A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Astronomy and Astrophysics » Amateur Astronomy
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Change in average global temperature from 1880 to 2014 - Nasa

Old September 15th 14, 10:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2
external usenet poster

Default Change in average global temperature from 1880 to 2014 - Nasa

Interesting chart:

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/ta...LB.Ts+dSST.txt

Uncahotdog
Old September 15th 14, 11:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 15, 2014 4:50:59 PM UTC-5, Uncarollo2 wrote:
Interesting chart:

Uncahotdog

Our scientifically illiterate politicians:

"I have flown twice over Mount St. Helens out on our West Coast. I'm not a scientist and I don't know the figures, but I have a suspicion that that one little mountain has probably released more sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere of the world than has been released in the last ten years of automobile driving or things of that kind that people are so concerned about."

- President Ronald Reagan, 1980

Not quite. Cars emit about 81,000 tons of sulfur dioxide per day, while Mount St. Helens emitted only about 2,000 tons.

Old September 15th 14, 11:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 15, 2014 5:28:21 PM UTC-5, Uncarollo2 wrote:

Interesting chart:

Uncahotdog

"I have flown twice over Mount St. Helens out on our West Coast. I'm not a scientist and I don't know the figures, but I have a suspicion that that one little mountain has probably released more sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere of the world than has been released in the last ten years of automobile driving or things of that kind that people are so concerned about."

Not quite. Cars emit about 81,000 tons of sulfur dioxide per day, while Mount St. Helens emitted only about 2,000 tons.

"Is there some thought being given to subsidizing the clearing of rainforests in order for some countries to eliminate that production of greenhouse gases?"

-Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-California), when asked whether the U.S. climate policy should focus on reducing carbon emissions.

Rainforests actually absorb far more carbon dioxide than they emit.
Old September 15th 14, 11:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2
external usenet poster

Interesting chart:

Uncahotdog

"What the science says is that temperatures peaked out globally in 1998. So we've gone for 10-plus years where the temperatures have gone down."

- Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wisconsin), 2009 in an interview with conservative radio show host Jay Weber.

The mean global temperature has in fact been increasing since 1998.
Old September 15th 14, 11:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2
external usenet poster

Interesting chart:

Uncahotdog

This is a fun fact:

"Mars is essentially in the same orbit [as Earth]....Mars is somewhat the same distance from the sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

- Dan Quayle, former vice president, commenting on President George H.W. Bush's Space Exploration Initiative as quoted in This New Ocean by William E. Burrows.
Old September 16th 14, 04:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_1_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 15, 2014 5:50:59 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:
Interesting chart:

Why do you have multiple posts...responding to yourself?

Old September 16th 14, 05:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 15, 2014 10:50:59 PM UTC+1, Uncarollo2 wrote:
Interesting chart:

Uncahotdog

Did you hear the one about the scientists who couldn't manage to extrapolate a rotating Earth from a temperature graphs where the peaks and troughs are generated in response to one rotation each day ? -

http://prairieecosystems.pbworks.com...0variation.jpg

" It is a fact not generally known that,owing to the difference between solar and sidereal time,the Earth rotates upon its axis once more often than there are days in the year" NASA /Harvard

By all accounts we should be having a discussion on the Earth's largely Equatorial climate but with extremists running amok in astronomy there is no room for meaningful discussion. I find it cruel but that is just me.

Old September 16th 14, 05:51 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 15, 2014 9:35:37 PM UTC-7, oriel36 wrote:

I find it cruel but that is just me.

Yes, it is just you...
Old September 16th 14, 06:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:51:43 AM UTC+1, palsing wrote:
On Monday, September 15, 2014 9:35:37 PM UTC-7, oriel36 wrote:

I find it cruel but that is just me.

Yes, it is just you...

Why bother replying if that is all you have to say ?.

It is extreme cruelty to force through an idea that the Earth is into the next full rotation after 23 hours 56 minutes when a daily temperature graph demonstrates that no such horror exists. February 29th ,as both a day and rotation when the temperatures will peak and trough along with all the others, provides an opportunity to explain the proportion between rotations and days and so many more things .

There is enough cruelty out there in the world not to bring it into astronomy and its relationship with terrestrial sciences and especially these basic but lovely facts even when wrapped up in a simple temperature graph.

Old September 16th 14, 09:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]
external usenet poster

In a world that is all too eager to act as a pseudo-authority on matters which it has no feeling for, something as simple as a daily temperature graph brings observers back to what matters even if a graph doesn't really capture the progression of a day and a rotation of our home planet -

Some people who get older think they know how the world works and act accordingly whereas a small minority also knows how the world works yet continue to act independently and in spite of stupidity and hostility. This is what separates the compliant from the productive and creative and it has always been like that.