Atlas SRBs

Old February 10th 04, 04:47 AM
The Ruzicka Family

Default Atlas SRBs

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Scott Lowther wrote:

Easy to see. A pressure vessel like this can withstand several thousan
psi internal pressure, because the pressure is even, and the case walls
are in tension... but like an empty beer can, it's easily squashed by
uneven external pressure. Think of the Atals. Supported by internal
pressure.

Yeah, but this thing is very small compared to the Atlas; it's a little
over 3 feet in diameter by about 30 feet long; and it seems to me that
any material capable of taking the internal pressure of the burning fuel
would be able to take the stress of freefall, given that the
casing/nozzle weighs over 3,000 pounds minus fuel...is the damage
caused by aerodynamic stress when the thing gets jettisoned during the
rocket's ascent? It burns for 53 seconds; what altitude and speed is the
Atlas at after 53 seconds?

Pat

Don't forget that, for the Atlas 2AS, 2 solids are ground-lit, while the
other 2 are air-lit, thus being jettisoned late in flight.

Paul

Old February 10th 04, 09:21 AM
dave schneider

Pat Flannery wrote:
{...]
of steam the heat is removed and the cap screwed on...as it cools, the
can collapses...due to the steam condensing into water and creating a
partial vacuum in it. Early steam engine worked on this principle;
sucking the piston into a steam-filled cylinder as the steam was
condensed by a spray of cold water introduced into the cylinder.
It wasn't the greatest thing in regards to horsepower for weight- but it
didn't have a danger of exploding either.

As I understand it, very few conventional steam cylinders exploded.
It was usually the steam generator (aka boiler) that went, usually
when the crown sheets got uncovered and then hit with water when
someone tried to catch up.

(For locomotives, that often happened on hills) (and for
steam-powered launch vehicles, that often happened right after "roll
program" was called out)

/dps

Old February 10th 04, 11:22 AM
Pat Flannery

dave schneider wrote:

As I understand it, very few conventional steam cylinders exploded.
It was usually the steam generator (aka boiler) that went, usually
when the crown sheets got uncovered and then hit with water when
someone tried to catch up.

This early type relied on steam that had just enough pressure to fill
the empty cylinder; about what comes out of you teapot at home; some of
these "Atmospheric Steam Engines " were very large in size to generate
significant amounts of power, as you were relying on the air pressure
of Earth's atmosphere to do the work. You can read up on them he
http://www.egr.msu.edu/~lira/supp/steam/
In this type of engine, the cylinder had to have enough strength to
resist _implosion_ as the piston was sucked into it.
One can see the headlines now: "Steam engine implodes, over one hundred
somewhat startled!"

Pat

Old February 10th 04, 04:28 PM
Scott Lowther

Pat Flannery wrote:

Yeah, but this thing is very small compared to the Atlas; it's a little
over 3 feet in diameter by about 30 feet long; and it seems to me that
any material capable of taking the internal pressure of the burning fuel
would be able to take the stress of freefall,

While I don't know the Castor cases specifically... It's a
counter-intuitive fact that lightweight modern composite cases 9which
I'd assuem these are) are astonishingly fragile. I've seen soem
fiberwoudn tanks that are meant for 2000 psi, internally... that you
could smash with a girlie punch.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam

Old February 11th 04, 02:51 AM
dave schneider

Pat Flannery wrote:
[...]
http://www.egr.msu.edu/~lira/supp/steam/
In this type of engine, the cylinder had to have enough strength to
resist _implosion_ as the piston was sucked into it.

Blink! :-o

/dps

Old February 11th 04, 07:11 AM
Pat Flannery

dave schneider wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:
[...]

http://www.egr.msu.edu/~lira/supp/steam/
In this type of engine, the cylinder had to have enough strength to
resist _implosion_ as the piston was sucked into it.

Blink! :-o

On Earth the difference between a vacuum and the pressure of the
atmosphere is only around 14.7 PSI at sea level, so you can't generate
much power with one of these things without making it very large; but if
you could figure out how to pull something like this off on the surface
of _Venus_, for instance.....

Pat

Old February 11th 04, 07:15 AM
Rand Simberg

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:11:15 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
Pat Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

http://www.egr.msu.edu/~lira/supp/steam/
In this type of engine, the cylinder had to have enough strength to
resist _implosion_ as the piston was sucked into it.

On Earth the difference between a vacuum and the pressure of the
atmosphere is only around 14.7 PSI at sea level, so you can't generate
much power with one of these things without making it very large;

You mean like a Newcomen engine? The one that kicked off the
Industrial Revolution?

http://technology.niagarac.on.ca/peo...e/newcomen.htm

It did, admittedly, have a poor power/weight ratio...

Old February 27th 04, 01:03 AM
Al Ross

Has anyone ever tried to scuba dive in the area to recover these...they
could be marketable to collectors...would that even be legal?
.. .