Astronomers Find Sun’s ‘Long-Lost Brother,’ Pave Way for Family Reunion

Old May 10th 14, 02:10 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Astronomers Find Sun’s ‘Long-Lost Brother,’ Pave Way for Family Reunion

Astronomers Find Sun’s ‘Long-Lost Brother,’ Pave Way for Family Reunion
| News
http://www.utexas.edu/news/2014/05/0...ing-astronomy/

"AUSTIN, Texas — A team of researchers led by astronomer Ivan Ramirez of
The University of Texas at Austin has identified the first “sibling” of
the sun — a star almost certainly born from the same cloud of gas and
dust as our star. Ramirez’s methods will help astronomers find other
solar siblings, which could lead to an understanding of how and where
our sun formed, and how our solar system became hospitable for life. The
work appears in the June 1 issue of The Astrophysical Journal."
Old May 11th 14, 12:42 AM posted to sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Friday, May 9, 2014 6:10:09 PM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Astronomers Find Sunï¿ 1/2 s ï¿ 1/2 Long-Lost Brother,ï¿ 1/2 Pave Way for Family Reunion

| News

http://www.utexas.edu/news/2014/05/0...ing-astronomy/

"AUSTIN, Texas ï¿ 1/2 A team of researchers led by astronomer Ivan Ramirez of

The University of Texas at Austin has identified the first ï¿ 1/2 siblingï¿ 1/2 of

the sun ï¿ 1/2 a star almost certainly born from the same cloud of gas and

dust as our star. Ramirezï¿ 1/2 s methods will help astronomers find other

solar siblings, which could lead to an understanding of how and where

our sun formed, and how our solar system became hospitable for life. The

work appears in the June 1 issue of The Astrophysical Journal."

There's actually a fair number of solar siblings as having been cataloged for more than three years, that should be of the same cosmic vintage as our sun, and roughly of a similar mass which might reasonably suggest their having a similar assortment of planets.
http://arxiv-web3.library.cornell.edu/pdf/1405.1723.pdf
Old May 11th 14, 04:01 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 10/05/2014 7:42 PM, Brad Guth wrote:
There's actually a fair number of solar siblings as having been cataloged for more than three years, that should be of the same cosmic vintage as our sun, and roughly of a similar mass which might reasonably suggest their having a similar assortment of planets.
http://arxiv-web3.library.cornell.edu/pdf/1405.1723.pdf

Looks like this is the first one that was confirmed, because this star
HD 162826 also appears in the list above. But in the list above, it is
simply called "a candidate".

Yousuf Khan

Old May 11th 14, 04:30 PM posted to sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Sunday, May 11, 2014 8:01:37 AM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 10/05/2014 7:42 PM, Brad Guth wrote:

There's actually a fair number of solar siblings as having been cataloged for more than three years, that should be of the same cosmic vintage as our sun, and roughly of a similar mass which might reasonably suggest their having a similar assortment of planets.

http://arxiv-web3.library.cornell.edu/pdf/1405.1723.pdf

Looks like this is the first one that was confirmed, because this star

HD 162826 also appears in the list above. But in the list above, it is

simply called "a candidate".

Yousuf Khan

It seems to have been moving away too fast (do the math and report back), although its mass and elements are indeed similar enough.

What's pushing these relatively nearby stars apart?

Old May 14th 14, 05:18 AM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 11/05/2014 11:30 AM, Brad Guth wrote:
It seems to have been moving away too fast (do the math and report
back), although its mass and elements are indeed similar enough.

What's pushing these relatively nearby stars apart?

Because open clusters are at the mercy of every other star in the plane
of the galaxy, so they break apart. Unlike closed globular clusters
which only feel each other's gravity most of the time.

Yousuf Khan