Ice Cap

Old September 11th 03, 02:26 PM
Pat Dotson

Default Ice Cap

When I first looked at Mars a month ago the ice cap was the most
prominent feature. The markings on the surface weren't very apparent.
Now, for the last week or so, I'm not seeing any trace of an ice cap,
but the surface is more readily visible.

I've read about the ice cap receding. Has this happened, or maybe the
cap has rotated out of view?
Old September 11th 03, 07:49 PM
David Knisely

Hi there. You posted:

I've read about the ice cap receding. Has this happened, or maybe the
cap has rotated out of view?

It happens every Martian spring and summer as the poles get warmer and the
frozen Carbon Dioxide caps evaporate and shrink. In the fall and winter, the
CO2 once again freezes out onto the surface and the polar cap expands once
again. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old September 11th 03, 09:42 PM
PatDotson

David Knisely wrote:

Hi there. You posted:

I've read about the ice cap receding. Has this happened, or maybe the
cap has rotated out of view?

It happens every Martian spring and summer as the poles get warmer and the
frozen Carbon Dioxide caps evaporate and shrink. In the fall and winter, the
CO2 once again freezes out onto the surface and the polar cap expands once
again. Clear skies to you.

Should the ice cap still be visible now? That was the question since I could see it a couple of weeks ago, but can't see it now.

Thanks

----------
Sent via SPRACI - http://www.spraci.net/ - Parties,Raves,Clubs,Festivals

Old September 11th 03, 09:42 PM
PatDotson

Hi there. You posted:

Old September 11th 03, 10:40 PM
David Staup

Yes it's still visible.

PatDotson wrote:

Hi there. You posted:

Old September 11th 03, 10:40 PM
David Staup

Yes it's still visible.

PatDotson wrote:

Hi there. You posted:

Old September 12th 03, 06:02 AM
David Knisely

Should the ice cap still be visible now? That was the question since I could see it a couple of weeks ago, but can't see it now.

Yes, it is still visible, but it is now quite small looking like a tiny white
spot rather than the larger oval it was last month. I can still just see it
in my 4 inch refractor at about 200x. Clear skies to you.