Value in imaging Comet 17C/Holmes from Ulysses or other probes?

Old October 31st 07, 03:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Wayne Farmer

Default Value in imaging Comet 17C/Holmes from Ulysses or other probes?

Given the difficulty in assessing Comet 17C/Holmes' tail from an Earth
or Mars viewpoint, would there be value in imaging the comet from a
better viewpoint? Even if Cassini had enough resolution, I think the
comet would be too close to the Sun for viewing from Saturn. Are
there other options, such as Ulysses?

Old October 31st 07, 11:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mark Conroe

"Wayne Farmer" wrote:

Given the difficulty in assessing Comet 17C/Holmes' tail from an Earth
or Mars viewpoint, would there be value in imaging the comet from a
better viewpoint? Even if Cassini had enough resolution, I think the
comet would be too close to the Sun for viewing from Saturn. Are
there other options, such as Ulysses?

Ulysses does not have an imaging camera, and the MERs don't currently
have enough energy at night to use Pancam. I'm sure the guys at
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com would be able to give a more
complete answer.

Old November 1st 07, 08:03 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Wayne Farmer

On Oct 31, 5:24 am, "Mark Conroe" wrote:
"Wayne Farmer" wrote:
Given the difficulty in assessing Comet 17C/Holmes' tail from an Earth
or Mars viewpoint, would there be value in imaging the comet from a
better viewpoint? Even if Cassini had enough resolution, I think the
comet would be too close to the Sun for viewing from Saturn. Are
there other options, such as Ulysses?

Ulysses does not have an imaging camera, and the MERs don't currently
have enough energy at night to use Pancam. I'm sure the guys athttp://www.unmannedspaceflight.comwould be able to give a more
complete answer.

Thanks, Mark. I've taken your advice and have registered and posted
my question at that site; see http://tinyurl.com/ytr8sc .

Comet Holmes Pete L Misc 1 October 30th 07 03:14 AM
Comet Holmes/17P Astronomaki Amateur Astronomy 0 October 27th 07 04:58 PM
Comet Holmes - File 1 of 1 - Holmes.jpg (1/1) Skywise Astro Pictures 3 October 26th 07 05:25 AM
Comet Holmes 17/P William R. Mattil Amateur Astronomy 2 October 25th 07 03:56 PM
Comet Holmes Skywise Astro Pictures 1 October 25th 07 07:34 AM