ASTRO: NGC 5317

Old April 28th 07, 05:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 5317

NGC 5317 in Virgo is a very impressive object, which unfortunately is not
reflected in my image. As usual seeing near the horizon was bad, even though
it was excellent near zenith. With rather bright moonlight making things
worse the image is not deep either. Still, if I spend time imaging and
processing an object I'll post it ;-)

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/7, G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 68x3 minutes.

The picture can also be found at www.slilge.de/temp/5317-68x3gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5317-68x3gut.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	770
Old April 28th 07, 05:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Preston S Justis

"Stefan Lilge" wrote in message
NGC 5317 in Virgo is a very impressive object, which unfortunately is not
reflected in my image. As usual seeing near the horizon was bad, even

though
it was excellent near zenith. With rather bright moonlight making things
worse the image is not deep either. Still, if I spend time imaging and
processing an object I'll post it ;-)

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/7, G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 68x3 minutes.

The picture can also be found at www.slilge.de/temp/5317-68x3gut.jpg

Stefan

Still a very nice image! You're exploring and imaging galaxies that I wanted
shoot back in my Tech Pan days, but never got to. 5371 was one of many
on my list.

Scott

Old April 28th 07, 06:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:
NGC 5317 in Virgo is a very impressive object, which unfortunately is
not reflected in my image. As usual seeing near the horizon was bad,
even though it was excellent near zenith. With rather bright moonlight
making things worse the image is not deep either. Still, if I spend time
imaging and processing an object I'll post it ;-)

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/7, G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 68x3 minutes.

The picture can also be found at www.slilge.de/temp/5317-68x3gut.jpg

Stefan

This is another of the errors in the NGC. It is also listed (with the
correct R.A.) as 5364. That's 5360 beside it in your shot. Above, out
of frame is the elliptical 5363. They are considered a related trio.
Anyway, I had it on my list as 5364 but hadn't yet had enough clear
nights to get to it as yet. It's a ring galaxy I can see the ring in!

It appears my good seeing is gone for now. It's been lousy of late with
front after front going through on a daily basis. Maybe by the time the
moon gets out of the sky things will calm down again.

Unless I rotate the camera I can't fit 5363 in the same frame, just too
far north for the short dimension of my FOV. Ellipticals are kind of
boring anyway.

I thought you did quite well even with the lousy seeing. I think your
lousy seeing is better than mine!

Rick

Old May 2nd 07, 02:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote
NGC 5317 in Virgo is a very impressive object.....

Interesting inner ring in this galaxy! Nice image Stefan!

George N