NASA gets two military spy telescopes for astronomy - The WashingtonPost.

Old May 18th 13, 04:19 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default NASA gets two military spy telescopes for astronomy - The WashingtonPost.

On 17/05/2013 6:22 PM, Robert Clark wrote:
Excellent news:

NASA May Launch Donated Spy Satellite Telescope to Mars.
by Mike Wall, SPACE.com Senior WriterDate: 15 May 2013 Time: 04:30 AM
ET
[quote]
The NRO's gift to NASA of unused spy satellites could enable a new
project termed MOST, or Mars-Orbiting Space Telescope.
As it's currently envisioned, MOST would have three main science
instruments — an imaging spectral mapper, a high-resolution imager and
an ultraviolet spectrometer — allowing it to make a broad range of
detailed observations.
The mapper would have a spatial resolution of 0.7 feet (0.21 m)
per pixel at an orbiting altitude of 250 miles (400 kilometers),
McEwen said. That's about 100 times better than the resolution
achieved by a similar instrument aboard NASA's Mars Reconnaissance
Orbiter (MRO), which has been circling the Red Planet since 2006.

Hey, why not? As a spy satellite it was originally intended to look down
on the ground on Earth, now it can still look down on the ground, on
Mars this time.

Launching so much long-term satellite equipment on the various Solar
System bodies, like Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Mercury, etc. are really
putting our flag down on our ownership of this entire Solar System, not
just Earth.

Looking beyond Mars
MOST would also be built to look up and out, beyond the Red Planet
and its two tiny moons.
The telescope's UV spectrometer is envisioned to be similar to
that of the Hubble Space Telescope. But MOST likely wouldn't be able
to study extremely distant objects as well as the famous HST, because
installing a Hubble-like guidance and navigation system that allows a
prolonged lock on such faint targets would raise the price tag
significantly, McEwen said.
Instead, MOST may be optimized to view planets and moons in the
outer solar system.

Yeah, who needs it? We're going to have JWST pretty soon too look at the
long-distance objects anyways, this way you can concentrate JWST's
resources on stuff outside the solar system, and this thing can look at
stuff inside it.

Yousuf Khan
Old May 18th 13, 06:20 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Bob Haller

On May 18, 11:19*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 17/05/2013 6:22 PM, Robert Clark wrote:

* Excellent news:

NASA May Launch Donated Spy Satellite Telescope to Mars.
by Mike Wall, SPACE.com Senior WriterDate: 15 May 2013 Time: 04:30 AM
ET
[quote]
* * *The NRO's gift to NASA of unused spy satellites could enable a new
project termed MOST, or Mars-Orbiting Space Telescope.
* * *...
[...]

Geez i suggested sending one of these to mars and was laughed
at........
Old May 18th 13, 09:05 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sat, 18 May 2013 10:20:03 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

Geez i suggested sending one of these to mars and was laughed
at........

You sometimes have a nugget of a good idea, Bob. But you usually jump
off the cliff with lots of nonsense to justify it.

Regardless, I doubt MOST will ever happen. It would be like sending a
KH-11 or Hubble to Mars and would make MRO (a pretty big orbiter) look
tiny. What kind of rocket are we going to send this to Mars on, SLS?
How are we going to get back that much bandwidth of KH-11/Hubble class
images from Mars?

And wait until Henry Spencer and the CSA hear that NASA is trying to
steal the "MOST" name...

A more basic Earth-orbiting telescope is a far better use for this
hardware.

Brian
Old May 18th 13, 11:28 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Bob Haller

Geez i suggested sending one of these to mars and was laughed
at........

You were laughed at because you said such egregiously stupid things in
conjunction with that 'suggestion'.

My track record stands on its accuracy.

could a shuttle get stuck at statiion,,,,,,,, laughter, then columbia,
then nasa plans for a shuttle stuck at station

hey there have been too many fying catches, too much schedule
pressure, were going to a lose a shuttle... then columbia dies, cause?
too much schedule pressure

hey send a leftover spy sat to mars.LAUGHTER. Now they are taling of
doing just that

hey chemical propulsion for manned mars mission wouldnt work.

Now bolden says the same.

need I go on??????????

Meanwhile fred j cueless throws insults and offers nothing but useless
noise
Old May 18th 13, 11:57 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy
jacob navia[_5_]

Le 18/05/13 17:19, Yousuf Khan a écrit :
Launching so much long-term satellite equipment on the various Solar
System bodies, like Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Mercury, etc. are really
putting our flag down on our ownership of this entire Solar System, not
just Earth.

Just take it easy Mr.

No ownership of anything. It is not enough to send
a satellite somewhere to OWN a celestial body like Mars!

Anyway, other nations have sent satellites to other planets
(the russians for instance would own Venus since they landed in there
long time ago)

The U.S. owns a small portion of the earth delimited by their frontiers,
like all other countries on earth. They do not even own north america,
since canadian and mexicans also own part of it.

:-)

Just take it easy.

Old May 19th 13, 03:38 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 19/05/2013 4:57 AM, jacob navia wrote:
Just take it easy Mr.

No ownership of anything. It is not enough to send
a satellite somewhere to OWN a celestial body like Mars!

Anyway, other nations have sent satellites to other planets
(the russians for instance would own Venus since they landed in there
long time ago)

The U.S. owns a small portion of the earth delimited by their frontiers,
like all other countries on earth. They do not even own north america,
since canadian and mexicans also own part of it.

:-)

Just take it easy.

I was referring to Earth, not the United States.

Yousuf Khan

Old May 19th 13, 02:35 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Bob Haller

Geez i suggested sending one of these to mars and was laughed
at........

You were laughed at because you said such egregiously stupid things in
conjunction with that 'suggestion'.

This is your perpetual problem, Bobbert. *You say something surrounded
with idiotic ideas, people call you a moron, and later you only
remember the one tiny similarity between what you said and what is
happening.

so do some research and prove it, search the archives provide links
and post exactly I said that was idiotic......

my idea was to repurpose at least one of these spy sats for use in
mars orbit.

i was laughed at. your making the claim no prove it!
Old May 19th 13, 02:37 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Bob Haller

wrote:

Geez i suggested sending one of these to mars and was laughed
at........

You sometimes have a nugget of a good idea, Bob. But you usually jump
off the cliff with lots of nonsense to justify it.

Regardless, I doubt MOST will ever happen. It would be like sending a
KH-11 or Hubble to Mars and would make MRO (a pretty big orbiter) look
tiny. What kind of rocket are we going to send this to Mars on, SLS?
How are we going to get back that much bandwidth of KH-11/Hubble class
images from Mars?

And wait until Henry Spencer and the CSA hear that NASA is trying to
steal the "MOST" name...

A more basic Earth-orbiting telescope is a far better use for this
hardware.

Brian

bandwith can be increased, it may be possible to compress the info.
DBS sats carry many more channels than they were capable of less than
10 years ago thanks to improvements in compression
Old May 19th 13, 05:38 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Thomas Womack

wrote:

Geez i suggested sending one of these to mars and was laughed
at........

You sometimes have a nugget of a good idea, Bob. But you usually jump
off the cliff with lots of nonsense to justify it.

Regardless, I doubt MOST will ever happen. It would be like sending a
KH-11 or Hubble to Mars and would make MRO (a pretty big orbiter) look
tiny. What kind of rocket are we going to send this to Mars on, SLS?

The scope is light (two tonnes or so); I think the plan is to send it
up on a Delta 4 with a solar-electric propulsion system on the
spacecraft, and creep up slowly on Mars.

Tom
Old May 19th 13, 07:28 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

Sure it can, all you have to do is replace all the data communications
stuff.

There is still however the minor issue of the maximum, practical, achievable
bandwidth of a data link between Earth and Mars which is far less than
that of Earth to Earth orbit.

--
Jim Pennino