Apollo 13 tracking question

Old October 28th 03, 03:52 AM
James Nowotarski

Default Apollo 13 tracking question

OK, I'm slightly confused. A while back we had a thread in which it
was stated (I believe) that ground tracking of the CSM was done by the
comms system through active means on the CSM (i.e. the downlink
frequency was linked to the uplink freq. for Doppler, etc.)

So what was the reason for the termination of the urine dumps on 13
after the explosion? For some reason I was under the impression that
the ice crystals were affecting a ground based radar tracking system.

Or am I just misremembering again?

Thanks!

--
Jim
Grasping another opportunity to be wrong!

Old October 28th 03, 05:28 AM
Louis Scheffer

"James Nowotarski" writes:

OK, I'm slightly confused. A while back we had a thread in which it
was stated (I believe) that ground tracking of the CSM was done by the
comms system through active means on the CSM (i.e. the downlink
frequency was linked to the uplink freq. for Doppler, etc.)

The LEM tracking worked the same way, I'd guess. So they could still track
with no power in the CSM.

So what was the reason for the termination of the urine dumps on 13
after the explosion? For some reason I was under the impression that
the ice crystals were affecting a ground based radar tracking system.

I believe they were worried that ejecting any mass would affect the
trajectory. It acts as a very poor efficiency rocket. And in fact this
was a problem, but not from the urine dumps. The LEM evaporated water for
cooling. This changed the trajectory enough so that an extra correction
was required....

Lou Scheffer

Old October 28th 03, 06:02 AM
Derek Lyons

"James Nowotarski" wrote:
So what was the reason for the termination of the urine dumps on 13
after the explosion?

Miscommunication between the ground and the crew.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.

Old October 29th 03, 03:25 AM
James Nowotarski

Well, I found the transcripts, anyway.
-
Jim

Old October 29th 03, 03:48 AM
James Nowotarski

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"James Nowotarski" wrote:
So what was the reason for the termination of the urine dumps on 13
after the explosion?

Miscommunication between the ground and the crew.

Not to be thick about it, but why?
Was the ground asking for no dumps to improve radar skin paints? I
thought that the dumps were essentially non-propulsive in nature.

Is there a A/G or FD loop transcript available on the web?

Thanks!
-
Jim