OV-99

Old February 5th 13, 11:02 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

Default OV-99

OFFICIAL ANSWER

Number, Name: Wikipedia Page Link
- Space Shuttle Type
- First flight position
- Location before Space Shuttle Program ended
- Current location (as of 2013)

OV-99, Challenger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger
- Regular Space Shuttle
- Third to fly
- Broke up during launch in 1986
- NASA's hearts and minds

OV-100, Explorer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Explorer
- Space Shuttle EXACT replica (made by NASA)
- Never Flew
- Kennedy Space Center, Merritt Island, Florida, USA
- Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas, USA

OV-101, Enterprise: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Enterprise
- Space Shuttle Prototype (Test Vehicle)
- First to fly
- Udvar-Hazy Center, Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum, Chantilly, Virginia, USA (near Washington DC)
- Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum, New York, New York, USA

OV-102, Columbia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Columbia
- Regular Space Shuttle
- Second to fly
- Broke up during re-entry in 2003
- NASA's hearts and minds

OV-103, Discovery: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Discovery
- Regular Space Shuttle
- Fourth to fly
- Active use
- Udvar-Hazy Center, Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum, Chantilly, Virginia, USA (near Washington DC)

OV-104, Atlantis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Atlantis
- Regular Space Shuttle
- Fifth to fly
- Active use
- Kennedy Space Center, Merritt Island, Florida, USA

OV-105, Endeavour: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Endeavour
- Regular Space Shuttle
- Sixth to fly
- Active use
- California Science Center, Los Angeles, California, USA

ALL* OF THIS INFORMATION I GATHERED AT NASA KENNEDY SPACE CENTER WHEN I VISITED ON THE THIRD OF JANUARY, 2013, SO IT IS 100% CORRECT.

*Not including the information given on the Wikipedia pages which may have some flaws.
Old February 6th 13, 02:17 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article ,
says...

OV-100, Explorer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Explorer
- Space Shuttle EXACT replica (made by NASA)
- Never Flew
- Kennedy Space Center, Merritt Island, Florida, USA
- Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas, USA

This is not an "exact replica". It's a full size model (mock-up) with
precious few actual shuttle parts.

Jeff
Old February 6th 13, 02:23 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
André , PE1PQX

formuleerde de vraag :

Missing:

OV-098 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Pathfinder

Old February 6th 13, 09:35 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

wrote in message

OV-100, Explorer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Explorer
- Space Shuttle EXACT replica (made by NASA)
- Never Flew
- Kennedy Space Center, Merritt Island, Florida, USA
- Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas, USA

Am I the only one bugged by this number?

Since 1xx basically meant "Version 1"
and the yXX meant the vehicle in the version, OV-100 basically means it was
the 0th vehicle in the version 1 of the shuttle.

I suppose in a sense since it's a complete fake that makes sense, but...

And since STA-099 became OV-099 I suppose my objections are just pedantic.

Old February 6th 13, 10:06 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article ,
says...

wrote in message

OV-100, Explorer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Explorer
- Space Shuttle EXACT replica (made by NASA)
- Never Flew
- Kennedy Space Center, Merritt Island, Florida, USA
- Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas, USA

Am I the only one bugged by this number?

Since 1xx basically meant "Version 1"
and the yXX meant the vehicle in the version, OV-100 basically means it was
the 0th vehicle in the version 1 of the shuttle.

I suppose in a sense since it's a complete fake that makes sense, but...

And since STA-099 became OV-099 I suppose my objections are just pedantic.

STA-099 became OV-099 when it was converted from a test article into a
flight worthy OV. I don't know why a freaking model would be assigned
an "OV" number.

So, yes, it bugs me.

Jeff
Old February 6th 13, 10:56 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

says...

wrote in message

OV-100, Explorer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Explorer
- Space Shuttle EXACT replica (made by NASA)
- Never Flew
- Kennedy Space Center, Merritt Island, Florida, USA
- Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas, USA

Am I the only one bugged by this number?

Since 1xx basically meant "Version 1"
and the yXX meant the vehicle in the version, OV-100 basically means it
was
the 0th vehicle in the version 1 of the shuttle.

I suppose in a sense since it's a complete fake that makes sense, but...

And since STA-099 became OV-099 I suppose my objections are just
pedantic.

STA-099 became OV-099 when it was converted from a test article into a
flight worthy OV. I don't know why a freaking model would be assigned
an "OV" number.

Agreed. I have no problem with the change from STA-OV. Just more that the
0 is a bit misleading in a sense. :-)

So, yes, it bugs me.

Good, glad I'm not the only one.

Jeff

Old February 23rd 13, 01:20 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Bob Haller

--
Greg D. Moore * * * * * * * * *http://greenmountainsoftware.wordpress.com/
CEO QuiCR: Quick, Crowdsourced Responses.http://www.quicr.net

NASA really lost a lot of PR, it should of made Enterprise space
worthy even if it cost more
Old February 23rd 13, 03:43 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"bob haller" wrote in message

NASA really lost a lot of PR, it should of made Enterprise space
worthy even if it cost more

Again, with what money? That's the real big problem.

No bucks, no Buck Rogers. (on the other hand, I believe people often
forget, "No Buck Rogers, no bucks."

Old February 23rd 13, 04:25 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Bob Haller

On Feb 23, 10:43*am, "Greg \(Strider\) Moore"
wrote:
"bob haller" *wrote in message

NASA really lost a lot of PR, it should of made Enterprise space
worthy even if it cost more

Again, with what money? *That's the real big problem.

No bucks, no Buck Rogers. *(on the other hand, I believe people often
forget, "No Buck Rogers, no bucks."

--
Greg D. Moore * * * * * * * * *http://greenmountainsoftware.wordpress.com/
CEO QuiCR: Quick, Crowdsourced Responses.http://www.quicr.net

I dont believe the cost difference was much........

Heck I would of donated at that time nto make enterprise space
worthy......

It would of helped if enterprise had been designed from the beginning
to be easy to upgrade...