Falcon 1: stage separation failure?

Old August 3rd 08, 05:55 AM posted to sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_4_]

Default Falcon 1: stage separation failure?

Current word is that first stage operation was normal, but that the stages
failed to separate. The word is from Elon Musk himself.

They have two more Falcon 1s ready to fly, and they'll keep on going
for the forseeable future.

--Damon
Old August 3rd 08, 06:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
Bad Idea

Space has an infinite capacity . . . for suckers.

Elon Musk said the previous failure "retired almost all the risk
associated with the rocket."

I can't wait for his shuck & jive this time.

Old August 3rd 08, 06:29 AM posted to sci.space.history
kT

Bad Idea wrote:

Space has an infinite capacity . . . for suckers.

That would be you. You live in space, on a planet.

The sooner you start acting like it, the better off we all will be.

Elon Musk said the previous failure "retired almost all the risk
associated with the rocket."

He said rocket, not launch. Launches occasionally fail, especially brand
new rockets built by a brand new company in their first few launches.

I can't wait for his shuck & jive this time.

It's his baby to shuck and jive.

You've got NOTHING to say about it, he won that COTS money fair and
square. You've got ZERO investment in this thing. There is nothing
fundamentally wrong with his approach, in fact, he's looking at a HUGE
Falcon 1 business in reusable liquid boosters (LRBs) he doesn't even
know about yet. People are itching to start investing in this thing.
Old August 3rd 08, 06:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Bad Idea

kT wrote:
You've got NOTHING to say about it, he won that COTS money fair and
square. You've got ZERO investment in this thing.

Sorry for denigrating your religion, but every US taxpayer has
something to say about it. We paid for the COTS contract, its
administration, the launch facility, and the payloads which were so
carelessly thrown away.

People are itching to start investing in this thing.

Then you will be very happy to take my share. Please put your money
where your mouth is.
Old August 3rd 08, 06:58 AM posted to sci.space.history
kT

Bad Idea wrote:
kT wrote:
You've got NOTHING to say about it, he won that COTS money fair and
square. You've got ZERO investment in this thing.

Sorry for denigrating your religion, but every US taxpayer has
something to say about it. We paid for the COTS contract, its
administration, the launch facility, and the payloads which were so
carelessly thrown away.

Sorry, that's not how the process works.

It was an award, under a space act agreement. Look it up.

People are itching to start investing in this thing.

Then you will be very happy to take my share.

You have no 'share', except in the 'Stick'.

Hahahah ahahahhahahah ahahah ... sorry, that's rich.

Please put your money where your mouth is.

You can't eat money, and expect to live for very long.

If your representative government had any brains at all they would have
been flying both EELVs shortly after the Columbia disaster. But since
they represent YOU, they don't have any sense at all. Thus we have to
rely on heroic private sector efforts like that of SpaceX employees.
Old August 3rd 08, 04:11 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 23:55:21 -0500, Damon Hill
wrote:

Current word is that first stage operation was normal, but that the stages
failed to separate. The word is from Elon Musk himself.

Hmm. That roll doesn't look normal. Maybe it didn't contribute to the
failure, but it must be fixed before Flight 4, if there ever is a
Flight 4.

They have two more Falcon 1s ready to fly, and they'll keep on going
for the forseeable future.

Almost certainly without paying customers. I think the odds are pretty
high that Falcon 1 is dead and will go the way of Delta III. Boeing
officially still offered Delta III for a long while after the Flight 3
underperformance, but no customers would go near it. Same with Falcon
1 now, I suspect.

Brian
Old August 3rd 08, 05:19 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

Where are those physics, science and fly-by-rocket smart Zionist/Nazi
DARPA when you need them?

And supposedly our best expertise outside of DARPA somehow managed to
get us safely walking on our physically dark and nasty Selene/moon as
of 4 decades ago. You can bet your lucky stars that we've all been
snookered by those having "the right stuff" and by their army or swarm
of brown-nosed minions and clowns in charge of public damage-control.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth

Old August 3rd 08, 05:25 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Aug 2, 10:44 pm, Bad Idea wrote:
kT wrote:
You've got NOTHING to say about it, he won that COTS money fair and
square. You've got ZERO investment in this thing.

Sorry for denigrating your religion, but every US taxpayer has
something to say about it. We paid for the COTS contract, its
administration, the launch facility, and the payloads which were so
carelessly thrown away.

People are itching to start investing in this thing.

Then you will be very happy to take my share. Please put your money
where your mouth is.

But as village idiots that are essentially paying for everything,
we're not supposed to care about such mission failures or that of
their all-inclusive cost or subsequent consequences.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth
Old August 3rd 08, 05:29 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Aug 2, 10:58 pm, kT wrote:
Bad Idea wrote:
kT wrote:
[...]

Spoken like a good little Zionist/Nazi mindset that you are. Why
don't you and others with fossil energy stocks and offshore bank
accounts pay for the failures out of the goodness of your heart?

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth

Old August 3rd 08, 05:38 PM posted to sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_4_]

Brian Thorn wrote in
:

wrote:

Hmm. That roll doesn't look normal. Maybe it didn't contribute to the
failure, but it must be fixed before Flight 4, if there ever is a
Flight 4.

Agreed; the roll oscillation was visible albeit not severe, but the
prior flight first stage seemed rock steady during powered flight.
I was cringing up to the point of video cutoff, but was still surprised
as there wasn't anything else going obviously wrong.

We'll have to wait for the investigation report to know the full
sequence of details.

General informed opinion is that the regen Merlin engine has a
spiral wound exhaust nozzle which induces roll torque; guidance
was constantly correcting during powered flight, so it was a
'normal' characteristic unrelated to the separation failure.
Makes me a bit twitchy to watch it, though.

--Damon

Falcon first stage finished Vince Cate Policy 97 May 24th 07 02:51 PM
Insulated Falcon stage 2? Henry Policy 3 December 15th 05 08:30 PM
Angular separation garry parker UK Astronomy 2 April 2nd 05 01:18 AM
MER-A separation from crew stage successful! OM History 2 January 4th 04 06:37 PM
MER-A separation from crew stage successful! OM Policy 1 January 4th 04 05:44 PM