History of August's eclipse?

Old July 23rd 17, 09:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Keith F. Lynch

Default History of August's eclipse?

When and by whom was the August 21 eclipse first predicted? I'm
pretty sure it's older than the US, but it is older than the Jamestown
settlement? Thanks.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
Old July 23rd 17, 11:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Keith F. Lynch:
When and by whom was the August 21 eclipse first predicted? I'm
pretty sure it's older than the US, but it is older than the Jamestown
settlement? Thanks.

Ptolemy, c. 140 CE.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 24th 17, 01:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 18:24:31 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Keith F. Lynch:
When and by whom was the August 21 eclipse first predicted? I'm
pretty sure it's older than the US, but it is older than the Jamestown
settlement? Thanks.

Ptolemy, c. 140 CE.

I think Ptolemy was able to use Saros cycles to predict the date of
future eclipses, but he certainly couldn't say where on Earth they'd
be visible except for some special cases.

I don't think the time AND location of eclipses started becoming
possible to calculate until the 17th century.
Old July 24th 17, 08:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 20:33:26 +0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
wrote:
When and by whom was the August 21 eclipse first predicted? I'm
pretty sure it's older than the US, but it is older than the

Jamestown
settlement? Thanks.

The first time this particular eclipse was predicted was most likely
by Theodor von Oppolzer in his "Canon der Finsternisse" (Canon of
Eclipses), published in 1887. It included all solar and lunar
eclipses from 1207BC to 2161CE.

While it certainly was possible for astronomers to fairly accurately
predict solar eclipses one or two centuries before that, Oppolzer was
the first to predict every eclipse during an extended time period.
The actual numerical prediction was probably done by one of the five
computers (humans hired to do computations by hand) that Oppolzer
hired. But Oppolzer supervised all the computations.
Old July 24th 17, 02:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Keith F. Lynch:
When and by whom was the August 21 eclipse first predicted? I'm
pretty sure it's older than the US, but it is older than the Jamestown
settlement? Thanks.

Davoud:
Ptolemy, c. 140 CE.

Chris L Peterson:
I think Ptolemy was able to use Saros cycles to predict the date of
future eclipses, but he certainly couldn't say where on Earth they'd
be visible except for some special cases.

I don't think the time AND location of eclipses started becoming
possible to calculate until the 17th century.

It was Ptolemy. And when he calculated the 2024 eclipse and found that
the two paths would intersect in southern Illinois he named the
crossing point "Koilada Anthraka" after his summer retreat in
Macedonia. That was translated as "Carbondale" when English-speaking
peoples settled in Illinois.

Old July 24th 17, 02:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 09:01:25 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Keith F. Lynch:
When and by whom was the August 21 eclipse first predicted? I'm
pretty sure it's older than the US, but it is older than the Jamestown
settlement? Thanks.

Davoud:
Ptolemy, c. 140 CE.

Chris L Peterson:
I think Ptolemy was able to use Saros cycles to predict the date of
future eclipses, but he certainly couldn't say where on Earth they'd
be visible except for some special cases.

I don't think the time AND location of eclipses started becoming
possible to calculate until the 17th century.

It was Ptolemy. And when he calculated the 2024 eclipse and found that
the two paths would intersect in southern Illinois he named the
crossing point "Koilada Anthraka" after his summer retreat in
Macedonia. That was translated as "Carbondale" when English-speaking
peoples settled in Illinois.

You are mistaken. I know for a fact that Ptolemy's summer retreat was
a hidden chamber inside the Great Pyramid.
Old July 24th 17, 04:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 8:22:08 AM UTC-5, Chris L Peterson wrote:
[...]

Couldn't possibly be. That chamber was used for grain storage.

Razzy

Old July 24th 17, 04:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Davoud:
It was Ptolemy. And when he calculated the 2024 eclipse and found that
the two paths would intersect in southern Illinois he named the
crossing point "Koilada Anthraka" after his summer retreat in
Macedonia. That was translated as "Carbondale" when English-speaking
peoples settled in Illinois.

Chris L Peterson:
You are mistaken. I know for a fact that Ptolemy's summer retreat was
a hidden chamber inside the Great Pyramid.

You forget that I lived a stone's throw from the Pyramids at Giza for
four years. Believe me, nobody wants a summer home there.

Old July 24th 17, 05:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 11:44:43 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Davoud:
It was Ptolemy. And when he calculated the 2024 eclipse and found that
the two paths would intersect in southern Illinois he named the
crossing point "Koilada Anthraka" after his summer retreat in
Macedonia. That was translated as "Carbondale" when English-speaking
peoples settled in Illinois.

Chris L Peterson:
You are mistaken. I know for a fact that Ptolemy's summer retreat was
a hidden chamber inside the Great Pyramid.

You forget that I lived a stone's throw from the Pyramids at Giza for
four years. Believe me, nobody wants a summer home there.

I recall it being rather cool inside the pyramid chambers. But in any
case, did you live in Egypt two millennia ago? Because the simple
extrapolation backwards of our climatic trend makes it clear that the
entire area was underneath ice at the time.