Falcon 9 - First stage to be recovered!

Old December 8th 10, 01:25 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_3_]

Default Falcon 9 - First stage to be recovered!

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/002/status.html

Weather permitting.
Old December 8th 10, 02:34 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

In article . com,
says...

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/002/status.html

Weather permitting.

From what I've read, they're uging NASA's SRB recovery ships for this.
It really makes sense to recover the first stage. Even if it's not able
to be reused, it can be inspected. Post flight inspection could reveal
problems with the luanch vehicle which would otherwise go unnoticed.

Jeff
--
42
Old December 8th 10, 03:05 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 9/12/2010 1:34 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In igpond.com,
says...

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/002/status.html

Weather permitting.

From what I've read, they're uging NASA's SRB recovery ships for this.
It really makes sense to recover the first stage. Even if it's not able
to be reused, it can be inspected. Post flight inspection could reveal
problems with the luanch vehicle which would otherwise go unnoticed.

Jeff

Absolutely; I couldn't agree more. I've read that SpaceX does intend to
re-use the first stage.
Old December 9th 10, 10:06 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

I thought the whole problem with first stage reuse was the ingress of salt
water into the mechanisms etc. Its a nice idea but might it not cost more
than a new one?
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
ond.com...
On 9/12/2010 1:34 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In igpond.com,
says...

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/002/status.html

Weather permitting.

From what I've read, they're uging NASA's SRB recovery ships for this.

Old December 9th 10, 11:10 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 9/12/2010 9:06 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
I thought the whole problem with first stage reuse was the ingress of salt
water into the mechanisms etc. Its a nice idea but might it not cost more
than a new one?
Brian

Perhaps water recovery's only for the prototype flights and land
recovery will be for operational use? Remember Kistler's K1?
Old December 9th 10, 07:45 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Damon Hill[_4_]

Alan Erskine wrote in news:ZGLLo.4538$gM3.3962
@viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/002/status.html

Weather permitting.

Reportedly only debris found, and what I think was a prototype
suborbital package with a "black box" data recorder. No details
on the recovery systems, which I presume include parachutes.

--Damon