated in it; just ahead of
the vertical fin there's a door that allows airflow from the underbelly
to come through the upper surface of the disc-wing and flow over the
vertical fin when it's at high angles of attack.
We actually got our disc-type aircraft idea to work quite well:
http://www.unrealaircraft.com/wings/cv_flapjack.php

Jayzus. Do you remember around 1973 or so, when the theme of an issue of
the National Lampoon was "Postwar", and they had a fold-out poster of
some of the supposedly-unsung heroic fighters of WW2? It was a
collection of some of the weirdest, most improbable, good-****ing-luck
fighter designs (at least at the immediate post-WW2 era). A lot of the
Blohm'n'Voss concepts at the Luft'46 site are like that.

_This_ goddamn' thing looks like it could be on that National Lampoon
poster, as could the experimental German VTOL saucer -- sort of a
"secret saucer", or maybe a "saucerful of secrets", as it were -- at

Old January 7th 07, 11:26 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

mike flugennock wrote:
That is a fun read, I stumbled on it a few weeks back.
They actually did make a disc-shaped aircraft during the war - this
thing:
http://www.luft46.com/misc/sackas6.html
It proved to be completely unflyable.

Wow, love that view from above/below. Just paint a goddamn bulls-eye
on the thing.

I've got a model of it.
It's nickname was "the flying beer platter".
This concept was fairly odd also: http://www.luft46.com/fw/fwvtol.html
You really want to get people's attention, stick one of these in among
your model Komets and Natters:
http://www.geocities.com/unicraftmod...rad1/frad1.htm
http://www.geocities.com/unicraftmod...rad3/frad3.htm
If somebody asks you if the Germans really designed those things, answer
"I could tell you, but then I'd have to send you to our secret Antarctic
base....JAH, MEIN FUHRER?!" :-D
There's a tiny chance that they might be based on something real, but
the general consensus is that they are pure BS.
(Pat turns around and pats a penguin on its head... the penguin raises
its right wing stiffly.)

Pat