New Apollo 8 documentary on PBS October 31st

Old October 12th 05, 08:16 PM

Default New Apollo 8 documentary on PBS October 31st

Hi all --
Thought you'd like to know that there is a new Apollo 8 documentary
being broadcast on PBS "American Experience" on the evening of October
31st. This film has been in the works for several years. I was
involved and from what I have seen they did a good job. Some good
interviews with the crew and others involved in the mission. Also
there is a website for the program at:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/moon/index.html
-- Andy Chaikin

Old October 13th 05, 08:53 AM
Brad Guth

Another PBS/NOVA infomercial:

How to brown-nose snooker humanity for all it's worth, and without a
stitch of remorse. Even their entro page shows us a nearly snow-white
moon. At least there's little question that Apollo-8 had at the very
least robotically obtained each of those shots.

Their "GALLERY" of Earth shots is impressive, in that Earth is so gosh
darn much bigger than any similar image obtained from the surface.
Going by the lunar horizon proves that it's not any telephoto
distortion.
~

Life upon Venus, a township w/Bridge & ET/UFO Park-n-Ride Tarmac:
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-town.htm
The Russian/China LSE-CM/ISS (Lunar Space Elevator)
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm
Venus ETs, plus the updated sub-topics; Brad Guth / GASA-IEIS
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm
Kurt Vonnegut would have to agree; War is war, thus "in war there are
no rules" - In fact, war has been the very reason of having to deal
with the likes of others that haven't been playing by whatever rules,
such as GW Bush.

Old October 14th 05, 01:09 AM
Pat Flannery

Terrell Miller wrote:

....Yeah, but what gets me is *why* they're skedding this for
Halloween. You'd figure Chrisnukkah would be more apropos, considering
the mission.

somehow I doubt that ever occurred to the programnmers at PBS

Yeah, somebody would be mad at the tie-in.
Chrisnukah (I like that term BTW, OM) will be time to telecast shows on
the history of Buddhism.
I still want Hanukah Harry to show up.
"Come down the chimney?! Don't you think my people have had enough
experience with chimneys? I'll use the front door, thank you very
much..." ;-)

Pat
Old October 14th 05, 08:42 AM
OM

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:20:39 -0500, Brian Thorn
wrote:

Television viewing goes way down from the week before Christmas to the
week after New Year's. Everybody is out shopping, traveling, partying,
etc. That's why networks rarely air new episodes of their popular
shows during the holidays. Frequently, the avoid new episodes entirely
between Thanksgiving and the week after New Year's.

....As long-time ssher's know, I used to *work* for a See-BS affiliate.
I *know* how the Chrisnukkah season operates WRT new shows. Pee-BS
doesn't count. Never has. Never will. It's in it's own little
universe.

OM

--

"Try Andre Dead Duck Canadian Champagne! | http://www.io.com/~o_m
Rated the lamest of the cheapest deported | Sergeant-At-Arms
Old October 14th 05, 08:48 AM
OM

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:09:44 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Chrisnukah (I like that term BTW, OM)

....Yeah, I came up with that one back in junior high. A buddy of
mine's parents went through a messy divorce right before Hannukah, and
her mother was *adamant* that she become 100% Jewish and abandon all
aspects of her Catholic father's side of religion. He was demanding
the opposite, naturally, and it was tearing her in two. She actually
liked celebrating *both* holidays, because it meant twice the fun and
a lot more presents, naturally. I told her that when you get down to
it, they're both celebrating the same God/Yahweh(*) - although the
verdict was out on Allah at that stage in our game - so what the hell
was wrong with a) defying both idiots pretending to be parents and b)
celebrate Chrisnukkah, combining the best of both celebrations. She
wound up running away and moved in with her aunt - her mom's sister -
and they both celebrated Christmas and Hannukah together, just as I
suggested.

Well, maybe not as I suggested. They didn't put presents under the
menorah and use blinky tree lights instead of the sacred oil...

(*) Roddenberry hadn't joined the Godhead at this stage, natch.
OM

Old October 14th 05, 08:53 AM
OM

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:06:24 -0400, "Terrell Miller"
wrote:

somehow I doubt that ever occurred to the programnmers at PBS

....Yeah, these are the guys who cancelled "Electric Company" despite
the fact that it was doing far more good for the post-"Sesame Street"
punks than any other program they've ever done, and yet they'll
continue to rerun that painting show with the poof with the tan afro
who's been dead, what? 20 years now?

It's no wonder Congress keeps wanting to cut their funding...

OM

Old October 14th 05, 06:01 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Yeah, I came up with that one back in junior high. A buddy of
mine's parents went through a messy divorce right before Hannukah, and
her mother was *adamant* that she become 100% Jewish and abandon all
aspects of her Catholic father's side of religion.

Wow! It's "Bridget Loves Bernie - The Next Generation"! :-)

Pat

NASA PDF - Apollo Experience Reports - 114 reports Rusty History 1 July 27th 05 03:52 AM
NASA PDF Mercury, Gemini, Apollo reports free online Rusty Barton History 81 October 3rd 04 05:33 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM