Orbital night city light visibility

Old May 11th 07, 10:37 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
David Findlay

Default Orbital night city light visibility

How visible are the lights of cities from orbit at night? Is it something
you'd see with the naked eye without really trying? Same with lightning,
can you see the clouds light up easily? Thanks,

David
Old May 11th 07, 08:05 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

On May 11, 2:37 am, David Findlay wrote:
How visible are the lights of cities from orbit at night? Is it something
you'd see with the naked eye without really trying? Same with lightning,
can you see the clouds light up easily? Thanks,

David

I remember one of the early astronauts (from
Mercury, IIRC) describing looking down on
Africa at night and seeing campfires.

One of the rules of thumb from photographic
lighting is that, for extended objects (not point
light sources), the observed surface brightness
is independent of distance. That's because
both the observed angular area and the total
brightness vary with the inverse square of
distance, so the brightness per unit angular
area stays constant.

If that doesn't make sense, here's a
more relevant illustration of the
point: If you've ever flown in an
airliner at night, you'll notice that cities near
the horizon appear about as bright as cities
directly below you, assuming they're
relatively equally densely populated and
equally lit. And cities near the horizon
from a 35,000 ft airliner are at close to
the same distance as cities directly
below an orbiting spacecraft.

I've never been in an orbiting spacecraft,
but I'd expect that, once you're on the
dark side of Earth, if your interior
lights are suitably dimmed and your
eyes are properly dark-adapted, it
should be easy to pick out cities
at night.

Old May 11th 07, 08:16 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

On May 11, 12:05 pm, wrote:
On May 11, 2:37 am, David Findlay wrote:

How visible are the lights of cities from orbit at night? Is it something
you'd see with the naked eye without really trying? Same with lightning,
can you see the clouds light up easily? Thanks,

David

I remember one of the early astronauts (from
Mercury, IIRC) describing looking down on
Africa at night and seeing campfires.

Found a further reference:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...noseprints.htm

Old May 12th 07, 11:03 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
d&tm

wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 11, 12:05 pm, wrote:
On May 11, 2:37 am, David Findlay wrote:

How visible are the lights of cities from orbit at night? Is it

something
you'd see with the naked eye without really trying? Same with

lightning,
can you see the clouds light up easily? Thanks,

David

I remember one of the early astronauts (from
Mercury, IIRC) describing looking down on
Africa at night and seeing campfires.

Found a further reference:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...noseprints.htm

Way back in 62 the city of Perth , Australia turned their lights on for John
Glenn on his orbital flight. He was able to see them clearly. They did it
again for his shuttle trip. Perth was not a huge city in 62,
terry

Old May 13th 07, 03:53 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Danny Deger

"David Findlay" wrote in message
How visible are the lights of cities from orbit at night? Is it something
you'd see with the naked eye without really trying? Same with lightning,
can you see the clouds light up easily? Thanks,

David

I am not sure about city lights, but I have talked to astronauts that have
told me lightening/thunderstorms are VERY visible from orbit. Michael
Collins also mentions this in his book.

Danny Deger

Old May 15th 07, 10:08 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

On May 11, 2:37 am, David Findlay wrote:
How visible are the lights of cities from orbit at night? Is it something
you'd see with the naked eye without really trying? Same with lightning,
can you see the clouds light up easily? Thanks,

There's that composite photo of the USA at night, taken with DOD
satellite cameras (the weather one, IIRC). One of the filenames you
may find this under is "nightlights-081503-0103z.jpg" (although my
copy is just the NE states). I think there is also some post-Katrina
pix showing how the Gulf Coast stayed in the dark.

True, satellite cameras often have better resolution than the human
eye, but they are also often farther out, so I think there's a lot of
opportunity for spotting cities, and maybe towns.

/dps

Old May 16th 07, 05:27 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Mike Ross

"snidely" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 11, 2:37 am, David Findlay wrote:
How visible are the lights of cities from orbit at night? Is it something
you'd see with the naked eye without really trying? Same with lightning,
can you see the clouds light up easily? Thanks,

There's that composite photo of the USA at night, taken with DOD
satellite cameras (the weather one, IIRC). One of the filenames you
may find this under is "nightlights-081503-0103z.jpg" (although my
copy is just the NE states). I think there is also some post-Katrina
pix showing how the Gulf Coast stayed in the dark.

True, satellite cameras often have better resolution than the human
eye, but they are also often farther out, so I think there's a lot of
opportunity for spotting cities, and maybe towns.

/dps

I've seen a poster of the whole world in night time clear views from orbit.
It's amazing, because you can see the city lights all over the heavily
populated and developed areas. The most interesting point I saw was the
difference in North and South Korea. You can make out the 38th parallel
from the sudden absence of lights.

Mike Ross