Glorious Globular

Old June 17th 17, 07:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default Glorious Globular

On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 12:04:28 UTC-4, Razzmatazz wrote:
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 12:58:10 AM UTC-5, Chris.B wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 June 2017 18:09:48 UTC+2, Razzmatazz wrote:
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 2:52:30 AM UTC-5, Martin Brown wrote:
On 13/06/2017 00:06, Razzmatazz wrote:
M13 is now at a good point, high up at night. A quick (very quick) look at this bauble.

https://www.astromart.com/common/ima...7.jpg&caption=

AP 17" F8 Astrograph
STL11K camera
Single 5 minute Luminance exposure
AP1600 mount

Magnificent! How long an exposure?

Can you find the very small background galaxy in this image? It's at magnitude 18.

Is it the streak about 1/5 across and just over half way up left side?

I quite like the little asterism near the bottom with two equal
brightness stars symmetrically either side of a brighter one making a
fake Saturn appearance. 1/3 across the bottom.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The exposure was 5 minutes, a single exposure.
Yes, the mag 18 galaxy is about half way up the left side.

Razzy

Thanks for sharing your image.

Do you suppose the impertinent troll would be happier on sci.****forbrains?
None of them can produce their own images, to save themselves.
But they are very keen on [completely wrong] interpretation of YouTubeToothpaste.
It's a bit like pseudo-science, tea leaf reading with extreme delusions of grandeur.
Back in the good old days [which they worship] they'd be incarcerated for their own good.
These days they just call it Care in the Community and pray they keep taking their meds.

Well, over here we just voted to allow mentally ill people have guns.

And for the last 50 years, liberals and psychiatrists have fought to keep these same people from being committed to mental asylums or kept in jail.
Old June 17th 17, 07:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 12:18:22 UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 09:04:24 -0700 (PDT), Razzmatazz
wrote:

Well, over here we just voted to allow mentally ill people have guns. As many guns as they want. I believe it's to insure gun worker jobs, because coal miners are losing theirs.
Also, in this country there are a lot of rattle snakes, so ya gotta be prepared. In fact this morning as I was about to put on my shoes, one of them popped out of my shoe and I grabbed my Bushmaster and shot it dead! Believe me! Upon closer examination of the carcass it turned out to be a centipede. Well, you know that you hafta impede those centipedes, dontcha?

Bushmaster? You midwesterners are real wusses. Out here in the west,
we use RPGs for pest control.

Well look at Oregon. People there only use knives and bricks, but only at public gatherings.
Old June 17th 17, 09:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

wrote:

Well, over here we just voted to allow mentally ill people have guns. As many guns as they want. I believe it's to insure gun worker jobs, because coal miners are losing theirs.
Also, in this country there are a lot of rattle snakes, so ya gotta be prepared. In fact this morning as I was about to put on my shoes, one of them popped out of my shoe and I grabbed my Bushmaster and shot it dead! Believe me! Upon closer examination of the carcass it turned out to be a centipede. Well, you know that you hafta impede those centipedes, dontcha?

Bushmaster? You midwesterners are real wusses. Out here in the west,
we use RPGs for pest control.

Well, we have small tactical nukes here, but we keep them safely in our basements and just bring 'em out for thinning buffalo herds.

Razzy

Dear Mr. Left-wing, anti-gun moralist. The site you post on and pay to BE on, Astromart, is part of Anacortes. Anacortes SELLS guns. All KINDS of guns! So why don't you (instead of being a liberal hypocrite) just "walk the walk." Or, join in the FUN!
https://www.anacortesgunshop.com/use...-762x39-150304

Old June 17th 17, 11:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

RichA wrote:
[...]

You seem to be suffering from selective amnesia. The right wingers shut the
residential units to save money.

Old June 17th 17, 02:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

wrote:

Well, over here we just voted to allow mentally ill people have guns. As many guns as they want. I believe it's to insure gun worker jobs, because coal miners are losing theirs.
Also, in this country there are a lot of rattle snakes, so ya gotta be prepared. In fact this morning as I was about to put on my shoes, one of them popped out of my shoe and I grabbed my Bushmaster and shot it dead! Believe me! Upon closer examination of the carcass it turned out to be a centipede. Well, you know that you hafta impede those centipedes, dontcha?

Bushmaster? You midwesterners are real wusses. Out here in the west,
we use RPGs for pest control.

Well, we have small tactical nukes here, but we keep them safely in our basements and just bring 'em out for thinning buffalo herds.

Razzy

Dear Mr. Left-wing, anti-gun moralist.

Yeah, Razz is about as leftist as most right of center people in most
of the developed world. And I've heard nothing to suggest he's
anti-gun. Any yeah, he has morals, so I can see why you'd have a
problem with him.
Old June 17th 17, 03:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

wrote:

[...]

I have nothing against guns. In fact I like shooting skeet and trap. I learned to shoot a rifle at my high school in Canada. It was a standard part of our education back then. We learned gun safety at school, not out on the streets as they do here in the US. I have no need for a gun at home. Discharging a firearm in our city is a felony and I don't have 2 miles of clear ground in my backyard anyhow.

Razzy
Old June 18th 17, 03:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Discharging a firearm in backyards in the 60's in Toronto was legal. Except on Sundays. It didn't become illegal until the element who likes to shoot lots of people came here. Not that Toronto is Chicago; yet.
Old June 18th 17, 07:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 11:00:26 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
On Thursday, 15 June 2017 03:25:12 UTC-4, StarDust wrote:
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 11:57:02 PM UTC-7, Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/06/2017 22:20, StarDust wrote:
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 9:09:48 AM UTC-7, Razzmatazz wrote:
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 2:52:30 AM UTC-5, Martin Brown wrote:
On 13/06/2017 00:06, Razzmatazz wrote:
M13 is now at a good point, high up at night. A quick (very quick) look at this bauble.

https://www.astromart.com/common/ima...7.jpg&caption=

AP 17" F8 Astrograph
STL11K camera
Single 5 minute Luminance exposure
AP1600 mount

Magnificent! How long an exposure?

Can you find the very small background galaxy in this image? It's at magnitude 18.

Is it the streak about 1/5 across and just over half way up left side?

The exposure was 5 minutes, a single exposure.
Yes, the mag 18 galaxy is about half way up the left side.

Razzy

Ouch!!! Mag 18 galaxy, you need Hubble to see that?

Not any more. Modern CCDs now available to amateurs using 18" scopes
allow photographs comparable with old Palomar emulsion plates and have
done for quite a while now. A good test is IC1296 in the field of M57.
Jack Schmidling nabbed it testing his new kit back in

http://schmidling.com/m57.htm

Web page doesn't give dates but here is the original saa thread. By then
there were colour cameras that could catch the faint galaxy in 18/8/1999

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/sci.astro.amateur/Jack$20M57$20CCD%7Csort:relevance/sci.astro.amateur/Bdxr7fxprB0/bqqSTGx_KXEJ

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Nice! I've seen M57 many times with my C-11 SCT, but never knew there was a galaxy next to it? SCT's has so narrow field, because the long f/!
https://darkhorseobservatory.org/ima...50_01_full.jpg

That field (M57 and galaxy) is only about 3 arc minutes wide. It would take a very high-power, narrow-field eyepiece to exclude one or the other object. The galaxy is just very dim and if we aren't looking for an object, it's even harder to spot.

Ring nebula in infrared
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_N...RingNebula.jpg

C-11 with my Pentax 40mm 65 deg FOV eyepiece gives me about 1 deg FOV. But I don't recall seeing that companion galaxy! All though I never looked for it.