Tons of Buran stuff

Old May 13th 05, 09:15 AM
Pat Flannery

Default Tons of Buran stuff

I'm still digging around through this immense Russian language Buran
site, but there are tons of good links on this page to _very_ detailed
drawings and photos of the Buran Shuttle and Energia booster components:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/mapsite.htm
Start with the link next to the drawing of the Energia/Buran stack
ascending, about a sixth of the way down the page, and work down from
there. There are a lot of pages on just about everything about the
spacecraft, down to details of its mechanical arm and landing gear. Pity
whoever had to do the drawing of every individual tile's position on the
orbiter. Many of the pages have tons of links to other pages so this can
keep you busy for many hours. Check all the images to see if they are
linked to things- as many are, but don't say so.
One of many impressive things is on this page:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/kompon.htm
....hit the "zoom in" button on the cutaway 3/4 view of the Buran with
the red numbers on it that is located halfway down the page. The numbers
are noted on the bottom of the page that will come up, and are linked to
webpages on all the spacecraft's details, with photos, drawings, and
animations of how that part is designed and works. Then hit it again on
the two images that are on it. These will come up as very large and
detailed images of the spacecraft's interior design; one in black in
white, the other in color.
I wish NASA had something like this for the Shuttle
There are a lot more photos starting on this other page also:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/foto.htm

Pat

Old May 13th 05, 08:46 PM

Is it my imagination or has this site been sizably enlarged in the last
year or so? Been quite a while since a I actually been through its.
But I don't recall the higher quality photos and large file sizes. In
any case I have my work cut out for me this weekend, The garage will

Old May 13th 05, 08:51 PM
Everyone

Pat Flannery wrote:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/kompon.htm
...hit the "zoom in" button on the cutaway 3/4 view of the Buran with
the red numbers on it that is located halfway down the page. The numbers
are noted on the bottom of the page that will come up, and are linked to
webpages on all the spacecraft's details, with photos, drawings, and
animations of how that part is designed and works. Then hit it again on
the two images that are on it. These will come up as very large and
detailed images of the spacecraft's interior design; one in black in
white, the other in color.
I wish NASA had something like this for the Shuttle
There are a lot more photos starting on this other page also:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/foto.htm

Pat

OK, this has probably been asked-and-answered before, but what was the
"BTS-002 variant" with the aircraft turbofan engines?

Old May 13th 05, 10:01 PM
hop

Is it my imagination or has this site been sizably enlarged in the

last
year or so?

Yes, it seems like they keep adding material.

I wonder if anyone here has purchased their CDROM set:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/cd-rom.htm

Reviews ?

Old May 14th 05, 12:21 AM
Pat Flannery

Everyone wrote:

OK, this has probably been asked-and-answered before, but what was the
"BTS-002 variant" with the aircraft turbofan engines?

Originally, Buran (just like our Shuttle) was designed to have a pair of
jet engines to aid its crossrange landing ability, as well as allow it
to make a second landing approach if it botched it's initial landing
attempt- on Buran they were mounted in pods on either side of the
vertical fins that had flip-down doors over the intakes the shield the
intakes during takeoff and reentry. The original plan was to carry the
Buran aloft on the back of a modified twin finned "Bison" bomber (the
Soviet equivalent of our B-52), and do drop tests with it like we did
with our Enterprise/747 combo. The finished orbiter apparently was too
heavy for this to work in a flyable form (the pictures of it on top of
the Bison with its vertical fin removed are downright hilarious:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/3m.htm ) so the Soviets decided to add a further
motor to each side of the Buran's fuselage for the low speed flight
tests, and operate it from a Runway like a conventional aircraft for its
flight tests. Just like we had already discovered with our lifting body
program, it was a lot easier to do an unpowered descent to landing than
anyone thought it would be- and so the planned topside motors were
removed from the finished Buran design, which upped its cargo capacity.
The two side mounted motors were never intended for operational use on
the finished space-flying design, but were only for the low speed flight
tests. Still this gave them a lot more flying time experience than we
ever got out of our 747 glide drops.

Pat

More info on Constellation/CEV Douglas Holmes Policy 90 May 1st 05 07:26 PM
Scrapping Scram sanman Policy 28 November 7th 04 06:24 PM
Bechtel Nevada: Control of the World's Largest Nuclear Weapons Facilities * Astronomy Misc 0 May 2nd 04 05:29 PM
Maybe OT - Lunar resources Alan Erskine Policy 2 March 29th 04 08:30 AM
Cost of launch and laws of physics Greg Kuperberg Policy 235 August 30th 03 10:20 PM