Arthur C. Clarke

Old December 31st 04, 03:47 PM
Spongey

Default Arthur C. Clarke

I know Arthur C. Clarke lives in Sri Lanka. Does anybody know if he is okay
since the tsunami hit there?

Old December 31st 04, 04:10 PM
Alex Woodward

"Spongey" wrote in message
I know Arthur C. Clarke lives in Sri Lanka. Does anybody know if he is okay
since the tsunami hit there?

Yes, he is ok.

http://www.clarkefoundation.org/

Alex

Old April 19th 05, 09:46 AM
Wings

"Spongey" wrote in message
I know Arthur C. Clarke lives in Sri Lanka. Does anybody know if he is
okay
since the tsunami hit there?

Yes, he is ok.

http://www.clarkefoundation.org/

Alex

Wonder if there is anything to the rumor that he doesn't live in England
because of some activity involving little boys?

Old April 19th 05, 10:19 AM
Double-A

"Spongey" wrote in message
I know Arthur C. Clarke lives in Sri Lanka. Does anybody know if he

is
okay
since the tsunami hit there?

Yes, he is ok.

http://www.clarkefoundation.org/

Alex

Wonder if there is anything to the rumor that he doesn't live in

England
because of some activity involving little boys?

The Mirror claimed that Clarke had paid young boys for sex. It produced
affidavits from the boys in question. Sri Lankan police later disproved
them, he says. The story ran two weeks before Prince Charles flew to
Sri Lanka to confer a knighthood on the grand old man of science
fiction. The saga was the lowest point in his career. At a banquet in
his honour Clarke, who has post polio syndrome, found himself hobbling
away from the press, pursued by an unctuous reporter from the Daily
Telegraph. The episode still upsets him. "I take an extremely dim view
of people mucking about with boys," Clarke says. "The whole thing was
distressing to me. It was vindictive and very unpleasant. I can only
assume it was a plot to embarrass Prince Charles." The novelist finally
got his gong this May, at a low-key ceremony at the British high
commission in Colombo.

Clarke's private life remains a mystery. He was married briefly to an
American, Marilyn Mayfield, now dead, whom he met while diving in
Florida in the 50s. Asked whether he is gay, Clarke always gives the
same puckish pro forma answer: "No, merely cheerful." The answer,
presumably, lies in the "Clarkives" - a vast collection of his
manuscripts and private writings, to be published 50 years after his
death.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/departme...374388,00.html

Double-A