IC 1230; 4 galaxies in one halo

Old October 7th 15, 08:20 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default IC 1230; 4 galaxies in one halo

IC 1230 is a pair of galaxies along with two others that appear to be in a common large halo. Only the northern galaxy has any distance data. That puts it 640 million light-years distant in very northern Hercules. The other two sharing the northern part of the halo carry rather the obtuse designations of SDSSCGB 08814.02 and .03 left to right (east to west). This is because the group of 5, these two the blue spiral and IC 1230 (the pair) is the SDSSCGB 08814 galaxy group. Only 4 are in the common halo. How many are actually part of the same physical group I can't determine. The halo is about 350,000 light-years across in my image assuming the 640 million light-year distance. The blue spiral would be 90,000 light-years across if part of the group. So its size does fit with it being a true member. But it would fit at half that size and distance as well. That doesn't help much. Still the huge halo does seem to argue that the 4 elliptical like galaxies are physically related and have contributed stars to the huge halo.

To the north is IC 1229. It is in Draco. In fact the boundary line is just at the north edge of the IC 1230 galaxy group's halo. So about half my image is in Draco and half in Hercules. As with the other galaxies but for the larger member of the IC 1230 pair IC 1229 has no distance data nor does NED classify it.

Both IC 1229 and IC 1230 were found by Lewis Swift on September 18, 1890. He described 1230 as "...most extremely faint, small round, very difficult, southeastern of 2"." I can't fathom what that 2" is in reference to. The two members of IC 1230 are 8" apart not two and if he meant two minutes then IC 1229 is 3 minutes distant not 2 but 1230 is southeast of 1229. Now where are those folks who talk to the the dead when you need them to solve such mysteries?

Oddly the only galaxy to have a classification at NED was the flat galaxy FGC 2064 which is listed as Sc. No distance data however. The annotated image lists three galaxy clusters in the image I could identify by its Bright Cluster Galaxy. Only the clusters had redshift data, never the BCG and that was photographic which can be rather fuzzy at these distances. I didn't note anything else. They had no useful data and were listed only by their coordinates in the 2MASS and SDSS. No asteroid appeared this far to the north.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC1230L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	5914  Click image for larger version

Name:	IC1230L4X10RGB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	5915

Last edited by WA0CKY : October 7th 15 at 08:24 PM.

ASTRO: Arp 169 Three galaxies, one halo Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 4 April 28th 10 11:25 PM
Group of galaxies found to bend the light of remote galaxies (Forwarded) Andrew Yee News 0 January 6th 07 06:56 AM
Group of galaxies found to bend the light of remote galaxies(Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 January 6th 07 06:53 AM
Old Galaxies in the Young Universe: VLT Unravels New Population of Very Old Massive Galaxies (Forwarded) greywolf42 Astronomy Misc 6 August 11th 04 05:41 PM
Dark Matter extended Halo structure of Spiral Galaxies, the origin of Lensed Einstein Crosses. Leo Amateur Astronomy 1 October 16th 03 04:10 PM