Different SRB's??

Old November 9th 06, 01:15 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
MetroHenrik

Default Different SRB's??

As i am looking at Discovery's rollout, it looks like there ar two different
SRB's on this stack, or what???

--
Reguardes
Henrik Værum Høgh

Denmark, Europe.

Old November 9th 06, 02:59 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Richard Kaszeta

"MetroHenrik" writes:
As i am looking at Discovery's rollout, it looks like there ar two different
SRB's on this stack, or what???

Have a particular picture you are refering to? I don't see anything
unusual. Note that the left SRB has a black painted band on it for
identification purposes.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Old November 9th 06, 03:37 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
MetroHenrik

"Richard Kaszeta" skrev i en meddelelse
"MetroHenrik" writes:
As i am looking at Discovery's rollout, it looks like there ar two

different
SRB's on this stack, or what???

Have a particular picture you are refering to? I don't see anything
unusual. Note that the left SRB has a black painted band on it for
identification purposes.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

Thats what i see.
I have been looking a littel closer, and it looks like two differenet
boosters.

Silly me, it's the first time i notice that black painted band on the lest
booster.. ;-))
Henrik

Old November 9th 06, 07:05 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

If its not a silly question, surely there must be a way to tell which is
which without the line. Has this always been there?

Brian who wonders why anyone cares which is which.

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old November 9th 06, 07:14 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Rusty

Brian Gaff wrote:
If its not a silly question, surely there must be a way to tell which is
which without the line. Has this always been there?

Brian who wonders why anyone cares which is which.

Because if they bolt them on backwards, the Shuttle will go into a
retrograge orbit.

;-)

Rusty

Old November 9th 06, 07:19 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Pieter[_1_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:ZZK4h.49798$r61.25932
@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

If its not a silly question, surely there must be a way to tell which is
which without the line. Has this always been there?

Brian who wonders why anyone cares which is which.

The line is there to add an additional layer of identification-at-a-glace
to the boosters. During flight & recovery expecially. Each have unique
id's, of course.

Who cares which is which?
Do you care which hand is attached to you left arm? Would your right hand
do as well? The boosters are *not* identical only very similar with a
mirrored layout for controls, etc.
Old November 10th 06, 02:00 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Danny Dot[_1_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
.uk...
If its not a silly question, surely there must be a way to tell which is
which without the line. Has this always been there?

Brian who wonders why anyone cares which is which.

My guess is the line was useful in the Challanger accident.

Danny Dot
www.mobbinggonemad.org

Old November 10th 06, 02:54 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
John[_3_]

Rockets have long been painted with distinctive patterns and markings.
Think about or find a picture of the Gemini/Titan II or of any of the
Saturns. They all had large distinctive high-contrast markings. One
function of these markings was to allow the measurement of vehicle
motions and rates of motion when examining tracking camera film or
video. The information was used to validate telemetry and for gaining
insights into vehicle behavior and performance, especially when things
went wrong and it ended up being a bad day.

The Orbiter, of course, conveniently has large areas of contrasting
tiles so no markings are needed for that purpose. It is not surprising
that the SRBs are marked in the same way especially to facilitate
distinguishing between the two boosters after separation from the rest
of the stack.

Blue skies to all and take care . . .

John

Old November 10th 06, 04:09 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Danny Dot" wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
.uk...
If its not a silly question, surely there must be a way to tell which is
which without the line. Has this always been there?

Brian who wonders why anyone cares which is which.

My guess is the line was useful in the Challanger accident.

Hmm, my memory was taht it was added after taht.

Danny Dot
www.mobbinggonemad.org

Old November 10th 06, 02:38 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Danny Dot" wrote in message
My guess is the line was useful in the Challanger accident.

Hmm, my memory was taht it was added after taht.

Specifically because it was difficult to tell which SRB was which from the
not so great video after the break-up of the stack.

Note that this sort of identification scheme has also been applied to space
suits. Otherwise, it's hard to tell who's who when they're in identical
looking space suits.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)