Friday Night / Light Shade

Old September 27th 03, 06:16 PM
Starlord

Default Friday Night / Light Shade

As you know I've been looking for something to use as a light shade to help
block some of the stray light while up at the corner. Yesterday I found just
what I had been looking for at last, Place Matts, and these had pictures on them
too.

I spray painted their backside with flat black and did a fast job of putting
them on the scope. They worked just fine. So today I'll remove them and do a
good job of setting them on right. And now not only can they see
stars,planets,etc. Now they can see photos of the Rocky Mts and even Hawaii.
Plus they are plastic covered so they'll hold up longer and I'll pick up some
more as replacements in case these get damaged.

I've got to get some rubbing alchol so I can clean my EP's, between kids and
long lashes of ladys, they are starting to get dirty on the top viewing lens.

Last night wasn't to bad, didn't have lots of people, but every time someone did
stop by, it seemed they would draw others to the scope too. In another group of
messages on SAA, the guy talked about drivers passing by and yelling remarks out
to him, will, he's not alone, the same thing happens to me, but it doesn't hurt
or bother me at all, as they are ones who have zazzed up cars, are H.S.
jucks,(jerks) and don't have the brain cells to know the wonders above their
heads.

One guy came up, he had seen me 5 years ago and had been out of state, just came
back to his house and he spent some time at the scope looking at mars. Tonight
I'll have it on the moon while it's high enough then switch back to mars. I'm
getting people asking for both Jupiter and Saturn, the Mars deal is waring thin
for some of them.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

---

Old September 27th 03, 07:39 PM
WayneH

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:16:47 -0700, "Starlord"
wrote:

I've got to get some rubbing alchol so I can clean my EP's, between kids and
long lashes of ladys, they are starting to get dirty on the top viewing lens.

STOP! DANGER! DON'T use "rubbing alcohol." Oddly enough, this stuff
is intended to be rubbed on the skin, and contains oils and other
"skin" related additives.

You need isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) or acetone, the purer the
better.

Wayne Hoffman
33° 49" 17' N 117° 56" 41' W
"Don't Look Down"

http://home.pacbell.net/w6wlr/
Old September 27th 03, 09:07 PM
Mike Simmons

I find the lens pen (the small size is good for little lenses) the
simplest and quickest for eyepieces, especially in the field under
darkened conditions.

Mike Simmons

Old September 27th 03, 10:08 PM
WayneH

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:07:48 -0700, Mike Simmons
wrote:

I find the lens pen (the small size is good for little lenses) the
simplest and quickest for eyepieces, especially in the field under
darkened conditions.

One of my favorite methods also, Mike. I would, however, suggest
caution in the dark. Its *very* improtant to remove any particles
from the glass first, and they can be difficult to see. Ask me how I
know. (Hint: You can actually *feel* a sand grain of maybe a few
microns dimension as it sleeks your EP.) sob

Wayne Hoffman
33° 49" 17' N 117° 56" 41' W
"Don't Look Down"

http://home.pacbell.net/w6wlr/
Old September 27th 03, 10:36 PM
Mike Simmons

Thanks for the important correction, Wayne (and sorry to hear how the
lesson was learned). Complete darkness is never appropriate for
cleaning glass as you do have to be certain the lens pen's brush or
another method has removed large particles first. Starlord is observing
on an illuminated street so he should be OK there.

Mike Simmons

Old September 28th 03, 04:40 AM
Bill Foley

One of my favorite methods also, Mike. I would, however, suggest
caution in the dark. Its *very* improtant to remove any particles
from the glass first, and they can be difficult to see. Ask me how I
know. (Hint: You can actually *feel* a sand grain of maybe a few
microns dimension as it sleeks your EP.) sob

That's why the LensPen has a brush on the other end - to clear off any grit
before
polishing. But you DO need to see what you are doing, which means doing the
cleaning using enough light, which then robs some darkness adaptation. Since I

have a couple of companies across a parkway from me that are
securitylightomaniacs, a little light to clean my EP's by doesn't matter much..

Clear, Dark, Steady Skies!
(And considerate neighbors!!!)