Planetary Alignments And Earthquake Triggering June 3, 2017

Old June 3rd 17, 08:34 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
E.D.G.

Default Planetary Alignments And Earthquake Triggering June 3, 2017

PLANETARY ALIGNMENTS AND EARTHQUAKE TRIGGERING

Posted By E.D.G. on June 3, 2017
http://www.freewebs.com/eq-forecasti...kthroughs.html

This report is being posted to a number of Internet Newsgroups and
also circulated by E-mail.

The information in this report represents expressions of personal
opinion.

THIS REPORT'S PURPOSE - The goal of this report is to see if there are any
astronomy and/or earthquake experts who would like to do some research on
and possibly publish a scientific paper that might eventually provide a
fairly clear answer to one of the oldest questions in science.

Question:

DO PLANETARY ALIGNMENTS AFFECT THE TIMES WHEN EARTHQUAKES OCCUR?

Interested parties can try contacting me by E-mail regarding this
subject.

I would prefer to share theories, data, and perhaps a publication
with people who are recognized experts in planetary science and/or
earthquakes. A publication with 50 unknown names on it might not be taken
too seriously.

However, if no recognized experts are interested then I would
probably consider working with people who are knowledgeable in those areas
but who are not already widely regarded as experts.

There is a lot of physics and math involved with this proposed
project, with some of the physics not yet well understood. So people
involved with this effort would need to be fairly expert.

THE ANSWER TO THAT PLANETARY ALIGNMENT EARTHQUAKE QUESTION

My own current data, some of my older theories, and information that
I only recently discovered in a paper published years ago indicate to me
that the answer to that question is probably "Yes!"

That was quite a surprise to me as up until I came across that
publication several months ago I generally agreed with perhaps most of the
rest of the people in the international scientific community who believe
that the answer to the question is "No."

However, what I often say to other researchers is:

LET THE DATA SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES !

So, I never concluded that the answer to that question was a definite
"No!"

There have likely been quite a few researchers over the centuries who
have proposed that there are links between planetary locations and the times
when earthquakes occur. And most scientists including myself have in the
past likely felt that based on the data that would ordinarily be considered,
the possibility that there could be links between planetary alignments etc.
and earthquake triggering should be minimal.

But as this matter might once again show, it can be risky to come to
draw conclusions that state that this or that is or is not happening based
on theory models. At times, as in this case, the wrong theories are
probably being considered.

PRESENT THEORY MODEL

Most scientists likely agree that earthquakes occur after strain
builds at specific locations in the Earth's crust. At some point, perhaps
after tens or even thousands of years, that strain level reaches the point
where the rock layers cannot absorb any more. And they fracture with the
rapid release of large amounts of energy.

The result is a powerful earthquake. And if the energy is focused
towards or eventually reaches a populated area the results can be
catastrophic.

At least some scientists including me believe that readily available
data clearly show that tidal forces associated with gravitational pulls of
the sun and the moon on the Earth can add enough temporary strain to an
already highly strained fault zone that its rock layers will reach that
breaking point. And the result is an earthquake.

My data indicate to me that these high strain time windows associated
with the sun and moon gravities are probably often quite narrow, perhaps
plus or minus 5 minutes within 6.25 hour periods of time during the day.
And the time windows tend to occur at specific times during a given month.

The gravitational pulls of the planets on the Earth are apparently so
weak in comparison with those of the sun and the moon that it should be
impossible for planet gravities to affect earthquake triggering times.

However, my data indicate to me that that gravity link is not the
right one to be examining. What might actually be happening is a lot more
complex. And instead of affecting earthquake triggering times during fairly
narrow time windows, the planetary alignment time windows are likely much
longer than those associated with the sun and moon gravities.

So, the simple model would look like:

A affects B. B then affects T.

A represents the various gravity strengths of the sun, moon, and planets.

B represents various tides such as ocean tides and the Solid Earth Tide.

T represents the times when earthquakes are triggered.

The proposed far more complex and realistic model might look like:

A affects B, C, D, and E.

B, C, D, and E then directly or indirectly affect T.

One of the steps in that more complex theory picture that is known by
many in the international earthquake forecasting community but probably not
too many people in the astronomy and celestial mechanics communities
involves the effects that solar storms can have on earthquake triggering
times.

There are a few steps in that complex sequence of steps that I myself
don't yet understand. I know what they are. But I don't know which of them
is the most important for the earthquake triggering picture.

However, this latest possible discovery explains what one of the key,
and previously unrecognized steps is in that sequence. Plus, another of
those possible steps is one that scientists generally don't seem to be
considering even though I believe that the step makes perfect sense.

With some research, it should be possible to determine what the
relative importance is of the various steps. It might also be discovered
that there are steps that I myself don't yet know about.

THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS PROPOSED EFFORT

First,

As everyone is aware, powerful earthquakes can be extremely dangerous
natural phenomena. And any information that people can learn regarding
exactly why they occur when they occur, and how to accurately forecast them
would be invaluable.

Second,

Even if this proposed new theory picture is not as accurate and
important as I believe it likely is, I feel that a publication on it could
result in a small tidal wave of research activity as various scientists
around the world do calculations and make measurements to explore the
various possibilities. And even that indirect attention should help move
forward the entire science of earthquake triggering processes.

Third,

The general public seem to be endlessly fascinated by new theories
regarding important natural phenomena such as earthquakes even when they
don't
actually understand the theories. This interest can be especially strong if
the theories can be presented to people in interesting videos.

Even amateurs could generate highly interesting videos regarding this
subject matter. They would show how the sun and moon gravities produce
tides and how tidal forces often trigger powerful earthquakes (in my
opinion). And then various planetary alignment and earthquake triggering
theories developed over the centuries could be displayed in the videos along
with this new theory.

News service personnel would explain that scientists are now
proposing that there might finally be a fairly clear answer for the ancient
question:

DO PLANETARY ALIGNMENTS AFFECT THE TIMES WHEN EARTHQUAKES OCCUR?

CURRENT EARTHQUAKE FORECASTING RESEARCH

The following Web pages discuss some current research on earthquake
forecasting:

http://www.freewebs.com/eq-forecasti...kthroughs.html

http://www.freewebs.com/eq-forecasti...T_Reports.html

Those are "indirect" Freewebs.com addresses that are intended in part
to keep spam robots away from my actual Web pages. Those addresses will
redirect viewers to the real pages.

If you don't trust indirect links, and people should always be
careful of them, then you can try the following:

Go to any major search engine and type in the line:

Earthquake Forecasting Breakthroughs Breakthroughs.html

My true Web page address should appear at or near the top of the
search list.

Or, go to the public library and type in those Freewebs.com
addresses.

That "Breakthroughs" Web page is in the process of having a major
update. And with humor intended, it you decide to examine it in detail,
plan on spending an entire day on the effort. It covers a lot of material
that probably cannot be found anywhere else on the Internet or in any other
technical publications.

The NCGT Reports Web page starts off with a discussion of what one
scientist has apparently discovered regarding why some radios and other
electronic devices stop working around the times when powerful earthquakes
occur. That phenomenon could be quite important for people who are on an
aircraft that is attempting to land near an earthquake fault zone and the
aircraft's instrumentation abruptly fails!

The effect has to do with temporary changes in L (inductance) in some
LRC circuits in radios and other electronic devices being used near the
fault zone where an earthquake is going to occur.

And finally,

If you are wondering why the science of earthquake forecasting and
many other sciences move along so slowly you can try reading the following
report:

http://www.freewebs.com/eq-forecasti...st_Groups.html

Regards to all,

E.D.G.

Old June 5th 17, 12:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 1:34:30 PM UTC-6, E.D.G. wrote:

PLANETARY ALIGNMENTS AND EARTHQUAKE TRIGGERING

There was considerable hype before the 1982 planetary grand alignment, even
resulting in a book called "The Jupiter Effect." As I recall, nothing much
happened.

Gary
Old June 5th 17, 03:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 04:37:08 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 1:34:30 PM UTC-6, E.D.G. wrote:

PLANETARY ALIGNMENTS AND EARTHQUAKE TRIGGERING

There was considerable hype before the 1982 planetary grand alignment, even
resulting in a book called "The Jupiter Effect." As I recall, nothing much
happened.

Indeed.

In fact, the question has been addressed and answered. There is a weak
correlation between lunar tides and earthquakes on certain types of
faults. It's enough to show up in long term statistics, but not enough
to be predictive. The Sun is the only other body that produces
significant tidal stresses on the Earth (much less than the Moon,
though), and there is no correlation between solar position (time of
day) and earthquakes.

The planets exert insignificant tidal stress on the Earth (inversely
proportional to the distance cubed). There is no theoretical reason to
believe that planetary positions would have any impact on tectonics,
and no observational evidence to support the suggestion.
Old June 5th 17, 03:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 3:35:16 PM UTC+1, Chris L Peterson wrote:

In fact, the question has been addressed and answered. There is a weak
correlation between lunar tides and earthquakes on certain types of
faults. It's enough to show up in long term statistics, but not enough
to be predictive. The Sun is the only other body that produces
significant tidal stresses on the Earth (much less than the Moon,
though), and there is no correlation between solar position (time of
day) and earthquakes.

The planets exert insignificant tidal stress on the Earth (inversely
proportional to the distance cubed). There is no theoretical reason to
believe that planetary positions would have any impact on tectonics,
and no observational evidence to support the suggestion.

Look at you,such an expert and you even threw in Newton's offending geocentric/heliocentric equivalency to boot.

The most offensive thing is the academic inability to assign differential rotation across latitudes, a dynamical feature common to all bodies with a rotating fluid composition and the Earth's fluid interior is not exception.

I will be shown to be correct in accounting for both the 26 mile spherical deviation of the Earth from a perfect sphere and the global feature of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and symmetrical crustal development either side of the ridge.

So much support evidence including external planetary comparisons,Venus in this case, but it is not hostility which drives apathy these days but mediocrity and intellectual weakness. It doesn't matter, it is there anyway to research.

Old June 8th 17, 04:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
E.D.G.

Posted By E.D.G. on June 8, 2017

Thanks for the book reference.

I took a look at the Wikipedia report on that book. The Earthquake
Triggering effects I am proposing might be active here are a lot more
complex than what was apparently discussed in the book. And, there are
quite a few of those possible effects, not just one or two. Apparently, few
if any people have given much consideration to some of those possible
effects.

My own calculations indicate to me that sun and moon gravity effects
associated with the Tide Generating Force are at times triggering powerful
earthquakes. Some fairly complex calculations would need to be done to see
which of the other possible effects might be expected to actually affect
Earthquake Triggering times.

Another Newsgroup note discussing this subject matter is scheduled to
be posted here as soon as time permits.

Regards to all,

E.D.G.