Bad News from Rosamond

Old June 27th 05, 04:37 AM
Starlord

Default Bad News from Rosamond

Well, I'm out of action for awhile. The winds had died down,
so I put the last of my stuff on the wagon and started up
20th ST West. About 1/2 the way between the last house near
this park and the next RV park up the street, I heard a car
coming up behind me, so I just made sure I was as far to the
right as I could be and still be on the road. Then it happened,
the car when by and I turned to look just in time to see a
freaking teen in white shirt and shaved head leaning out the
car window push my whole scope over and then the car peeled
out.

Damages: Main mirror off it's cell, Foucer busted off,
got to check out telrad, 2nd mirror spider bent and mirror
chipped, Rockerbox needs repaired.

So this week I'll be repairing things and hope to have it
all together next weekend.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
About my Car
http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

Old June 27th 05, 06:35 AM
Uncle Bob

Starlord wrote:
Well, I'm out of action for awhile. The winds had died down,
so I put the last of my stuff on the wagon and started up
20th ST West. About 1/2 the way between the last house near
this park and the next RV park up the street, I heard a car
coming up behind me, so I just made sure I was as far to the
right as I could be and still be on the road. Then it happened,
the car when by and I turned to look just in time to see a
freaking teen in white shirt and shaved head leaning out the
car window push my whole scope over and then the car peeled
out.

Damages: Main mirror off it's cell, Foucer busted off,
got to check out telrad, 2nd mirror spider bent and mirror
chipped, Rockerbox needs repaired.

So this week I'll be repairing things and hope to have it
all together next weekend.

I would like to make a match-pledge of $250 to the Bishop Car Fund.
If other SAA'ers contribute, I will match their contributions up to a
total of $250. Your $250 and my $250 should make an impact on the
vehicle, and hopefully, we can put this silliness behind us for awhile.
I think the Lone Sidewalk Astronomer of Rosamond needs a little jump start.
What say you?

Uncle Bob
renglish_at_sonic_dawt_net
Old June 27th 05, 11:59 PM
Robin Wier

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message
ng.com...
Starlord wrote:
[...]

I'll go for $100 of that after the 1st (next Monday). Give me a name to put
on the check and a mailing address.
Robin

Old June 28th 05, 12:53 AM
Wayne Howell

Robin Wier wrote:
Give me a name to put
on the check and a mailing address.

Me too.....I'll go for $ 50.

Wayne Howell
Photon Phlats Observatory
Port Townsend, WA
Old June 28th 05, 02:19 AM
Robin Wier

"Robin Wier" wrote in message

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message
ng.com...
Starlord wrote:
[...]

I would like to follow up on my own post.

A while back I seem to remember a post by someone that was not positive as
to Starlord. I would appreciate it if a well known regular (could be any
with good news group skills) would make sure that there is no obvious
connection (posting from same computer, living in same city or town, etc.)
between Starlord, Uncle Bob, Wayne, myself, etc.

Obviously, any donations would get to Starlord, but I would feel
psychologically defrauded. If any well known disinterested regular would
check this out and the results are positive, I would consider increasing my
pledge. Let's check it out first and then dip into Uncle's deep pockets. :-)

Robin

Old June 28th 05, 03:02 AM
Uncle Bob

Robin Wier wrote:
"Robin Wier" wrote in message

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message
ting.com...

Starlord wrote:

[...]

FWIW, Uncle Bob lives in Fairfax, CA, north of San Francisco. Starlord
(Dennis Bishop) lives in Rosamond, CA, in the mojave area.
I see we're up to about $300 if everyone delivers on their pledges (I
think). I know Dennis really lives in Rosamond, because he received
some CD's I mailed to him a few months ago. I've never actually met him.
Uncle Bob is also on the Board of Directors of the San Francisco Amateur
Astronomers, if that helps my credibility. You may find some reference
to me on their website or their newsletters. (http://sfaa-astronomy.org)
You can give me a call, if you wish. My number is in the phone book for
Marin County CA (Fairfax).
Warmest Regards,
Uncle Bob (Robert English)
Fairfax, CA
Old June 28th 05, 03:10 AM
Bill Becker

Yeah, and I sent Starlord an ocular when he was in dire need of oculars so
what did I get when I *accidentally* posted an off topic message here(meant
for another newsgroup) which I immediately cancelled when I saw my error?
A nice, "friendly" plonk. I'll NEVER help him again.

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message
ng.com...
Robin Wier wrote:
"Robin Wier" wrote in message

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message
sting.com...

Old June 28th 05, 03:29 AM
Wayne Howell

Uncle Bob......

I'll make out a check for Starlord (Dennis Bishop) and mail it to you
for verification for your matching. You can send whatever you get on to
him.

I've gotten far more than that amount of enjoyment of just knowing
him--through s.a.a......it's worth it for me to help out. Besides, on
occasion others helped me, so now it's my turn.

Wayne Howell
Photon Phlats Observatory
Port Townsend, WA
Old June 28th 05, 03:39 AM
Robin Wier

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message
ng.com...
Robin Wier wrote:
"Robin Wier" wrote in message

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message
sting.com...

Starlord wrote:

[...]

How about a Fairfax mailing address and I'll send you a check made out to
Dennis for you to match and forward. I'll do it a week from today after I
pay my bills, and see what I can do.

Old June 28th 05, 03:45 AM
Tom Hise

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:35:59 -0700, Uncle Bob
wrote:

I would like to make a match-pledge of $250 to the Bishop Car Fund.
If other SAA'ers contribute, I will match their contributions up to a
total of $250. Your $250 and my $250 should make an impact on the
vehicle, and hopefully, we can put this silliness behind us for awhile.
I think the Lone Sidewalk Astronomer of Rosamond needs a little jump start.
What say you?

I'll take $50 of the action. My check will go out to him tomorrow.

Thanks Uncle Bob for leading the way.

--
Tom Hise - NCØO
N42° 06' 41" - W91° 52' 59"