Is Titan a saturnian Europa/Ganymede?

Old July 2nd 04, 08:28 PM
Bjørn Sørheim

Default Is Titan a saturnian Europa/Ganymede?

Just watched the Cassini Team news briefing today, Friday 2. of July.
They gave out the information that in the best images sofar they had of
Titan - better very soon coming up - that there is visible linear
crisscrossing features at some parts of Titan, and called them tectonic
linear features...

It occurred to me that if crisscrossing linear features are seen, they might
be linear cracks of an ice-covered body, just like the two (or three) of thr
galilean moons of Jupiter. We haven't heard much about water ice on Titan in
its history of exploration, but then Titan has a thick atmosphere (1.5 of
the earth's).
Of course it might be possible that the ice is the frozen result of not
water, but a mix of several ingredients, I don't know much different liquids
might seperate at this temperature and environment or not.
Is it possible that Titan to a not neglectable degree experiences
gravitational heating just like Io, Europa, Ganymede (and Callisto) of
Jupiter that warms up its interior to make water and other compounds liquid
under a thick ice cover?

Bjørn Sørheim

Old July 2nd 04, 08:49 PM
Bjørn Sørheim

Just to be more clear, I of course know the theories and hopes that Titan
may
have liquid oceans of ethane/methane (that are liquid even at the low
temperatures at this distance).
But gravitational heating might come up with a somewhat different story, as
well...

Bjørn Sørheim

"Bjørn Sørheim" skrev i melding

Old July 3rd 04, 02:33 AM
Jack

Bjørn Sørheim wrote:

[...]

I think it may be more like Io. There is plenty of methane in
the atmosphere, and that is a non-equilibrium condition (like
oxygen in our atomosphere). Something must be pumping methane
into the atmosphere, and assuming it's not life, then it could
be due to tidal squeezing of the planet which forces frozen
methane out of the planet and into the atmosphere, like
sulfur is forced out of Io.
Of course, if life were doing it, it would be so much more
interesting!
Jack

Old July 3rd 04, 05:58 AM
Robert Casey

Jack wrote:

Bjørn Sørheim wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't think it likely. Titan's orbit is nearly a circle (e=0.03) and
is not in resonant relationship to anything except a moon Hyperion
which is about 1/1000th of Titan's mass. Got this off of
http://www.nineplanets.org/data.html
So it would seem that Titan doesn't see much gravitational variation as
it orbits Saturn. And the Sun is way too far away to make any variation
of significance.

Old July 3rd 04, 06:29 PM
The Plankmeister

"Jack" wrote in message
Bjørn Sørheim wrote:

[...]

I don't know much about bio-chemistry or life sciences, but I think there is
ammonia based life on Titan... (This of course has nothing to do with the
fact that I have just finished reading Stephen Baxter's fine sci-fi novel
"Titan". : )

Old July 4th 04, 04:18 AM
Jack

Robert Casey wrote:
Jack wrote:

Bjørn Sørheim wrote:

[...]

Well, there is a bright plume of methane viewed by Cassini in
the southern hemisphe

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/g...jpg&type=image

so there is *something* releasing methane into the air. My guess would
be some kind of volcano that spews methane, like the sulfur spewing
volcanoes on Io.

Orbital eccentricity has nothing to do with it. Io's eccentricity is
less than Titan's (0.00 vs. 0.03). The heat is generated by the steep
gravity gradient between the planet facing side of the moon and
its far side, which "kneads" the moon.
Jack