SpaceX Falcon 9 ? Possible Explosion

Old October 2nd 13, 07:06 AM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

Default SpaceX Falcon 9 ? Possible Explosion

Jeff Findley explained :

Here is an article for reference:

http://www.spacenews.com/article/lau...o-upper-stage-
explosion-after-falcon-9-v11-launch-spacex-says

Mind the wrap.

http://tinyurl.com/spacexVF9-2nd

/dps

--
"I am not given to exaggeration, and when I say a thing I mean it"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain

Old October 2nd 13, 07:09 AM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

Rick Jones used his keyboard to write :
David Spain wrote:
On 10/1/2013 4:11 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:

http://www.spacenews.com/article/lau...ch-spacex-says

How 'bout those amateur astronomers?
Love that photo, good catch...

Did SpaceX say anything about why a halo? Is that supposed to be from
the controlled venting, or is the insulation they suggested fell-off
expected to make a ring like that? Or is it supposed to be simply an
atmospheric effect?

The insulation is supposed to have seperated in pieces, accounting for
the additional tracking targets, per the company statement in the
article. They don't discuss the halo in the quotes.

But as Jeff said earlier (or in SSH), the planned restart did not
occur.

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

Old October 2nd 13, 04:05 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 10/1/2013 10:42 PM, Brian Thorn wrote:

That's what venting has looked like in other launches, too. There have
been many "UFO" reports which ended up being upper stages looking just
like that one.

Brian

Brian,

Where those other launches SpaceX launches? I've read elsewhere about
speculation that a normal venting procedure should leave streamer trails
or spiral trails, not spherical ones.

Not sure what to believe.

Dave

Old October 2nd 13, 05:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones

David Spain wrote:
On 10/2/2013 8:18 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
but SpaceX is focusing most of their "reuse" efforts on the first
stage. This makes sense, because the first stage has 90% of the
main engines of a Falcon 9.

And from what I've read 75% of the cost.

Why that small a fraction? I would have thought that engines would be
comparatively more expensive than tankage?

rick jones
--
It is not a question of half full or empty - the glass has a leak.
Old October 2nd 13, 06:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 10/2/2013 12:06 PM, Rick Jones wrote:
David Spain wrote:
On 10/2/2013 8:18 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
but SpaceX is focusing most of their "reuse" efforts on the first
stage. This makes sense, because the first stage has 90% of the
main engines of a Falcon 9.

And from what I've read 75% of the cost.

Why that small a fraction? I would have thought that engines would be
comparatively more expensive than tankage?

rick jones

That 75% figure comes from Musk. See para. 7 in article below:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/...e-boost-stage/

For a vehicle like Falcon 9 Heavy, if the strap ons and central booster
were to become some day recoverable that figure would be higher I would
presume.

However, at some point costs must shift from what it takes to bend metal
to other areas. As you go up the stack, you're spending more on things
other than tankage and engines that I suspect are more expensive to
manufacture which lowers the percentage of recovered cost.

Certainly the payload falls into this category. At least for everything
short of an X37-B.

Dave

Old October 3rd 13, 03:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:05:04 -0400, David Spain
wrote:

Where those other launches SpaceX launches? I've read elsewhere about
speculation that a normal venting procedure should leave streamer trails
or spiral trails, not spherical ones.

If the stage is tumbling (which could be a product of venting), it
wouldn't be a streamer, it would be a pinwheel, which could easily
look like a spherical cloud from the ground.

Brian