From The Earth To The Moon

Old December 24th 04, 12:48 AM
Pat Flannery

Andre Lieven wrote:

Having seen the series on both VHS and DVD ( Owning the latter ), I
would heartily recommend the DVD set.

Since the recordings are on two VHS tapes that I already had recorded
other things on (Bye-bye "The Blue Angel" with May Britt and Curt
Jurgens*) the effective price of this operation was zero, other than the
electricity used to run the VCR recorder.
Not perfect, but as comrade Stalin would warn us "The perfect is the
enemy of the good enough...in a perfect world you would be flayed alive,
but in this case shooting you is good enough..." :-)

* And Curt Jurgens played Wernher von Braun in "I Aim At The
Stars"...now this led to an interesting alternate history timeline: The
year is 1930, and 18 year old Wernher von Braun is completely smitten by
Marlene Dietrich's portrayal of Lola-Lola in Sternberg's "Blue
Angel"...to the degree that he begins to woo her via small love notes
fired into her window on cunningly made small solid-fueled
rockets...impressed by the handsome young scientist who can not only
promise a girl the Sun, the Moon, and the stars....but has the
mathematical formulas to show her how he intends to reach each of them,
Marlene begins a temptuous affair with Wernher...but Hitler's Nazi power
in Germany continues to grow, and Marlene and Wernher must flee from
Germany in disguise...he disguised as "Rakete- Der Feure Clown" and she
as "Lola-Lola- Der Degenerate Slut".
They flee to America where they settle in Hollywood- there Werner gets a
job as Gene Autry's hilarious sidekick "Rocket- The Rodeo Clown" and
Marlene stars as "Marlene- The Saloon Whore".
But a chance meeting with Jack Parsons at a Satanic Mass that Marlene is
holding as a Saturday night theme party brings Wernher to the attention
of the the Caltech rocket boys, and once that golden moment occurs
nothing can stop them... by the summer of 1942 Germany is under
bombardment by JPL-made "Liberty 2" rockets, and the war comes to a
quick end before Kennedy's PT-109 can be sunk- and he become a war hero
President who gets to snub Sammy Davis at his wedding to May Britt.
So it just goes to show you...it's always something.

Pat

Old December 24th 04, 01:18 AM

Mr. Miller,
Do you have ANY background in the military whatsoever? How do you
reduce mutiny to PMS? Hello? Can you produce a single test pilot who
has been shocked by changes in the flight plan? WHY was Schirra so
wound up? He's belly-aching about changes, about doing experiments HE
did not think were useful, and then declared war about whether or not
they were going to wear their helmets upon reentry. That is NOT
PMS...it's MUTINY. What's worse is, he tanked Eisele's and
Cunningham's careers in the process.

Old December 24th 04, 01:29 AM
Pat Flannery

Terrell Miller wrote:

well, ultimately what happened on A7 is they went round and round in circles
while bottled up in a tiny little spacecraft. Necessary for what came after,
hell yes. Dramatically interesting or relevant...nope.

Bottled up in a tiny little spacecraft with a head cold, a work schedule
that continues to evolve even though you warned them that you didn't
want it to do that, and finally telling Mission control to go stick it
and getting yourself in trouble just prior to retirement, and your crew
grounded permanently? Nothing near as interesting as throwing a switch
in the CM or burning out a TV camera there, is there?
I lived through the Apollo flights so I remember the mutiny happening;
others are too young to remember any of this, and I think that excising
it from the the show is to be guilty of cleaning up history into a
nicely polished and polite form for the sake of making it easily
digestible for those who are going to regard this as some sort of
history series, and use it as their prime source of information on Apollo.
Wally's cold medication commercial would have been the perfect way to
end the show, but just like WvB's barely visible appearance in the
miniseries, anything that doesn't fit right is going to get tossed right
out.

Pat

Old December 24th 04, 03:24 AM
Andre Lieven

Pat Flannery ) writes:
Andre Lieven wrote:

Having seen the series on both VHS and DVD ( Owning the latter ), I
would heartily recommend the DVD set.

Since the recordings are on two VHS tapes that I already had recorded
other things on (Bye-bye "The Blue Angel" with May Britt and Curt
Jurgens*) the effective price of this operation was zero, other than the
electricity used to run the VCR recorder.

Lord knows that I'm tight with a buck, at times, but there are other
times, and things, for which the wallet needs to be loosened, some.

I had the DVD set of FTETTM before I had more than two 2 disc sets of
Thunderbirds, which I got as gifts.

Not perfect, but as comrade Stalin would warn us "The perfect is the
enemy of the good enough...in a perfect world you would be flayed alive,
but in this case shooting you is good enough..." :-)

Don't say such things, to Canadians curently visiting the Sunshine/
Gunshine state.... g

* And Curt Jurgens played Wernher von Braun in "I Aim At The
Stars"...

I'll have a pound of what you're smokin'... :-)

Maybe a kilo....

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Old December 24th 04, 05:10 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Terrell Miller" wrote in message
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

As a piece of pro-NASA propaganda, the thing is great. NASA is always
right, and if it does make mistakes they weren't due to any fundamental
problems at NASA, no siree! It was those stinking reporters, and

meddling
Congressmen that are to blame... Tom Hanks' movies tend to resemble

Frank
Kapra's - nice, and sweet, and wholesome, and more than a bit simplistic
and saccharine, and sappy.

erm...Philadelphia? Saving Private Ryan?

Is that the one where his gumbo boat is rigged up to become invisible, and
he gets transported to France with is friend Wilson?

Old December 24th 04, 05:12 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Andre Lieven" wrote in message

Pat Flannery ) writes:
Andre Lieven wrote:

Having seen the series on both VHS and DVD ( Owning the latter ), I
would heartily recommend the DVD set.

Since the recordings are on two VHS tapes that I already had recorded
other things on (Bye-bye "The Blue Angel" with May Britt and Curt
Jurgens*) the effective price of this operation was zero, other than the
electricity used to run the VCR recorder.

Lord knows that I'm tight with a buck, at times, but there are other
times, and things, for which the wallet needs to be loosened, some.

Geesh, I'm ready to setup a s.s.h fund for Pat and pitch in and buy him the
damn DVDs.

Old December 24th 04, 06:36 AM
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Geesh, I'm ready to setup a s.s.h fund for Pat and pitch in and buy him the
damn DVDs.

Actually, having watched it all, I doubt I'll ever get around to
watching the tapes for a very long time, if ever. The thing is a little
too NASA PAO like in its "gosh, gee-whizz" Tom Hanks approach, but
fascinating as a piece of propaganda work.
Speaking of "gosh, gee-whizz" things, Jeffrey Bell wrote an interesting
article on how he got from Space Cadet to Space Critic:
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-04zq.html
I found the part about the Aldridge Commission phone call particularly
interesting. Not unexpected, considering the amount of money wrapped up
in the new Bush space initiative in regards to the aerospace industry,
and the administration's basic operating procedure that if you are not
one hundred percent with them, then you are a dangerous threat....but
interesting none the less.
And like Jeffrey Bell, I also have a copy of "The High Frontier" lying
around from the the good old days when everything was possible....as
long as you didn't look at the math any too hard. ;-)

Pat