Cassini filters

Old July 3rd 04, 12:31 AM
Andrew Gray

Default Cassini filters

I'm having great fun at the moment reading through the Cassini raw
images from Titan (and being struck dumb by some, I confess), and I
noted that they all contain details on the filters used.

I can't seem to find any information on the Cassini or CICLOPS websites;
does anyone know of a reference for what bands these filters are used
for photographing?

--
-Andrew Gray

Old July 4th 04, 09:02 AM
Hud Nordin

In article ,
Andrew Gray wrote:
I can't seem to find any information on the Cassini or CICLOPS websites;
does anyone know of a reference for what bands these filters are used
for photographing?

The raw-image FAQ at
http://saturn1.jpl.nasa.gov/faq/raw-images.cfm#q15 describes and
names the filters (but omits central wavelength).

How's your German? I googled to here and back and came up empty, but
someone else found this, at:
http://www.bernd-leitenberger.de/cassini-instrumente.html

I wish the whole document was available in English.

I think I'll duplicate one table here with some English keywords to help a
future searcher. [Cassini filters central wavelength nm ultraviolet red
green blue violet infrared polarization ISS camera wide angle narrow angle
Saturn]

Filter / Central Wavelength NAC [nm] / Central Wavelength WAC [nm] / Purpose

UV1 / 264 / -- / Aerosole
UV2 / 306 / -- / Aerosole, Breitband Farbe
UV3 / 343 / -- / Aerosole, Breitband Farbe, Polarisation
VIO / -- / 420 / Breitband Farbe
BL2 / 441 / -- / Mittelband Farbe, Polarisation
BL1 / 455 / 463 / Breitband Farbe
GRN / 569 / 568 / Breitband Farbe
MT1 / 619 / -- / Methanband, Vertikales Durchleuchten
CB1 / 619 / -- / 2-lobed Kontinuum für MT1
CB1a / 635 / -- / -
CB1b / 603 / -- / -
RED / 649 / 647 / Breitband Farbe
HAL / 656 / 656 / H-alpha/Blitze
MT2 / 727 / 728 / Methanband, Vertikales Durchleuchten
CB2 / 750 / 752 / Kontinuum für MT2
IR1 / 750 / 740 / Breitband Farbe
IR2 / 861 / 852 / Breitband Farbe; Ring Absorptionsband
MT3 / 889 / 890 / Methanband, Vertikales Durchleuchten

Filter / NAC [nm] / WAC [nm] / Designation

CB3 / 938 / 939 / Kontinuum für MT3; Sehen durch Titandunstschicht
IR3 / 928 / 917 / Breitband Farbe
IR4 / 1001 / 1000 / Breitband Farbe
IR5 / -- / 1027 / Breitband Farbe
CL1 / 651 / 634 / Weit offen, Kombination von zwei Rädern
CL2 / 651 / 634 / Weit offen, Kombination von einem Rad
P0 / 633 / -- / Sichtbar Polarisation, 0º
P60 / 633 / -- / Sichtbar Polarisation, 60º
P120 / 633 / -- / Sichtbar Polarisation, 120º
IRP0 / 738 / 705 / IR Polarisation; Sehen durch Titandunstschicht
IRP90 / -- / 705 / IR Polarisation; Sehen durch Titandunstschicht
--
Hud Nordin Silicon Valley
Old July 4th 04, 03:27 PM
Archibald

Filter Wheel 1
CL1 Clear
RED Red
BL1 Blue band 1
UV2 Ultraviolet band 2
UV1 Ultraviolet band 1
IRP0 Infrared 0º polarizer
P120 120º polarizer
P60 60º polarizer
P0 0º polarizer
HAL Hydrogen Alpha
IR4 Infrared band 4
IR2 Infrared band 2

Filter Wheel 2
CL2 Clear
GRN Green
UV3 Ultraviolet band 3
BL2 Blue band 2
MT2 Methane band 2
CB2 Continuum band 2
MT3 Methane band 3
CB3 Continuum band 3
MT1 Methane band 1
CB1 Continuum band 1
IR3 Infrared band 3
IR1 Infrared band 1

Old July 5th 04, 08:54 AM
Fox2

In article , wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Gray wrote:
I can't seem to find any information on the Cassini or CICLOPS websites;
does anyone know of a reference for what bands these filters are used
for photographing?

The raw-image FAQ at
http://saturn1.jpl.nasa.gov/faq/raw-images.cfm#q15 describes and
names the filters (but omits central wavelength).

How's your German? I googled to here and back and came up empty, but
someone else found this, at:
http://www.bernd-leitenberger.de/cassini-instrumente.html

Go to the German page & copy the page title.
Paste in into Google and search.
When the page ref comes up, click 'translate'.
Presto....The page is in English.