Moon with minimum eccentric orbit

Old December 27th 13, 04:35 AM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

Default Moon with minimum eccentric orbit

At what Point of eccentric elleptical orbit would the moon cause problems due to raised sealevels and tidal waves?

What is the elliptic Kepler eccentricity of moon 0.7 or less?

Distance at perigee ~362600 km
(356400 – 370400 km)
Distance at apogee ~405400 km
(404000 – 406700 km)

Could the solarwind affect the eccentrity of moons orbit.

Also i would like to know how the eccentrity of orbit effect the visual appearance of moon.

What is the distance and eccentrity when it will appear double radius at perigee, tripple radius etc is there a formula?(maybe a question for physics, but could you answer?)

Old January 9th 14, 10:06 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

In article ,
writes:
At what Point of eccentric elleptical orbit would the moon cause problems d=
ue to raised sealevels and tidal waves?

Unclear, but tidal _forces_ go as the inverse cube of
distance. The _reaction_ to tidal forces -- tide heights -- isn't
linear, but that's probably a decent first approximation.

Biggest tides on Earth are of order 10 meters now, but many
shorelines see much smaller tides. I'd guess that tides 10 times
larger would cause some problems, though not necessarily
civilization-ending ones. That would allow the Moon's perigee to be
roughly half its current distance, perhaps less.

What is the elliptic Kepler eccentricity of moon 0.7 or less?=20

Distance at perigee ~362600 km
Distance at apogee ~405400 km

You've answered your own question except that I'm not sure your
figures are exactly right. Eccentricity is (1-r)/(1+r) where r is
the ratio of perigee to apogee distances (about 0.89 with your
figures). This gives about 0.056, but
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit_of_the_Moon
(which in a very quick scan looks pretty accurate to me) gives 0.055.

Could the solarwind affect the eccentrity of moons orbit.

Solar wind pressure is utterly trivial for a macroscopic body.
Photon pressure would be much larger but still utterly trivial. Both
of these are equivalent to a very slight reduction in the effective
solar mass, so to first order I wouldn't expect much effect on
eccentricity even if these forces were significant.

Non-sphericity of the Earth is a much larger effect. It tends to
enlarge and circularize the Moon's orbit. I am guessing that solar
gravitational force is what keeps the actual orbit non-circular.

Also i would like to know how the eccentrity of orbit effect the visual app=
earance of moon.

See the article cited above and also articles on "lunar libration."

What is the distance and eccentrity when it will appear double radius at pe=
rigee, tripple radius etc is there a formula?

I don't understand the question. If you are asking about the very-
long-term evolution of the Moon's orbit, I'm not sure how well it's
known.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA