Did it fall or was it pushed

Old August 27th 11, 09:35 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Default Did it fall or was it pushed

I was listening to a person on a phone in a day or so ago suggesting the
failure of the Progress was some kind of conspiracy to try to get the USA to
get the Shuttle back in action. Whether it was sabotage or not is not the
point though, Nobody can bring back theShuttle in under 2 years as there are
no tanks!

Interesting thought though. I did wonder about the eggs in one basket
problem at the moment regarding supplies.

It could be just Mr Murphy and his law showing the weakness of the plan of
course.

Still, I'm sure that a little life extension of a soyuz on orbit and some
nifty tinkering in Russia will solve it..

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old August 28th 11, 05:32 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 27/08/2011 6:35 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was listening to a person on a phone in a day or so ago suggesting the
failure of the Progress was some kind of conspiracy to try to get the USA to
get the Shuttle back in action. Whether it was sabotage or not is not the
point though, Nobody can bring back theShuttle in under 2 years as there are
no tanks!

Interesting thought though. I did wonder about the eggs in one basket
problem at the moment regarding supplies.

It could be just Mr Murphy and his law showing the weakness of the plan of
course.

Still, I'm sure that a little life extension of a soyuz on orbit and some
nifty tinkering in Russia will solve it..

Brian

Shouldn't listen to WNUT radio.
Old August 29th 11, 09:59 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Mike DiCenso

On Aug 27, 1:35*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
I was listening to a person on a phone in a day or so ago suggesting the
failure of the Progress was some kind of conspiracy to try to get the USA to
get the Shuttle back in action. Whether it was sabotage or not is not the
point though, Nobody can bring back theShuttle in under 2 years as there are
no tanks!

Interesting thought though. I did wonder about the eggs in one basket
problem at the moment regarding supplies.

It could be just Mr Murphy and his law showing the weakness of the plan of
course.

Still, I'm sure that a little life extension of a soyuz on orbit and some
nifty *tinkering in Russia will solve it..

If it's a conspiracy, it's a horribly inept one. The best time for
this to have occured is about 2 years ago when ramping up external
tank production would have been most viable. Furthermore, it would
have required several failures of Soyuz, or on-orbit failures of the
spacecraft and Progress to really push through the idea that Shuttle
should be extended until there was a viable U.S. alternative truly up
and running.

Nope, this is good old fashioned statistics coming back to bite us at
a marginally bad time. I'd been predicting for years that something
like this might happen, I'm just glad it did not happen on one of the
manned flights. More to my relief is that we did not see a reentry
disaster as almost happened twice now in the last 7 years with the
Soyuz spacecraft.
-Mike
Old September 1st 11, 12:06 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Bob Haller

Nope, this is good old fashioned statistics coming back to bite us at
a marginally bad time. I'd been predicting for years that something
like this might happen, I'm just glad it did not happen on one of the
manned flights. More to my relief is that we did not see a reentry
disaster as almost happened twice now in the last 7 years with the
Soyuz spacecraft.
-Mike

well we are also do for a ISS debris impact that depressurizes the
station

the odds of this must be increasing over time, espically with that
chinese blowing up a sat, which caused a large increase in the low
earth orbit debris field.

Old September 4th 11, 04:01 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Bob Haller

On Sep 1, 9:59*pm, JF Mezei wrote:
Jeff Findley wrote:
ISS can be oriented so that it presents a minimum frontal area of
pressurized modules into its velocity vector. *This helps to minimize
the chance of impact. *You don't want to fly broadside into a debris
field. *;-)

You're assuming debris flies in the same direction and totally opposite.
* *If debris is comig through at a 90 angle, then reducing frontal
surface of station increases lateral surface and that is how the debris
will hit it.

Obviously, NORAD would provide data to NASA on orbital pattern of the
debris and they woudl orient the station accordingly. But that isn't
necessarily to reduce frontal exposure.

plus much debris are too small to track. a 3 inch bolt at orbital
speeds could wreck ISS