A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Astronomy and Astrophysics » Amateur Astronomy
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

M27 in narrowband

Old August 29th 14, 01:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2
external usenet poster

Default M27 in narrowband

We finally had one decent night where the clouds parted briefly and I was able to get 1 hour each of H-a, OIII and SIII. The SIII was at the end of the session where thin clouds started drifting through, so this is a very preliminary narrowband image. It was taken with my QSI 683 camera attached to a new 180F9 scope that is under test.

I was pleased with the resolution of this setup, with the QSI working at 0..69 arc sec per pixel, and the seeing was good enough to achieve 1.4 arc sec FWHM in each 10 minute sub.

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...3.jpg&caption=

Why narrowband? Since my observatory is now surrounded by malls with high power parking lot lights, I can't really see much anymore here, even on very clear nights. Typically I can see 5 or 6 of the brightest stars, Vega, Deneb, etc., but not much else. The sky is almost milky white here with huge patches of reddish doom to the south and west. A local restaurant also has four spotlights/floodlights, aimed outward, which shine almost directly at my observatory. So, the next best thing for my situation is to image with narrowband filters, and get my deep sky fix that way.

Uncadeepsky
Old August 29th 14, 02:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:16:11 PM UTC-7, Uncarollo2 wrote:
We finally had one decent night where the clouds parted briefly and I was able to get 1 hour each of H-a, OIII and SIII. The SIII was at the end of the session where thin clouds started drifting through, so this is a very preliminary narrowband image. It was taken with my QSI 683 camera attached to a new 180F9 scope that is under test.

I was pleased with the resolution of this setup, with the QSI working at 0.69 arc sec per pixel, and the seeing was good enough to achieve 1.4 arc sec FWHM in each 10 minute sub.

Why narrowband? Since my observatory is now surrounded by malls with high power parking lot lights, I can't really see much anymore here, even on very clear nights. Typically I can see 5 or 6 of the brightest stars, Vega, Deneb, etc., but not much else. The sky is almost milky white here with huge patches of reddish doom to the south and west. A local restaurant also has four spotlights/floodlights, aimed outward, which shine almost directly at my observatory. So, the next best thing for my situation is to image with narrowband filters, and get my deep sky fix that way.

Uncadeepsky

Well, THAT photo doesn't look much like an apple core :) Thanks for sharing.

\Paul A
Old August 29th 14, 03:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Michael Asherman[_2_]
external usenet poster

Nice!

"Uncarollo2" wrote in message

We finally had one decent night where the clouds parted briefly and I was
able to get 1 hour each of H-a, OIII and SIII. The SIII was at the end of
the session where thin clouds started drifting through, so this is a very
preliminary narrowband image. It was taken with my QSI 683 camera attached
to a new 180F9 scope that is under test.

I was pleased with the resolution of this setup, with the QSI working at
0.69 arc sec per pixel, and the seeing was good enough to achieve 1.4 arc
sec FWHM in each 10 minute sub.

Why narrowband? Since my observatory is now surrounded by malls with high
power parking lot lights, I can't really see much anymore here, even on very
clear nights. Typically I can see 5 or 6 of the brightest stars, Vega,
Deneb, etc., but not much else. The sky is almost milky white here with huge
patches of reddish doom to the south and west. A local restaurant also has
four spotlights/floodlights, aimed outward, which shine almost directly at
my observatory. So, the next best thing for my situation is to image with
narrowband filters, and get my deep sky fix that way.

Uncadeepsky

Old August 29th 14, 04:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2
external usenet poster

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:08:29 PM UTC-5, palsing wrote:
On Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:16:11 PM UTC-7, Uncarollo2 wrote:

I was pleased with the resolution of this setup, with the QSI working at 0.69 arc sec per pixel, and the seeing was good enough to achieve 1.4 arc sec FWHM in each 10 minute sub.

Uncadeepsky

Well, THAT photo doesn't look much like an apple core :) Thanks for sharing.

\Paul A

Maybe more like an exploding grape?

What's interesting to me is that this object is dominated by OxygenIII (blue stuff) with the green clouds of Hydrogen-alpha floating above and the red Sulfur-II kind of pushed to the outside of the bubble.

Uncanarrowband
Old August 29th 14, 04:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2
external usenet poster

On Friday, August 29, 2014 9:48:00 AM UTC-5, Michael Asherman wrote:
Nice!

merci beaucoup!
Old August 30th 14, 02:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_1_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:16:11 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

Uncadeepsky

The only solution (visually) for light pollution is aperture and filters. I lived under similar circumstances and with an OXYIII and 11" SCT I was able to see the Veil nebula with good texture and detail. Smaller scopes, it's a tough slog.
Good image!
Old September 9th 14, 05:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]
external usenet poster

Uncadeepsky

Fine image, Uncarollo! Saving that one. Thanks for sharing.
Old September 10th 14, 06:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 11:36:53 AM UTC-5, Ben wrote:

Uncadeepsky

Fine image, Uncarollo! Saving that one. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Ben.

I had a chance to add some more data over the next few nights, so here is a deeper image of M27 showing the outer nebula:

http://www.buytelescopes.com/content...stretched.jpeg