Comet 73P~ My Own Miserable Image

Old May 14th 06, 05:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Comet 73P~ My Own Miserable Image

http://www.davidillig.com/ast-73p_s-w060429.shtml

I'm sorry to say that I missed the 73P/M57 passage because I was away
from home. And a number of otherwise good nights have been spoiled by
contrails.

It appears that quite a few fighter CAP (combat air patrol) missions
are being flown east of Washington, DC, i.e., between Washington and
the Atlantic coast -- the better to intercept a hijacked airliner
coming from Europe. That happens to be the direction in which I
observe, and this has been a frequent impediment since 9/11/01.
Conversely, I live only a few miles from BWI airport, and I am rarely
bothered by commercial airliners.

I am pleased to note that I captured a number of stars in the magnitude
19 range with my Canon DSLR/Tele Vue 76 combo, and at least one mag 20
star.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old May 14th 06, 01:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Davoud" wrote in message
[...]

Don't put your work down, Dave. That looks far better than my own feable
attempt, which was so bad that I don't plan to post it anywhere.

George

Old May 14th 06, 01:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

" George" wrote:

Don't put your work down, Dave. That looks far better than my own feable
attempt, which was so bad that I don't plan to post it anywhere.

I didn't even get a feeble attempt - all I have seen so far is a tiny
smudge which may or may not be a comet if the full moon would keep
away, the clouds would disperse better and the lights of the city 20
km North would abate. And a 4 inch reflector doesn't help much
either....

I think Dave's image is great.

Eugene L Griessel

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.
Old May 14th 06, 10:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

You think yours is bad? Look at my grainy shot using a cheapo Canon
Powershot hooked into my telescope. I cannot afford the fancy digital
SLRs that other Orange County Astronomers astroimagers have:

http://www.ocastronomers.org/astroim...0System\Comets

Matthew Ota

Old May 15th 06, 05:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Eugene Griessel wrote:
" George" wrote:

Don't put your work down, Dave. That looks far better than my own feable
attempt, which was so bad that I don't plan to post it anywhere.

I didn't even get a feeble attempt - all I have seen so far is a tiny
smudge which may or may not be a comet if the full moon would keep
away, the clouds would disperse better and the lights of the city 20
km North would abate. And a 4 inch reflector doesn't help much
either....

I think Dave's image is great.

Eugene L Griessel

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.

I'm glad I'm not the only combating clouds, the moon, and bad timing. I
take it as a sign I shouldn't try and see this object.

Somehow, traveling two hours or more to try and see it doesn't appeal to
me either.

So there it goes.

Sincerely,
--- Dave Nakamoto
Miller's Daughter --- There, I was visited by a bizarre, strange imp
of a man.
Sam Shovel --- Pee Wee Herman?
Miller's Daughter --- Not THAT strange.
Old May 15th 06, 06:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I was up at MWO Friday night, but was way too tired to see or image it
after 1 a.m.

I wish I did dnot have to work my 40 hour week day job.
I was almost a zombie after midnight.

Mathew Ota