Asteroid Apophis in 2029, charting

Old August 8th 07, 07:38 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Algomeysa2

Default Asteroid Apophis in 2029, charting

Just for fun, I was entering the orbital elements of asteroid Apophis into
my Starry Night astronomy program.

I got them from JPL's website:

Orbit: Near-Circular Reference Plane: Ecliptic 2000
Mean Distance (a) (in AU) 0.922261415
Eccentricity (e) 0.191059415
Inclination (i) 3.331314642
Ascending Node 204.4591523
Arg of Pericenter 126.3855713
Mean Anomaly (L) 307.3630785
Epoch (Julian Date) 2454200.5

Then I fast-forwarded to around April 13th, 2029, when the asteroid is going
to come within spitting distance of Earth (inside the orbit of geosychronous
satellites).

In my simulation, it came to its closest approach to Earth on April 14th,
2029, around 13:00 UT, so one day late.

And the nearest it got to Earth seemed to be around 2.6 million miles,
rather than the 22,000 miles or so it should have been at, so off by roughly
a factor of 100.

Still, fairly impressive for calculating 22 years in the future.

But I was wondering if I've simply reached the limits of my Starry Night
program to calculate it, or if, with slightly more accurate numbers, I could
place it closer to where it's supposed to be on that date.

So....anyone have better numbers than the above for Apophis?

(Again, I'm assuming that JPL's numbers are about the best there is and my
astronomy program is just taxed beyond its limits to really place the
asteroid exactly where/when it would be, but, if anyone can prove me wrong,
I'd appreciate it).

Old August 8th 07, 07:55 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_1_]

On Aug 8, 11:38 am, "algomeysa2"
wrote:
[...]

Perhaps your program isn't taking into account Apophis's gravitational
interaction with the Earth.

Double-A

Old August 8th 07, 10:47 PM posted to alt.astronomy

"Double-A" wrote in message ups.com...

Perhaps your program isn't taking into account Apophis's gravitational
interaction with the Earth.

And other celestial bodies.

Old August 9th 07, 12:52 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Llanzlan Klazmon the 15th

"algomeysa2" wrote in
:

[...]

The above orbital elements are fixed numbers which assume that the orbit
will remain unchanged indefinitely. This is of course not the case, as the
orbit is perturbed by the gravity of the planets. You need to do a full
simulation to get an accurate result. Even then, the uncertainty in the
initial data results in increasing error over time between the calculations
and reality.

Klamzon.

Asteroid Apophis aj UK Astronomy 1 December 4th 06 08:12 PM
Given the unknow cause of the error in pioneer acceleration calculations, will the400 meter diameter asteroid Apophis hit earth in 2029? Jan Panteltje Astronomy Misc 5 August 19th 05 11:09 PM
Asteroid will have a near miss in 2029 Hop Misc 7 February 19th 05 10:26 AM
Asteroid May Hit Earth in 2029 J Young History 22 January 6th 05 11:11 AM
2029 Asteroid Impact Ruled Out. Uncle Bob Amateur Astronomy 1 December 28th 04 04:47 PM