Black Hole Strikes Deepest Musical Note Ever Heard

Old September 11th 03, 03:52 AM
HellPopeHuey

Default Black Hole Strikes Deepest Musical Note Ever Heard

I knew there was a good reason for my becoming UNconstipated so
suddenly.

http://tinyurl.com/mvnu

excerpt

By Robert Roy Britt
Senior Science Writer, SPACE.com

"Astronomers have detected the deepest note ever generated in the
cosmos, a B-flat flying through space like a ripple on an invisible
pond. No human will
actually hear the note, because it is 57 octaves below the keys in the
middle of
a piano. The detection was made with NASA (news - web sites)'s Chandra
X-ray
Observatory and announced at a press conference today.

The note strikes an important chord with astronomers, who say it may
help them understand how the universe's largest structures, called
galaxy
clusters, evolve. The sound waves appear to be heating gas in the
Perseus galaxy cluster,
some 250 million light-years away, potentially solving a longstanding
mystery
about why the gas surrounding this cluster and others does not chill
out as existing
theory predicts. The gas is apparently dancing excitedly to the
eons-long drone of a
deep B-flat.

Black hole music

Astronomers were not surprised to find the supermassive black hole
making a strong sub-bass sound. Though these greatest known matter
sinks are by nature
dark and invisible, they create bright and chaotic environments in
which many
forms of radiation -- from radio waves to visible light to X-rays --
have been
recorded.

These electromagnetic waves all travel at the speed of light. Sound
waves are similar, but they travel far more slowly and are more
physical in
nature. Sound you hear, for example, can be produced by the visible
compression and expansion of a stereo speaker. The waves physically
compress the
stuff through which they move, be it air, water, or hot interstellar
gas.
Other studies have shown that the riotous activity around black holes
-- where gas is accelerated to nearly light-speed -- produces many
notes that are,
all together, much like music. Collectively, the cosmos produce,
scientists
believe, a cacophonic symphony of inaudible tunes."

Kinda like some damned Goth "concert", except that the stupid Goths
are way TOO audible.

--

HellPope Huey
Objects in emotion tend to stay in emotion

Morality, like art, means a drawing a line someplace.
- Oscar Wilde

We are ill-prepared for an airborne ass-monkey problem.
- Jon Stewart
Old September 11th 03, 06:11 AM
Wbarwell

**************

[...]

Cthulhu does play the organ.

--
When I shake my killfile, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Old September 11th 03, 06:45 AM
Gigantittythropus

I heard a guy in Oakland had his car stereo down to about 37.9 octaves below
middle piano b-flat. People would generally projectile **** when he got
within 5 miles. Third magnitude abdominal distress is rampant and most lower
order animal species have been obliterated but on top of that the music is
really ****ty.

om...

Old September 11th 03, 03:43 PM
Carusus

Sound can travel through interstellar gas - it explains this in the article.

Cardboard Box wrote:

Some time between the hours of March 10th and Friday,
(HellPopeHuey) committed the following:

"Astronomers have detected the deepest note ever generated in the
cosmos, a B-flat flying through space like a ripple on an invisible
pond.

Call me pedantic, but I understood sound waves can't travel through space -
not enough matter to shake all about. I remember an experiment was done
once where some guy pumped air out of a chamber in which a bell was
ringing, and when all the air was extracted, you couldn't hear the thing.
(They didn't have Purple back then so they couldn't use him.)

Old September 11th 03, 03:45 PM
Carusus

Grieg supposedly went mad hearing top G'' for the last three years of
his life.
This Bflat has been going on for 2.5 billion years ...
I wonder if the pitch has increased over time (as with the Vienna
Philharmonic)?

Old September 11th 03, 03:58 PM
ghost

Cardboard Box wrote:

Some time between the hours of March 10th and Friday,
(HellPopeHuey) committed the following:

"Astronomers have detected the deepest note ever generated in the
cosmos, a B-flat flying through space like a ripple on an invisible
pond.

Call me pedantic, but I understood sound waves can't travel through

space -
not enough matter to shake all about. I remember an experiment was done
once where some guy pumped air out of a chamber in which a bell was
ringing, and when all the air was extracted, you couldn't hear the thing.
(They didn't have Purple back then so they couldn't use him.)

I probably did the math wrong, but that star is most likely perkin' along at
245 bpm... too fast to dance to, but too slow to hear.... but if it was REAL
LOUD, it might make you **** yourself (see Levasseur Whistle).