Progress ISS launch fails!

Old August 28th 11, 09:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Progress ISS launch fails!

On 8/27/2011 1:21 PM, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

In that case, the thing to do is to send down promptly a Soyuz with
three people (a minimum of crew and a maximum of castaways, of course).
Now there are seven people on the station rather than ten, and the
resources that would have sustained ten dropping to six should surely be
enough for seven dropping to three, even with one missing delivery.

Obviously Russia would need to produce an extra Soyuz to (almost) make
up for those empty seats lofted, unless Dragon cargo goes so well as to
allow earlier manned Dragon.

If they can't get Soyuz working by November, they are thinking of
de-crewing the station entirely until it's back working again:
http://spaceflightnow.com/station/ex...27unmannedops/
As to what that would mean for Dragon is anyone's guess.

Pat

Old August 28th 11, 09:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 8/27/2011 4:14 PM, Jochem Huhmann wrote:

Which makes me wonder if it wouldn't have been better to offer China
some experiments with docking to the ISS. Having another nation able to
rig up some help would help a lot in the long run.

But the Shenzhou launch rate is so low that they would have to build new
infrastructure to make enough of them to be worthwhile.
They've got almost the most minimal manned space program imaginable, and
you get the feeling that it's on a really shoestring budget.

Pat
Old August 28th 11, 09:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 8/28/2011 7:06 AM, Brian Thorn wrote:

What I do wonder about, is, "would NASA have allowed SpaceX to launch
a Dragon with seats, but unmanned, to go to ISS and bring home the
stranded STS-135 crew?" That should be possible if push came to shove.

Knowing Musk, he could have probably had that ready around a month from
the word "go".
(Cut to astronauts looking at a Naugahyde couch super-glued inside of
the Dragon and a pile of scuba tanks and mouthpieces for their air
supply.) ;-)

Pat
Old August 29th 11, 05:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rick Jones

In sci.space.history Pat Flannery wrote:
On 8/28/2011 7:06 AM, Brian Thorn wrote:

What I do wonder about, is, "would NASA have allowed SpaceX to launch
a Dragon with seats, but unmanned, to go to ISS and bring home the
stranded STS-135 crew?" That should be possible if push came to shove.

Knowing Musk, he could have probably had that ready around a month from
the word "go".
(Cut to astronauts looking at a Naugahyde couch super-glued inside of
the Dragon and a pile of scuba tanks and mouthpieces for their air
supply.) ;-)

Nah, a bunch of Shuttle-surplus suits that SpaceX bought via eBay.

Speaking of which, some places are positing that the ISS might be
unmanned by mid November. As Dragon relies on someone being on the
station to effect the docking, an unmanned ISS means at best (?) the
next Dragon mission would end-up going back to what it was originally
planned to be - dress-rehersal without actual docking.

rick jones
Old August 29th 11, 07:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Mike DiCenso

On Aug 29, 6:16*am, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article 1b96e070-3b38-4733-bf4e-b74f7e2e4068
@v7g2000vbk.googlegroups.com, says...

I just wish that we still had Shuttle for a few more flights.
-Mike

exactly, it was pure miss mangement on the part of nasa and congress
to end shuttle before a replacement was flying

You're such a two faced liar Bob. *You were the one calling for the
immediate end of shuttle flights due to "safety" problems. *You got your
wish, now you're saying you were wrong? *What kind of two faced argument
are you trying to pull this time?

Jeff, Haller is mentally ill. You should know that by now. Imagine a
crazed lunatic at an airport screaming that a plane will crash. Well,
statistically speaking, given enough time and enough flights, that'll
happen, and the nutjob will scream "I told you so!". Same thing with
Haller.

You are just wasting time trying to reason with this guy.
-Mike
Old August 29th 11, 08:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Bob Haller

--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
* up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "

I NEVER anticipated the end of shuttle with no near term
replacement.......

Although the manned shuttle needed to end before we lost another
vehicle and crew. NASA stated publically another loss was expected.

I did believe the shuttle could continue flying at a low rate either
unmanned or with a maximum crew of 2 or a pd ejeection system, or
better a shuttle C variant keeping the existing shuttle available for
special needs.

nasa had lots of choices and made the absolute worst choice ares, too
big too costly that no one wanted
Old August 30th 11, 01:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

On 08/29/2011 11:58 AM, Rick Jones wrote:
In sci.space.history Pat wrote:
[...]

It wouldn't even be that. The C2 demo objectives included a test of crew
commanding from ISS through the CCP/CUCU. Without a crew, they wouldn't
be able to do that test, and they'd still need to do it prior to getting
a go-for-C3. SpaceX would be better off waiting until the station is
re-manned, that way they don't throw away a spacecraft and Falcon.