Why is a LOX/Kero SSTO not rather easy?

Old September 15th 03, 05:50 PM
Rand Simberg

Default Why is a LOX/Kero SSTO not rather easy?

On 15 Sep 2003 11:08:58 -0400, in a place far, far away, jeff findley
made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

(Rand Simberg) writes:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:39:01 GMT, in a place far, far away, Michael
Walsh made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

The demise of the X-33 is much more a result of bad
management than either technical failure
(composite LH2 tanks) or even a bad selection of
the winning X-33 concept.

I disagree. The selection was awful, on a number of counts as (I
don't hesitate to point out) I pointed out at the time.

I remember those times. There was a lot of disgust that NASA picked
the winner with the coolest new technology to explore. Instead, it
would have been nice to pick the winner based on which was most likely
to successfully fly, which would have meant picking the winner with
the least amount of new technology.

They also picked a contractor that clearly had no intention whatsoever
of building a commercial launch system with its own money.

Old September 16th 03, 02:08 AM
Michael Walsh

Rand Simberg wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:39:01 GMT, in a place far, far away, Michael
Walsh made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

The demise of the X-33 is much more a result of bad
management than either technical failure
(composite LH2 tanks) or even a bad selection of
the winning X-33 concept.

I disagree. The selection was awful, on a number of counts as (I
don't hesitate to point out) I pointed out at the time.

I would have preferred the then McDonnell-Douglas concept myself
and the North American design would have been a lower risk concept.

However, when a contractor identifies something as the highest
risk part of the program (the conformal, composite LH2 tanks) and
then marches on to failure then I have to feel that type of management
would have resulted in failure with any selected concept.

Of course, since any other selected concept would have had different
management that is an argument for the importance of the concept
selection.

Mike Walsh

Old September 16th 03, 02:11 AM
Michael Walsh

(Rand Simberg) writes:

[...]

I believe that was true of all of the contractors.

I can also make an argument that the way NASA structured the
competition there was no possible way this could have been
accomplished.

Mike Walsh

Old September 16th 03, 03:40 AM
Rand Simberg

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 01:11:26 GMT, in a place far, far away, Michael
Walsh made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

They also picked a contractor that clearly had no intention whatsoever
of building a commercial launch system with its own money.

I believe that was true of all of the contractors.

It may have been, but it was *obviously* true of Lockmart, simply
based on their joke of a business plan.

I can also make an argument that the way NASA structured the
competition there was no possible way this could have been
accomplished.

That may be true as well.