"Dew Buster" vs. "Kendrick"

Old May 11th 04, 01:59 AM
dmoody

Default "Dew Buster" vs. "Kendrick"

Paul Gustafson wrote:

"Mark Smith" wrote in message
Anybody have experience with the two controllers? I understand that
the heaters themselves are interchangable. The high end Kendrick
controller, while it looks really cool, is much more than I am ever
going to need. I like the looks of the Dew Buster over the basic
Kendrick controller but am looking for experiences.

I had the basic Kendrick and was happy with its performance on a variety
of scopes from a 92mm refractor to a C-11. However, it couldn't keep my
10" mak-cass dew free even when set on high in severe dew conditions. I
bought the DewBuster in the hopes that it would perform better on the 10"
but it did not. I saw no difference in performance between the two --
where the Kendrick basic works the Dew Buster works, but neither was up to
the task on the 10" with that big chunk of glass. I tried a new heater
strip to make certain it wasn't involved, still no go. I guess I'll try
the new Kendrick next.

Paul Gustafson

Paul,

I wonder if your problem isn't more of a function of your heating strip
configuration (or the strips themselves) rather than the controller. Also,
do you have a good dew shield that is also insulative? When do you start
(turn on) your dew heating system? A 10" Mak-Cass meniscus is a thick
piece of glass compared to a 10" SCT corrector. In high dew situations,
both your heating strip set up and your dew shield insulation capabilities
are very critical.

Additionally, it would be critical to start your dew heating system at the
very beginning of the evening as soon as you are set up. Otherwise, it
will be trying to play catch up the rest of the evening if the temperature
drops are steep, which is typical for heavy dew situations. With your
thicker glass, that becomes even more critical. I am a big fan the
DewBuster, but I don't think any controller will solve your problem if
those elements aren't properly addressed as well.

Have you spoken with Ron Keating (of DewBuster) about your problem? I am
sure he would be more than happy to help you, especially considering the
uniqueness of your situation. He has a very good understanding about the
dynamics of dew as it can apply to wide range of telescope configurations.

I have a 10" SCT and the DewBuster has performed in an outstanding fashion
for me while keeping the objective plate, a companion scope (ranging from
an 80mm f/5 to a 5" refractor on a side by side), finder optics, Telrad,
and eyepiece clear. It is basically a fire and forget solution to dew. I
live north of New Orleans and, naturally, the dew is tremendous down here.

David Moody
Old May 11th 04, 04:41 AM
CLT

I'll throw in another vote for the Dew Buster. I live next to Puget Sound,
home of perpetual dew. The Dew Buster lets me turn it on and forget it for
the rest of the evening.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
And the Lunar Picture of the Day http://www.lpod.org/

"Mark Smith" wrote in message
Anybody have experience with the two controllers? I understand that
the heaters themselves are interchangable. The high end Kendrick
controller, while it looks really cool, is much more than I am ever
going to need. I like the looks of the Dew Buster over the basic
Kendrick controller but am looking for experiences.

Thanks.

Clear, Dark Skies

Mark