2003 QO104 This time a big moose!

Old September 8th 03, 09:33 PM
Al Jackson

Default 2003 QO104 This time a big moose!

Check out

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2003qo104.html

2nd guy to be a Torino Scale 1, in the last few weeks. It may go away too, but
2009 is a lot closer than 2014!
2.8 km in diameter!
Still enought time to build a manned asteroid expedition.
Old September 9th 03, 09:26 AM
Paul Blay

"Al Jackson" wrote ...
Check out

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2003qo104.html

2nd guy to be a Torino Scale 1, in the last few weeks. It may go away too, but
2009 is a lot closer than 2014!

No practical difference. Both are probably 'too soon' for anything but passive defensive
measures (e.g. building shelters and preparing for emergency evacuation of coastal areas).

2.8 km in diameter!
Still enough time to build a manned asteroid expedition.

I wouldn't place any bets on a successful mission in that time frame.
Old September 9th 03, 01:55 PM
Al Jackson

"Paul Blay" wrote in message ...
"Al Jackson" wrote ...
Check out

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2003qo104.html

2nd guy to be a Torino Scale 1, in the last few weeks. It may go away too, but
2009 is a lot closer than 2014!

No practical difference. Both are probably 'too soon' for anything but passive defensive
measures (e.g. building shelters and preparing for emergency evacuation of coastal areas).

2.8 km in diameter!
Still enough time to build a manned asteroid expedition.

I wouldn't place any bets on a successful mission in that time frame.

By the by , the Impact Table has changed since yesterday, two more
Torino Scale entries for this bugger, total of 3 1's now. The 2034
approach is set at 4.5 earth radii, and the sigma impact is only .21.
Still impact probabilities are small.
Old September 10th 03, 03:54 AM
pete

on 9 Sep 2003 05:55:32 -0700, Al Jackson sez:
` "Paul Blay" wrote in message ...
` "Al Jackson" wrote ...
` Check out
`
[...]

Remember, today's potential impactor is tomorrow's potential space
platform... Rocks in the tens of metres with low relative velocities
would be rather handy if `nudged'( -- much expense and technology
hides here) into HEO. Km scale objects, though, I don't think we'll
be in any shape to manipulate for quite a while, beyond heroic
efforts to nudge them at great orbital remove to kindly agree to
abondon their intention to intersect with us in the near future.

Pete Vincent
Disclaimer: all I know I learned from reading Usenet.
Old September 13th 03, 11:16 AM
Ian Stirling

Al Jackson wrote:
Check out

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2003qo104.html

2nd guy to be a Torino Scale 1, in the last few weeks. It may go away too, but
2009 is a lot closer than 2014!
2.8 km in diameter!
Still enought time to build a manned asteroid expedition.

I wonder if we'd ever see on that page "impact probability = 1" for anything
significant.

Given that 'they' would have maybe a couple of months to plan stuff before
the big announcement if the probability just climbed to 10^-5 and then dropped
to zero.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
Money is a powerful aphrodisiac, but flowers work almost as well.
Old September 13th 03, 08:39 PM
Al Jackson

Ian Stirling wrote in message ...
Al Jackson wrote:
Check out

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2003qo104.html

2nd guy to be a Torino Scale 1, in the last few weeks. It may go away too, but
2009 is a lot closer than 2014!
2.8 km in diameter!
Still enought time to build a manned asteroid expedition.

I wonder if we'd ever see on that page "impact probability = 1" for anything
significant.

Given that 'they' would have maybe a couple of months to plan stuff before
the big announcement if the probability just climbed to 10^-5 and then dropped
to zero.

Yeah, should always give JPL a week , or so, or more observations,
before taking the table to heart. I think the British guy's got gun
shy on QO104 after some 'chicken little' calls.
Still it amazes me that there are 2 km potential Earth impactors
wafting about, and one that might have our name on it.
Old September 15th 03, 09:43 AM
Paul Blay

"Al Jackson" wrote ...
Yeah, should always give JPL a week , or so, or more observations,
before taking the table to heart. I think the British guy's got gun
shy on QO104 after some 'chicken little' calls.
Still it amazes me that there are 2 km potential Earth impactors
wafting about, and one that might have our name on it.

One /does/ have our name on it. ... (pick one from following)

- But our telescopes aren't good enough to read the writing at that distance.

- But by that time all our names are already going to be written on tombstones.
Old September 15th 03, 03:30 PM
Al Jackson

"Paul Blay" wrote in message ...
"Al Jackson" wrote ...
Yeah, should always give JPL a week , or so, or more observations,
before taking the table to heart. I think the British guy's got gun
shy on QO104 after some 'chicken little' calls.
Still it amazes me that there are 2 km potential Earth impactors
wafting about, and one that might have our name on it.

One /does/ have our name on it. ... (pick one from following)

- But our telescopes aren't good enough to read the writing at that distance.

- But by that time all our names are already going to be written on tombstones.

:^) True enough,... ,

(Welp is 'bullet with your name on it' a British saying too?)
Old September 15th 03, 04:23 PM
Paul Blay

"Al Jackson" wrote ...
"Paul Blay" wrote in message ...
"Al Jackson" wrote ...
Still it amazes me that there are 2 km potential Earth impactors
wafting about, and one that might have our name on it.

One /does/ have our name on it. ... (pick one from following)

- But our telescopes aren't good enough to read the writing at that distance.

- But by that time all our names are already going to be written on tombstones.

:^) True enough,... ,

(Welp is 'bullet with your name on it' a British saying too?)

I'd guess it was around in WW I.
That was the one the British played some part in. ;-)
Old September 15th 03, 11:48 PM
George William Herbert

Al Jackson wrote:
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2003qo104.html

The solutions at 2034 is still there, at less than 2 Earth Radii.
Will probably change again.

But 2 of the Torino 1's have dropped off the risk list. This guy such has a lot
of passes inside the Moon's orbit.

Man, this guy has a lot of possible passes inside *GEO*...

Am I reading this right that deltaV as it goes by is around 9 km/s?

-george william herbert