A human Mars mission?

Old August 15th 03, 09:17 PM
Hop David

Default A human Mars mission?

Christopher wrote:

You can establish a space based human society on a planet better then
on an artificial stucture like a space station.

Your argument against habitats built from asteroids has been lack of
gravity.

You do _not_ need a torus 5 miles wide spinning at 3 rpm to get an earth
gravity.

Hop
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old August 15th 03, 09:31 PM
Hop David

Jason Rhodes wrote:

Atmosphere is not what protects against cosmic rays. It protects against
UV.

Jason

From a National Geographic review of the movie _Core_
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...27_tvcore.html

"I don't want to diminish enthusiasm for the movie, but I don't think
anybody would notice if the magnetic field disappeared," said Jack
Connerney, a planetary scientist at Goddard Space Flight Center, in
Greenbelt, Maryland.

"The ionosphere and atmosphere would keep out much of the solar wind and
radiation," said Connerney, so although the radiation would increase
slightly, life on Earth would not fry.

Old August 15th 03, 11:59 PM
George William Herbert

Christopher wrote:
If you insist there was a colony contemporary to Roanoke Island,
please provide reputable sources to prove its name, location, etc.
Otherwise, please retract this claim.

No.

In other words, you openly admit to being unable to support your
claims...

Can you remember all details of a subject of a tv program you saw
several months ago?

And refuse to retract them on top of that?

No.

What you are claiming here is in contradiction to
numerous standard histories and archaeological texts,
there isn't any news report I can find about such
a exhumation at Roanoke, or any of the other claims
you are making here.

You *cannot* just go around making claims that extreme
and then refuse to supply some sort of further reference
or documentation, and refuse to retract them, and expect
to have any credibility left afterwards, Christopher.

Doesn't Horizons have a website with summaries of previous
stories on it, or can't you call their offices and ask
for some info on it? Come on. Just because you only
saw it once months ago doesn't mean the information is lost
for all time. It's lost to lazy access, but if you expect
to be taken seriously you need to be willing to put some
effort in sometimes.

If you misremembered something they were reporting then
that's not a huge blow to your credibility. We all make
that sort of mistake sometimes, but copping to it is important.
Covering it up is a sophomoric move, and death on your
reputation both online and in real life.

If they reported something which is incorrect,
I want to know why.

If they reported something new accurately I want to
know why it's not covered in any archaeological journal
or other news medium that I would expect to see it in.

-george william herbert

Old August 16th 03, 01:52 AM
Hop David

Jason Rhodes wrote:
"Hop David" wrote in message

Jason Rhodes wrote:

Atmosphere is not what protects against cosmic rays. It protects

against

UV.

Jason

From a National Geographic review of the movie _Core_
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...27_tvcore.html

"I don't want to diminish enthusiasm for the movie, but I don't think
anybody would notice if the magnetic field disappeared," said Jack
Connerney, a planetary scientist at Goddard Space Flight Center, in
Greenbelt, Maryland.

"The ionosphere and atmosphere would keep out much of the solar wind and
radiation," said Connerney, so although the radiation would increase
slightly, life on Earth would not fry.

From Scientific American:
http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_quest...B7809EC588F2D7

"It is not easy to predict the effects of the decrease. The Earth's magnetic
field extends outward from the Earth forming a shield which focuses cosmic
rays towards the magnetic poles and away from other latitudes. In the
absence of this magnetic field, or magnetosphere, these cosmic rays would
bombard the entire Earth with a higher intensity that today. The effects of
cosmic rays on life in general are not known for sure, but it is expected
that they would cause tissue damage similar to the effects of x-rays."

So it is not clear to me what the correct answer is.

Well, your source doesn't say the atmosphere gives no protection. I'd
think that if magnetic reversals left us as unprotected as, say, the
surface of the moon, then extinctions would have been much more dramatic.

I do think that on Mars, we cannot expect the magnetic field or atmosphere
to block cosmic rays.

Jason

That's my opinion too (FWIW).