NASA: New Space Plan Will Take Months

Old February 3rd 10, 04:03 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Mike Jr

Default NASA: New Space Plan Will Take Months

""To people who are working on these programs, this is like a death in
the family," an emotional NASA chief Charles Bolden told reporters
Tuesday, choking up at times. "Everybody needs to understand that and
we need to give them time to grieve and then we need to give them time
to recover.""

http://www.space.com/news/nasa-futur...on-100202.html

NASA is going to be getting the top recruits now, no doubt about it.~

--Mike Jr.
Old February 3rd 10, 05:24 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Jonathan

Default New Space Plan Will Take Months

"Mike Jr" wrote in message
""To people who are working on these programs, this is like a death in
the family," an emotional NASA chief Charles Bolden told reporters
Tuesday, choking up at times. "Everybody needs to understand that and
we need to give them time to grieve and then we need to give them time
to recover.""

http://www.space.com/news/nasa-futur...on-100202.html

NASA is going to be getting the top recruits now, no doubt about it.~

--Mike Jr.

Just outsource it to Russia!

Old February 3rd 10, 04:16 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Mike Jr

On Feb 3, 12:03*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Mike Jr wrote:
""To people who are working on these programs, this is like a death in
the family," an emotional NASA chief Charles Bolden told reporters
Tuesday, choking up at times. "Everybody needs to understand that and
we need to give them time to grieve and then we need to give them time
to recover.""

http://www.space.com/news/nasa-futur...on-100202.html

NASA is going to be getting the top recruits now, no doubt about it.~

And once again the politicians show us that all the hue and cry about how
the US is falling behind in science is just posturing and that they don't
really give a damn.

If you want Americans to study science and engineering, the high-glamor
projects and the good jobs have to be out there, and the sad fact is that
most Americans who did study those fields cannot find work in them.

There is certainly a lot of damage that the next administration is
going to have to fix.

It is interesting fact that gamers are driving the evolution and
advancement of graphics cards. Those very same cards are being used
to drive the desktops used to analyze photographic intelligence.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/systems/iec.htm

I think the lesson is that manned space exploration has to make
economic sense. It currently does not. NASA shouldn't be the primary
driver of manned space flight technology but rather the beneficiary of
technology being advanced by commercial concerns, even if that
commercial concern is something as mundane as space tourism.

--Mike Jr.

Old February 3rd 10, 04:48 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
J. Clarke

Mike Jr wrote:
[...]

The trouble is that that puts the entire space program on the back burner
for most of this century or kills it outright, and the US loses another
industry that the US created.

Old February 3rd 10, 05:24 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
[email protected]

Mike Jr wrote:
[...]

I'm not convinced that something who's sole and total customer base is
the government meets the definition of an "industry".

I would be more worried about the fact that export restrictions have
resulted in a decline in US satellite commercial sales from about 90%
of the world market to about 50%.

And commercial satellites is a real, US, profit making industry.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old February 3rd 10, 06:00 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Uncle Al

Mike Jr wrote:

""To people who are working on these programs, this is like a death in
the family," an emotional NASA chief Charles Bolden told reporters
Tuesday, choking up at times. "Everybody needs to understand that and
we need to give them time to grieve and then we need to give them time
to recover.""

http://www.space.com/news/nasa-futur...on-100202.html

NASA is going to be getting the top recruits now, no doubt about it.~

Yeah, top recruits,

BRODY, "When can we have the Ark?"
EATON, "I thought we answered that. It's someplace very safe -"
INDY, "That's a powerful force. Research should be done -"
EATON. "Oh, it will be, Dr. Jones, I assure you. We have top men
working on it right now."
INDY, "Who?"
EATON, "Top men."

Everybody knew Return to the Moon! was a farce. Everybody burned the
budget, had nice lunches, and sent out their resumes while the fish
still didn't stink. As for "getting the top recruits," Werner von
Braun and his boys are dead.

Fire 90% of NASA management. Allow the dozen or so engineers to get
bored and think of something interesting. Grab Apophis on 13 Friday
April 2029 when it passes within 18,800 to 20,800 miles of the
surface. IS THAT CLOSE ENOUGH? Sell pieces on eBay, $(USD)100/100
mg.

NASA, "I can has asteroid?"

TOP SECRET
ARMY INTEL. #9906753
DO NOT OPEN!

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
Old February 3rd 10, 06:34 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Mike Jr

Mike Jr wrote:
[...]

The entire *manned* space flight program perhaps.

Consider that the manned space flight "industry" got a huge assist
from an Atlas booster that was designed and built by the USAF as an
ICBM.
The cold war drove the need for improvements in rocket technology.
What we need now is a real industry to drove manned space flight in
the 21st century.

--Mike Jr.

Old February 3rd 10, 06:49 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Mike Jr

Mike Jr wrote:
[...]

What we need now is a real industry to drive manned space flight in
the 21st century.

--Mike Jr.

Fixed typo.

Old February 3rd 10, 07:43 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
J. Clarke

Mike Jr wrote:
[...]

Not gonna happen until launch costs are a lot lower, and that's not going to
happen as long as the cost of replacing/repairing launch vehicles is greater
than the cost of the fuel to fly them.

But that's not going to happen because the development costs are too high
and the ROI too low to attract private investment, and the politicians want
instant gratification, not a series of x-planes leading after a couple of
decades to the final objective. That's why the shuttle was such a piece of
crap--it was an X-plane pretending to be an airliner.