How would you have rolled out the disaster known as NASA's FY 11proposed budget?

Old August 23rd 11, 02:59 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Matt Wiser

Default How would you have rolled out the disaster known as NASA's FY 11proposed budget?

Over on spacepolitics.com, there's been some discussion of the fact
that NASA has never recovered from the disasterous rollout of the FY
11 Budget that canned Constellation, deferred any HLV work for 5 years
while it was "studied," had a lot of technology research and so on,
but no program defined for BEO, etc. etc. By NASA's own admission,
they admitted that the proposals in that budget were never "sold" to
Congress and the public, the level of pushback was greater than
expected (read: they expected the pro-Constellation side to roll over
and die quietly), and so on. One can say they've never really
recovered from that-just look at the skeptical (at best) reception
Charlie Bolden gets when he's on The Hill....

So, here's a challenge: how would you have rolled out the proposal?
Kowing that (a) there will be a lot of pushback from Constellation
supporters, the companies working on the program, their elected
representatives, and so on; (b) Congressional concern-and downright
opposition to "outsourcing" LEO to "untried and unproven" private
contractors; (c) Concern in both Congressional and private groups
about "leaving the moon to others" and having no plan for HSF to
beyond-earth orbit destinations, (d) The argument that "We spent $9
billion on Constellation and what do we have to show for it if none of
it will get to space?"; and so on.

Personally, I think this was an impossible job for any PAO. But if
anyone wants to try, go ahead! It's your funeral when trying to sell
it to a skeptical/hostile Congress....
Old August 25th 11, 12:03 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Hop

On Aug 22, 6:59*pm, Matt Wiser wrote:
So, here's a challenge: how would you have rolled out the proposal?
Kowing that (a) there will be a lot of pushback from Constellation
supporters, the companies working on the program, their elected
representatives, and so on; (b) Congressional concern-and downright
opposition to "outsourcing" LEO to "untried and unproven" private
contractors; (c) Concern in both Congressional and private groups
about "leaving the moon to others" and having no plan for HSF to
beyond-earth orbit destinations, (d) The argument that "We spent $9
billion on Constellation and what do we have to show for it if none of
it will get to space?"; and so on.

Personally, I think this was an impossible job for any PAO. But if
anyone wants to try, go ahead! It's your funeral when trying to sell
it to a skeptical/hostile Congress....

There was another Constellation thread he
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.s...601b182d09415#

Any congressman that places his bets on the Constellation racehorse
should be kicked out of office. Personally, I believe the Ares rockets
are Alpo.
Old August 25th 11, 03:58 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Matt Wiser

There was another Constellation thread hehttp://groups.google.com/group/sci.s...thread/thread/...

Any congressman that places his bets on the Constellation racehorse
should be kicked out of office. Personally, I believe the Ares rockets
are Alpo.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but hardly any of them did lose. The ones
from the "space states" are the key ones on the major committees:
Either the Science and Technology committee, or on Appropriations. In
both houses.
Old August 28th 11, 10:37 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Hop

On Aug 24, 7:58*pm, Matt Wiser wrote:
On Aug 24, 4:03*pm, Hop wrote:
Any congressman that places his bets on the Constellation racehorse
should be kicked out of office. Personally, I believe the Ares rockets
are Alpo.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but hardly any of them did lose.

Far from crossing the finishing line, the Ares rockets collapsed after
the starting gun was fired.
Old August 29th 11, 12:10 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Aug 24, 4:03*pm, Hop wrote:
Any congressman that places his bets on the Constellation racehorse
should be kicked out of office. Personally, I believe the Ares rockets
are Alpo.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but hardly any of them did lose.

Far from crossing the finishing line, the Ares rockets collapsed after
the starting gun was fired.

nearly every poster here knew it was a bad design.

congress tells nasa what vehicles and contractors to use for max pork
piggie squealing
Old August 29th 11, 02:43 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Aug 24, 4:03*pm, Hop wrote:
Any congressman that places his bets on the Constellation racehorse
should be kicked out of office. Personally, I believe the Ares rockets
are Alpo.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but hardly any of them did lose.

Far from crossing the finishing line, the Ares rockets collapsed after
the starting gun was fired.

nearly every poster here knew it was a bad design.

congress tells nasa what vehicles and contractors to use for max pork
piggie squealing

After all, the ZNRs (aka Mafia of Semites) are still in charge, so
what else should we expect?

You call them "congress". Was that supposed to be funny?

http://translate.google.com/#
Old August 29th 11, 02:59 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jorge R. Frank

On 08/28/2011 04:37 PM, Hop wrote:
On Aug 24, 7:58 pm, Matt wrote:
On Aug 24, 4:03 pm, wrote:
Any congressman that places his bets on the Constellation racehorse
should be kicked out of office. Personally, I believe the Ares rockets
are Alpo.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but hardly any of them did lose.

Far from crossing the finishing line, the Ares rockets collapsed after
the starting gun was fired.

Matt's referring to the Congressmen, silly.
Old August 29th 11, 03:26 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Hop

On Aug 24, 7:58 pm, Matt *wrote:
On Aug 24, 4:03 pm, *wrote:
Any congressman that places his bets on the Constellation racehorse
should be kicked out of office. Personally, I believe the Ares rockets
are Alpo.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but hardly any of them did lose.

Far from crossing the finishing line, the Ares rockets collapsed after
the starting gun was fired.

Matt's referring to the Congressmen, silly.

Well then, he's beating a strawman. He was replying to my statement
"Personally, I believe the *Ares rockets*
are Alpo."

A Congressman who gives his constituents jobs building BFRs may win an
election. But I don't see the BFRs doing much besides keeping voters
employed.

Future politicians and Griffins who count on Apollo level support to
build their massive HLVs are placing their bets on Alpo. They will be
squandering taxpayer money.
Old August 29th 11, 04:19 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Aug 24, 4:03*pm, Hop wrote:
Any congressman that places his bets on the Constellation racehorse
should be kicked out of office. Personally, I believe the Ares rockets
are Alpo.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but hardly any of them did lose.

Far from crossing the finishing line, the Ares rockets collapsed after
the starting gun was fired.

nearly every poster here knew it was a bad design.

congress tells nasa what vehicles and contractors to use for max pork
piggie squealing

Utter bull****. *Congress doesn't get to specify the contractor on any
federal contract. *That includes those at NASA.

As usual, Bobbert displays his inordinate ignorance.

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Charles Pinckney- Hide quoted text -

congress passed a law requiring nasas continued funding of ares a dead
program and directing nasa to use as much of the shuttle parts as
possible, specifically the solid boosters provided only by thikol....

nasa does get direction from congress
Old August 29th 11, 04:41 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jorge R. Frank

On Aug 24, 7:58 pm, Matt wrote:
On Aug 24, 4:03 pm, wrote:
Any congressman that places his bets on the Constellation racehorse
should be kicked out of office. Personally, I believe the Ares rockets
are Alpo.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but hardly any of them did lose.

Far from crossing the finishing line, the Ares rockets collapsed after
the starting gun was fired.

Matt's referring to the Congressmen, silly.

Well then, he's beating a strawman. He was replying to my statement
"Personally, I believe the *Ares rockets*
are Alpo."

I'll bet he was replying to your statement, "Any congressman that places
his bets on the Constellation racehorse should be kicked out of office."