King Fire

Old September 19th 14, 10:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

Default King Fire

Placer County Water Agency:
"The mammoth King Fire spread rapidly into Placer County Wednesday
night. … The head of the fire has moved all the way to Placer County
Water Agency’s Hell Hole Reservoir on the Rubicon River. It seriously
threatens PCWA power generation and PG&E transmission facilities. The
swath of fire in Placer County is 6 miles wide and fire officials report
no containment after last night."

For those unfamiliar with the area, they are talking about where people
often end up when lost out of bounds from Alpine ski slopes.

About 80,000 acres already, and the fire is headed in the direction of
Truckee, Squaw, or Alpine, about equal distance from each on slightly
different bearings. Wind will decide. The ski hills are both sparsely
forested and should fare well. Lifts are more vulnerable, I would
suppose - mostly steel but sufficient man-made stuff to mess up if swept
by even a ground fire. Buildings are all wood sided.

Truckee has much of it's housing (including my Mansion on the fire side
of town) embedded in forested areas - no guaranteed natural fire breaks.

Not good. Bud not yet disaster.

Lucky for Squaw I already paid for passes and locker. g
Old September 19th 14, 10:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

On 9/19/14 2:38 PM, lal_truckee wrote:

Sorry - meant for a ski group.

IGNORE

Placer County Water Agency:

CUT

Fire Libel and The Trisection of Fire Kevin Barry Misc 1 August 16th 13 01:46 AM
Ed Conrad Knocks 'Em Dead on Larry King Live -- The King Is Speechless Ed Conrad Astronomy Misc 1 April 6th 07 01:45 AM
Ship's Tour Of My Universe To Begin - Call To Arms! Duty Stations! Fire When Ready! Cease Fire Procola! Pt. I/III William Rose Amateur Astronomy 0 March 22nd 07 10:56 PM
All the King's Men Twittering One Misc 1 November 8th 04 12:23 AM
All the King's horses and all the King's men... Ed Conrad Astronomy Misc 1 October 28th 03 11:13 PM