What If - Saturn V never flew

Old September 16th 07, 06:26 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

Default What If - Saturn V never flew

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:28:30 -0400, "R.Glueck"
wrote:

We'd be missing one museum piece in Florida, and one terrific lawn ornament
in Houston.

....That, when I visited there finally last month, had a hole in the
roof where water had clearly leaked on the S-II stage and done some
discoloration to the new paint job.

The sickening punch line? The roof is *cloth*. X number of $M USD, and
they put a ****ing. cloth. roof. over it.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old September 16th 07, 08:40 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:
The sickening punch line? The roof is *cloth*. X number of $M USD, and
they put a ****ing. cloth. roof. over it.

And cloth from the lowest bidder also... and you know what _that_ means,
don't you?
Godless Chinese Commie Cloth!
Oh, the shame of it all!

Pat
Old September 16th 07, 08:52 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

wrote:

We'd be missing one museum piece in Florida, and one terrific lawn ornament
in Houston.

The Houston lawn ornament is indoors now.

Brian
Old September 16th 07, 08:55 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 12:26:13 -0500, OM
wrote:

We'd be missing one museum piece in Florida, and one terrific lawn ornament
in Houston.

...That, when I visited there finally last month, had a hole in the
roof where water had clearly leaked on the S-II stage and done some
discoloration to the new paint job.

The sickening punch line? The roof is *cloth*. X number of $M USD, and
they put a ****ing. cloth. roof. over it.

Good lord. And there are those campaigning for one of the Shuttles to
go there after retirement? I hope the Smithsonian tells Houston what
to go do with itself.

Brian
Old September 16th 07, 11:33 PM posted to sci.space.history
Doc Smartass

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

OM wrote:
The sickening punch line? The roof is *cloth*. X number of $M USD, and
they put a ****ing. cloth. roof. over it.

And cloth from the lowest bidder also... and you know what _that_ means,
don't you?
Godless Chinese Commie Cloth!

Better check it for lead!

--
Doc Smartass
Old September 17th 07, 01:28 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Doc Smartass wrote:
And cloth from the lowest bidder also... and you know what _that_ means,
don't you?
Godless Chinese Commie Cloth!

Better check it for lead!

Yeah, the Russians used some of that on the roof of their rocket
assembly building at Baikonur, and then...
http://chapters.marssociety.org/winn...nur/remain.jpg

Pat
Old September 18th 07, 12:20 AM posted to sci.space.history
Doc Smartass

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

Doc Smartass wrote:
And cloth from the lowest bidder also... and you know what _that_
means, don't you?
Godless Chinese Commie Cloth!

Better check it for lead!

Yeah, the Russians used some of that on the roof of their rocket
assembly building at Baikonur, and then...
http://chapters.marssociety.org/winn...nur/remain.jpg

Yikes.

Should fill building with helium to make the roof lighter./Boris

--
Doc Smartass
Old September 18th 07, 04:27 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Doc Smartass wrote:
Yikes.

Should fill building with helium to make the roof lighter./Boris

That's sort of what happened; the part of the roof that collapsed hit
the floor at high speed, causing a mass of pressurized air to blast up
around it and raise the rest of the roof up, and then it too collapsed.
The ultimate irony? The reason the roof fell in was that they had piled
materials to repair the roof on top of it, as they thought it was
becoming structurally unsound with age.
Yes, the Russians are the the ones who invented the concept of cutting a
circular hole in the floor as you stand on the circle, and drilling a
hole in the bottom of a leaking boat so the water will run out.
Here we see Komarov, Chelomei, and Yangel - the three masterminds of the
Soviet space program - raising a toast to the beginning of the
construction of the Baikonur Cosmodrome: http://tinyurl.com/33pgfx

Pat
Old September 21st 07, 11:47 PM posted to sci.space.history
Proponent

On Sep 12, 1:13 pm, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:
An alternative history scenario?

What if Apollo 4 and 6 had been disasters and it became clear that pogo and
other issues made a Saturn V flight before 1971 impossible?

What could have been done differently to adopt EOR and the use of Saturn IBs
a viable "first to the moon" option before the end of the decade?

Perhaps some sort of salvo launch? Saturn IB for the CSM (though I don't
think it could have flown with a full fuel load on the IB as designed), one
for the LM and 1-3 for some sort of Lunar injection booster?

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

By stretching tanks and adding SRBs, the Saturn IB's LEO capability
could have been boosted to about 35 tonnes (metric) -- see
astronautix.com for the details on the Saturn-IB-D, and the Saturn
INT-12 and -13. With that capability, a lunar landing could have been
carried out with 5 launches, as described in this thread (see posts 41
and following):

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.s...c4e119fddc7417

(If the link doesn't work, it was the thread entitled "WI: No Saturn
V, Using Smaller Rockets to Get to the Moon in the 1960s," started 29
Sep. 2006.)

Old August 6th 08, 02:12 AM posted to sci.space.history
DR SMITH

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:13:16 -0400, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

An alternative history scenario?

What if Apollo 4 and 6 had been disasters and it became clear that pogo
and
other issues made a Saturn V flight before 1971 impossible?

People would be saying that the Gemini flights were fake! :-)
--
Replace you know what by j to email

This old, but still funny as hell

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aH...eature=related

NASA Astronauts Flew Drunk! G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 3 July 29th 07 09:07 AM
SCA Just flew over my house Walter L. Preuninger II Space Shuttle 2 August 20th 05 05:46 AM
X-43A flew Scott Lowther Policy 3 March 28th 04 01:38 PM
They done it! They done it! Damned if they ain't flew! Scott Lowther History 6 December 20th 03 11:02 PM
They done it! They done it! Damned if they ain't flew! Rusty B History 1 December 18th 03 06:47 AM