What's so hot about TeleVue eyepieces?

Old December 16th 03, 01:33 PM
Eli Mouzembi

Default What's so hot about TeleVue eyepieces?

I mean, really?

Although their plossl line is superb, the rest of 'em are just
overpriced luxury items that serve no real purpose when it comes to
actual observing.

I can understand dropping a huge amount of cash for an APO or a
fully-equipped catadioptric for serious scientific study and imaging
but 300$ + for a set of lens that aren't really that better than
anything else out there seems nuts to me.

Give me plossls and orthos over these pointless consumer items any
day.

For shame Uncle AL!

EM
Old December 16th 03, 01:43 PM
Edward

"Eli Mouzembi"

For shame Uncle AL!

EM

Dear Troll,

Thank you for your troll. Your troll has been evaluated by
our panel of experts. Here are the results of our tests.

We found that your troll was...
[ ] Incomprehensible
[ ] Offensive
[ ] Just plain stupid
[x] Without merit
[ ] Grammatically incorrect
[ ] Laced with spelling and punctuation errors
[ ] Laden with circular reasoning
[ ] Laced with misunderstandings of basic scientific principles
[ ] Somewhat too revealing of your minimal mental abilities
[x] Too similar to other trolls submitted in the past

You could improve your troll considerably by...
[ ] Including a few actual facts
[ ] Taking remedial English lessons
[ ] Mentioning that you are a professional
[ ] Stating more falsehoods as facts than you already have
[ ] Swearing more
[ ] Including more colorful personal insults
[ ] Using the phrases "you people" or "those people" more
[ ] Modifying your insults to cover larger groups of people at once
[ ] Ranting incoherently
[ ] Using religious or racial slurs
[ ] Using the words "junk", "crap", "garbage", "toy", "flimsy" and
"Professional" more frequently
[x] Using childish taunts
[ ] Including fake laughter such as "ha ha ha" or "har de har de har"
[ ] Focusing on just one outrageous topic will give your troll more punch
[ ] Ignoring any facts, and using more absolutes in your troll
[ ] Using all capital letters
[ ] Focusing more on those areas in which "your" view is better than "their"
view
[ ] Exaggerate more, you need not be limited by facts

Please get a...
[ ] life
[x] grip
[ ] job
[ ] clue
[ ] book on basic history/astronomy
[ ] note from your mom
[ ] telescope

You should...
[ ] Have someone who can read review your postings
[ ] Save your postings for later and think if you really want to send them
[ ] Take your medication
[ ] Not have "one for the road" next time
[ ] Stay in school
[x] Go and buy whatever eyepiece you want, we don't care
[ ] Think about other people's feelings before you post
[ ] Get your ego boost some other way
[ ] Realize that by trolling a group you hurt everyone, not just the people
you are mad at
[ ] Go away so we can talk about astronomy
[ ] Put up a web site with your name on it to show the world
[ ] Take down your web site, it's not very good

Suggested other activities besides trolling...
[x] Posting something constructive
[ ] Actually having a look through a telescope
[ ] Helping someone else
[ ] Spending some time with your family instead of your magazines
[ ] Working off that big pot belly
[ ] Get your ego boost instead by helping out at a local hospital
[ ] Consider another hobby that does not require contact with other humans
e.g. mortuary science

Thank you for your submission.

You have...
[ ] passed
[ ] passed with honors
[x] failed, must try harder

Old December 16th 03, 02:14 PM
Jon Isaacs

Thank you for your troll. Your troll has been evaluated by
our panel of experts. Here are the results of our tests.

We found that your troll was...
[ ] Incomprehensible....

I like it. Funny, funny, funny.

Jon
Old December 16th 03, 02:41 PM
Edward

I must add that the form used by our panel of experts was created by an
individual whose name is not readily available to me. I hope credit can be
given with someone's help.

Ed T.

Old December 16th 03, 04:20 PM
Al

I can only assume that you never used some of Uncle Al's great eyepieces.
Viewing with a Panoptic would probably change your mind or suggest that you
may need the aid of a good eye doctor. If you think the eyepieces are
expensive, you're absolutely right...but they really are good. I remember
the days when I was trying to find the perfect eyepieces...I tried all of
them and sold most of them the next day on astromart. Today my eyepiece
case is almost exclusive filled with Uncle Al's best. Keep in mind that the
images produced by the worlds best and most expensive APO is only as good as
the eyepiece you're using.

Al

om...

Old December 16th 03, 04:24 PM
Al

Hey Edward,

It must be very cloudy. Hope you get some clear skies soon.:-)

Al

.net...

Old December 16th 03, 04:51 PM
Jskies187

I can only assume that you never used some of Uncle Al's great eyepieces.
Viewing with a Panoptic would probably change your mind or suggest that you
may need the aid of a good eye doctor.

Well sure.
Or perhaps not.
A good eye doctor is always a good idea.

Keep in mind that the
images produced by the worlds best and most expensive APO is only as good as
the eyepiece you're using.

And the mount, the diagonal, the seeing, the transparency, dark adaptation, and
the experience of the observer.

john
Old December 16th 03, 05:07 PM
Jskies187

I can understand dropping a huge amount of cash for an APO

What on earth for?

or a
fully-equipped catadioptric

Oh ick!

Give me plossls and orthos over these pointless consumer items any
day.

How frivolous! When kellners can do just as well. Sounds like you're as nutty
as the rest!

john
Old December 16th 03, 06:05 PM
Brian Tung

Eli Mouzembi wrote:
Although their plossl line is superb, the rest of 'em are just
overpriced luxury items that serve no real purpose when it comes to
actual observing.

De gustibus non disputandum est.

You can't argue matters of taste. The price of the TV eyepieces goes
into a well-corrected wide field of view. If you don't use the wide
field of view, then it's not going to make sense for you. That doesn't
mean that's the case for everyone.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old December 16th 03, 06:20 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Al wrote:
[troll feeding deleted]

So our No. 1 troll responder jumps right in again. The way I see it you
are either:

1. Too naive to realize you are being trolled, or even what a troll is.

2. So in love with your own point of view that you can't help but
respond to every person who disagrees with you in the slightest, even if
they are clearly trolling.

3. Are a stooge working with the trollers.

You've been around too long now for it to be 1, which leaves 2 or 3.
Regardless of which it is, can't you find something better to do with
your time? Not that I care mind you, but you ought to.